Custom 4x4labs Bumper Kit Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I would post pictures of my changes to the 4x4labs bumper kit I am building. I wanted to be able to use only one swing out and not have to deal with the long single version. I have a sub tank that will go in soon, so I don't think I will need the can holder very much.

So instead of a single latch I used two and had them hook to the edge of the bumper. It's not as clean looking as Luke's normal design, but I think it's a nice compromise. It still needs lots of welding and grinding to finish things up.

Let me know what you guys think and if there are any problems you can see.
DSCN2863.JPG
DSCN2861.JPG
DSCN2862.JPG

More Pics
DSCN2859.JPG
DSCN2860.JPG
DSCN2857.JPG

Yet More Pictures
DSCN2866.JPG
DSCN2865.JPG
DSCN2864.JPG

Cool...keep up the good work....is that your R/C Car in the background???

looks good

I want to do something similar, dont like my spare under the truck and I like the double swing out idea
Are the water carriers going to be ok? Looks like there would not be enough bracing especially with how high you have them

Cool...keep up the good work....is that your R/C Car in the background???

Thanks! I purchased that buggy about 18 years ago. It's now a very expensive toy for my 4 year old boy.

QUESTION???: How does the Hi-Lift mount to the tire holder? I can't see how the holder would be welded to the arm. Can't find any pictures either.

looks good

I want to do something similar, dont like my spare under the truck and I like the double swing out idea
Are the water carriers going to be ok? Looks like there would not be enough bracing especially with how high you have them

I think it's fine. There is some bracing under there that doesn't show up in the pictures.

www.4x4labs.com will have all the information and detailed pictures.

I've got a couple of his spindles coming for a bumper project that I've started. I noticed the notch on the spindle collar and am wondering if that is used in conjunction with stops or for something else?

I've got a couple of his spindles coming for a bumper project that I've started. I noticed the notch on the spindle collar and am wondering if that is used in conjunction with stops or for something else?

Yes, a block welds to the bumper to limit the arm travel, collar rotation.

Yes, it's used as a stop to keep the swing arms from opening too far. A small flat bar gets welded to the top of the bumper. You can see more pics on the build link on his web site under bumpers.

Looks good, but I would want a more solid stop for the arms, like "ramp" steel stops that come in the kit.

Thanks! I'm going to grind back the plastic more as i finish things up as well.

Any ideas on the hi-lift mount. I'm confused on this one?

I want to mount it on the tire holder side though. That can holder is going to spend most of it's time stowed in the garage!

A couple of locals put them on the spare holder, but couldn't find any pix. Basically just used tube to make stand offs to place the jack where they wanted it.

Couple thoughts.... First I would have put the nylon pads for the swing outs on the bumper rather than on the swing outs. With them on the swing outs they will rub the finish (paint or powdercoat) off the bumper and you'll have a nice spot for rust on the bumper. With the nylon attached to the bumper, you might get a little of the same thing but it's on the bottom of the swing out arm and not visible.

Here's how I handled the hi-lift on my swingout. Just a simple plate for the base with a short peice of solid bar stock to fit into one of the holes on the jack base. You wouldn't need to add such a tall verticle support like I did, but I needed a mount for my rear facing work lamp. The high-lift is held on by a single large wingnut. Hasn't wiggled loose or rattled one bit in the past year of riding back there.

_MG_1233.jpg

Oh and if you think you need more of a stop for the swingouts, here's what I did with mine. Simple peice of angle welded to the bottom of the swingout. Obviously the angle works better against the square cornered bumper that I have. But I'm sure you could do something similar with the round edge of your bumper. I have a small rubber pad on the bumper to keep it from banging or scratching.

finishedlatch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom