Rear View Mirror (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a simple question. The Day/Light switch tab at the bottom of my rear view doesn't work anymore. Is there a way to fix this or am I stuck with adjusting this by hand?

Jersey dude!

I use to live in Vineland!

I can't help with your question but I did switch out my mirror a year ago. It is self dimming with an outside temp guage on it. Really like it and I got it on e-bay. Sorry for the poor pics.

Enjoy

dsc00683-176_525.jpg

dsc00660-143_525.jpg

That looks like a really nice rear view but I am just hoping I can fix the one I have. Your mirror looks like it takes some wire modifications. I'm not that good with tearing apart my interior for that kind of upgrade. If it is simple and descriptive and right to the point without me having to have extensive knowledge on auto wiring I could do it. How difficult was that mirror to install?

For the OP, sounds like you might have to deal with it or order a new direct replacement mirror from a dealer, or scavenge one from a wrecking yard. Likely some other Toyota product might work too.

jditom, more details please! Was it a bolt on or was the mount modified? Where did this come from originally? How is the temp measured and was that included when you bought the mirror?

Thanks, Dan.

For the OP, sounds like you might have to deal with it or order a new direct replacement mirror from a dealer, or scavenge one from a wrecking yard. Likely some other Toyota product might work too.

jditom, more details please! Was it a bolt on or was the mount modified? Where did this come from originally? How is the temp measured and was that included when you bought the mirror?

Thanks, Dan.

eBay search "mirror temp compass" and you will see many in the $50 price range. There is Gentex, Cipa and a bunch of them from production vehicles which are simply the Gentex and Cipa mirrors. At $50 you will probably not get any wiring, you would need two harnesses - the power and the temp probe. There are only a few variations on the power harness and they all seem to run the same temp probe. They are both also available on eBay and would run you about $35-40. The temp probe is supposed to be mounted in the front bumper.

They retail in the $200 range online.

Search ih8mud for Gentex to see what has been said already.

Bag it if you want but I have always been partial to Broadway Mirrors: 247Motoring.com
yeah they can sometimes suck for night driving but once you use it, it is hard to go back to a standard mirror size....

barrypt5

Your mirror looks like it takes some wire modifications. I'm not that good with tearing apart my interior for that kind of upgrade. If it is simple and descriptive and right to the point without me having to have extensive knowledge on auto wiring I could do it. How difficult was that mirror to install?

Wiring has been figured out:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/265227-how-tap-switched-power-moonroof-sunroof.html

Only hard part is getting your hands/tools in to tap the switched sunroof power. BTW, I still have a new scion mirror for sale in parts.

Thanks for the help and the link. So what would be the cost for this kind of mirror? Also, there is no mention of the temperature probe. Is this separate and how much does that cost?

I got a Gentex auto deming with compass and temp. I ran the wires down the pillar and got 12v there under the dash. I ran the temp probe out the fire wall and in the bumper. Pretty easy.
I went to a glass shop and they glued the mirror button on for $5.
Has been great for 2 years.
Price was low $100 range but they are cheaper now.

I got a Gentex auto deming with compass and temp. I ran the wires down the pillar and got 12v there under the dash. I ran the temp probe out the fire wall and in the bumper. Pretty easy.
I went to a glass shop and they glued the mirror button on for $5.
Has been great for 2 years.
Price was low $100 range but they are cheaper now.

I've decided to go with the Gentex mirror. Do you remember what the model or number was?

There are several Gentex mirrors with overlapping functionality. The model 177 can be found in both auto dimming, compass & temp or just auto dimming and compass.

I have the old mirror if you want it. Its yours for free plus the ride. PM if you want to go back to stock.

OEM mounting

anyone know if there is a way to do this and retain the original mounting point instead of "gluing" to the winshield?

anyone know if there is a way to do this and retain the original mounting point instead of "gluing" to the winshield?

I opened up a Gentex 177 mirror last night just to see if it was possible. The mirror mount on the 80 comes right in at the top of the mirror - the mount on the gentex is in back - er front - well on the side facing the windshield. There is no room in the top to go with the stock mounting point which really only leaves the possibility to extend the arm that comes down and somehow mate it with the stock mounting point on the Gentex.

I suppose if someone had access to vacuum molding equipment that could fashion a new backing plate for the mirror - but I doubt it would be cost-effective in any sense.

I was hoping to do the same - but in the end I believe I will go with the windshield button method.

I just gave a bunch of Gentex mirrors back to Gentex with a machine I built for them, didn't have any use for them, rats. Maybe I could've figured out an adapter to an 80. My work with them has ground to a halt, so no more samples to play with for a while. I'll let you guys know if I get any more.

I have the old mirror if you want it. Its yours for free plus the ride. PM if you want to go back to stock.

Thanks Pathfinder. That mirror saved me $$. I'll consider the Gentex mod later down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom