Oils, sparks, fluids, Co2s, is the cruiser picky? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to the store the other day and was going to a bunch of regular maintenance stuff, but then it hit me, maybe i should see if there a particular brands cruisers like or not like or anything decent will be fine?

Does the cruiser like stock OEM type spark plugs or fancy 2 4 point ones?
spark wires, regular OEM type or maybe get thicker ones?
How about engine oil, regular 10 30 or with higher miles, full synthetic?
Fuel filter OEM or anything good after market?
Axle fluids, royal blue, or regular gear oil, thickness or anything ok?
and last, co2 sensors, any particular brand or OEM is best?

all factory tune-up parts are the best, plugs wires and such. i use delo oil in my cruiser and most of the oil leaks have stoped and doesnt burn as much either.

Whenever there is a choice stick with OEM. I just dropped $340 on OEM PM stuff for my trucks.

co2 sensors

These are special order.

All of this has been covered in depth and many times over. The SEARCH button is your friend.

Does the cruiser like stock OEM type spark plugs or fancy 2 4 point ones? Toyota plugs
spark wires, regular OEM type or maybe get thicker ones? Toyota plug wires
How about engine oil, regular 10 30 or with higher miles, full synthetic? No simple answer. Covered in the "What Oil" section of the FAQ.
Fuel filter OEM or anything good after market? Toyota filters (Air, Oil, Fuel)
Axle fluids, royal blue, or regular gear oil, thickness or anything ok? Syn is good. Regular gear oil is OK.
and last, co2 sensors, any particular brand or OEM is best? Toyota O2 sensors

-B-

tank B! At autozone they didnt heither neither of the sensors, and i wasnt sure what axle oil to get to drain.

In answer to your question is the cruiser picky the answer is no these things were designed to be able to drive around the world and use every replacement part and bad gas there is and still get you to where you want to go. That's the best part about these cruisers by far. BUT and this is a big but if you want your cruiser to run at optimal performance you need to use quality parts not just auto zone made in china stuff.
OEM is the easiest way to go since you can get all from one place. But if you were to get quality wires like msd or taylor that fit the rig that is also ok.
These things were made to be abused so abuse away but like I said optimal performance demands quality parts. :beer:

The cruiser is not picky and takes anything.

The owners on ih8mud are not only super picky but also obsessive.

So, order all your parts from cdan at Toyota New Mexico and you pay no taxes (as long as you are not from New Mexico), no shipping (if you order over a certain amount), and gives you the biggest discount that you'll ever find at a dealer.

For example, tell him that you want to upgrade to the 100-series brake pads, and he'll explain the parts you need to make it work right the first time.

The cruiser is not picky and takes anything.

The owners on ih8mud are not only super picky but also obsessive.

So, order all your parts from cdan at Toyota New Mexico and you pay no taxes (as long as you are not from New Mexico), no shipping (if you order over a certain amount), and gives you the biggest discount that you'll ever find at a dealer.

For example, tell him that you want to upgrade to the 100-series brake pads, and he'll explain the parts you need to make it work right the first time.

do i just search toyota new mexico and find him through the site? or is her eon here an i PM him and he sends me invoice through paypal or something?

and why convert to 100, bigger stronger? just the fronts, and you would 100 calipers and everything or are we talking just pads only?

do i just search toyota new mexico and find him through the site? or is her eon here an i PM him and he sends me invoice through paypal or something?

and why convert to 100, bigger stronger? just the fronts, and you would 100 calipers and everything or are we talking just pads only?
The 100 pads will fit your calipers with some work. There is a thread on here just search. Cdan no longer takes pm's so you need to call him. look in the vendors list and there will be a number for american toyota in new mexico.

Oem OR ORDER FROM DENSO on the web,good people. Mike

cruiserdan took my pm last week which included my cell phone and my order. He asked me for a fax number to send me the invoice which he did. He then called me and I paid. I've done this several times already, so I didn't know that pm's were not preferred.

Click on the Vendor Market tab above this site and then on the Vendor List. He's at American Toyota in New Mexico and this is his ad on ih8mud https://forum.ih8mud.com/signaturepics/sigpic854_3.gif

You'll find a lot of other vendors with great parts/gadets/solutions for your 80. I recently went through most of the vendors and found some great products specific to the 80 (PHH, Tailgate storage, etc.).

In terms of the 100 series brake pads, it's only for the front and you have to do 2 things:
1) Either remove or modify the shims on the brake pads, so they fit.
2) Get new rotors so that the larger footprint of the 100 pads starts embedding onto the new rotor. Your old rotors have the footprint of the smaller 80 series brake pads and it's highly recommended that you don't put the larger 100 series brake pads on old rotors.

The advantage of the above mod is that the 100-series brake pads last a lot longer than the 80s pads. Mine lasted 43k miles and they still had some pad in them.

I was just throwing this mod as an example, so I didn't mean to sell it to you. There are a lot of other mods that you can find in the 80s FAQs and you can spend weeks researching them.

Last edited:
cruiserdan took my pm last week which included my cell phone and my order. He asked me for a fax number to send me the invoice which he did. He then called me and I paid. I've done this several times already, so I didn't know that pm's were not preferred.

that's strange the last time I tried to pm him it wasn't able to do it. It said he is not accepting pm's

The cruiser is not picky and takes anything. The owners on ih8mud are not only super picky but also obsessive.

I have many, many non-Toyota parts on my truck but when I can get the Toyota part then I buy it because it will work and it will fit.

We've had several guys try to hack the wiring for Bosch O2 sensors and a few of these have posted their story of giving up and installing the Toyota O2 sensors which (of course) work perfectly and fit perfectly. Truly plug-n-play with no need to figure out how to solder the gray wire to the green wire or is it the white wire to the black wire?

We have had guys fight mysterious problems with non-Toyota spark plug wires and post back that they gave up due to fitment issues and went back to Toyota wires.

We have had dozens of complaints of a whining noise when the engine is running. Switch back to Toyota belts and the noise is gone. Aftermarket U-joints are almost always a dismal failure. There are very, very few aftermarket seals that I would put on my truck, especially if it takes 5 hours to R&R the seal. It just isn't worth saving $5. Same with bearings.

In summary, if you want a part to work as designed by Mr T and you want it to fit, then buy a Toyota part... you won't be disappointed and you won't have to tear it back down and do the job over again. Call that obsessive if you choose but I think it is just good sense.

-B-

Dan sent me 2 oxygen sensors for my 94 for about $100, thats $50 each for denso's!
You can't beat that price, this was a no brainer for me.

I would'nt always assume that OEM parts are more money.....you might be suprised.

Definately, definately, definately buy OEM plug wires, I've had some bad experiences with cheap plug wires (like bosch) on some of my other vehicles...........(2 out of 8 wires went bad...poor quality)

OEM parts = peace of mind.

On the pm's, it's probably that his mailbox got full and wasn't taking anymore at that point. If this happens, then you have to call.

On the obsession, don't get me wrong...I use Toyota parts too. Your logic is good for the parts that you mentioned, but there are other parts that people obsess over like buying cases of a particular OEM oil filter, or using OEM wiper blades, or using OEM-red coolant.

I wonder if the owners of Hummers, Jeeps, Rovers, etc. also stay with their own OEM parts or not? Hmmm.

I wonder if the owners of Hummers, Jeeps, Rovers, etc. also stay with their own OEM parts or not? Hmmm.

Owners of domestics have many more choices for excellent quality aftermarket parts. Unfortunately the USA market footprint of an 80 series Land Cruiser is small, and so there are few sources of quality aftermarket parts. There is plenty of China made crap though, and that's the stuff you need to avoid. The most reliable way to do that, is to buy OEM.

If, god forbid, I were a Rover owner, I'd probably use Rover parts for the same reason that I use Toyota parts.

... people obsess over like buying cases of a particular OEM oil filter

Guilty as charged.

BTW, have you closely inspected a 20007 oil filter and compared it side-by-side to your beloved Fram filter?

:D

-B-

The correct number is 90915-20004. Memory slipping there B?

Dan hasn't let you tap into his stash of the new 20007 filters yet? :D

(Yes, the memory is going... along with everything else. :frown:)

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom