Speedi-Sleeve? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 71 Fj40 and the tcase was leaking from the ebrake. I replaced the seal, but found that the ebrake drum shaft was badly pitted. No way that was going to seal up. I just happened to have a spare tcase from an older 45 that had a good drum so used that one. I do want to repair the pitted drum, though, so I have a spare.

I have heard people talk about speedi-sleeves and the trivia section says: CR (Chicago Rawhide) 99177

My question is what exactly is a speedi-sleeve? How would it be installed? The site isn't showing pictures at the moment. I assume it is a machined sleeve that would be press fit after turning the shaft to match the ID of the sleeve. Am I close?

Can ya tell me anything else, like where to get one, , what they cost, what did it cost someone to get their ebrake drum restored, etc...

Thanks,

Steve

A speedi-sleeve, is just that, a sleeve that presses onto a wear surface to salvage the piece.

It does not require any machining to install, simply press/drive it onto the shaft.

Try google image....there are pages of info on your questions.

From the 'Trivia' tab at the very top of the screen...

"73- 3sp Speedi-Sleeve - CR (Chicago Rawhide) 99177
74+ 4sp 4Speedi-Sleeve - CR 99189 "

I have typed this up out here many times and will do it again:

There is only one speedi-sleeve for the Land Cruiser one piece transfer case parking brake drum from 1963-07/1980 and that is the CR (Chicago Rawhide) 99177

This info concerning the 74+ 4spd requiring a different speedi-sleeve is not correct.

The number 99177 is used by many auto supply houses.

NAPA, CarQuest, AutoZone, etc can get you this sleeve by asking for them to cross the CR part number.

Hiya Poser,

Yep, I mentioned looking in the Tech Trivia section... I really did ;)

But what a BONEHEAD I am... Google is my best friend. I was sitting here googling other crap and didn't think to google speedi-sleeves. :doh:

Thanks again for the info and slap on the cheek. I'm awake now :bounce:

I have a 71 Fj40 and the tcase was leaking from the ebrake. I replaced the seal, but found that the ebrake drum shaft was badly pitted. No way that was going to seal up. I just happened to have a spare tcase from an older 45 that had a good drum so used that one. I do want to repair the pitted drum, though, so I have a spare.

I have heard people talk about speedi-sleeves and the trivia section says: CR (Chicago Rawhide) 99177

My question is what exactly is a speedi-sleeve? How would it be installed? The site isn't showing pictures at the moment. I assume it is a machined sleeve that would be press fit after turning the shaft to match the ID of the sleeve. Am I close?

Can ya tell me anything else, like where to get one, , what they cost, what did it cost someone to get their ebrake drum restored, etc...

Thanks,

Steve

sor.com and many others have them

From the 'Trivia' tab at the very top of the screen...

"73- 3sp Speedi-Sleeve - CR (Chicago Rawhide) 99177
74+ 4sp 4Speedi-Sleeve - CR 99189 "

I have typed this up out here many times and will do it again:

There is only one speedi-sleeve for the Land Cruiser one piece transfer case parking brake drum from 1963-07/1980 and that is the CR (Chicago Rawhide) 99177

This info concerning the 74+ 4spd requiring a different speedi-sleeve is not correct.

I just fell victim to this. I purchased the CR 99189 for my Aussie 1978 FJ45 and it is way too big. I guess I should have measured it first and then figured out which sleeve I need. Off to get the CR 99177 tomorrow. Its just money right?

How much did it cost?

I just fell victim to this. I purchased the CR 99189 for my Aussie 1978 FJ45 and it is way too big. I guess I should have measured it first and then figured out which sleeve I need. Off to get the CR 99177 tomorrow. Its just money right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom