A440F cooler routing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somewhere in the history of my fj62, someone installed a tranny cooler, a smallish S and fin type. They also bypassed the radiator and went straight to the cooler with a terrible looking combination of hoses/pipes. I'm going to clean all that up, but my question is shouldn't the cooler, especially a rather small one, be in series with the radiator rather than the sole transmission cooler?

Somewhere in the history of my fj62, someone installed a tranny cooler, a smallish S and fin type. They also bypassed the radiator and went straight to the cooler with a terrible looking combination of hoses/pipes. I'm going to clean all that up, but my question is shouldn't the cooler, especially a rather small one, be in series with the radiator rather than the sole transmission cooler?

Yes. I have mine mounted after the radiator outlet, and used a fairly large plate style cooler. Here is a source for some nice coolers:

Hayden Transaver Plus transmission cooler: Bulkpart transmission parts

IIRC, Hayden makes the ones NAPA sells. I have mine in series after the rad cooler. If I were to do it again, I think I would put it before the rad cooler (or plumb in a switchable by-pass of it) as my fluid runs too cold in the winter. YMMV by geography.

IIRC, Hayden makes the ones NAPA sells. I have mine in series after the rad cooler. If I were to do it again, I think I would put it before the rad cooler (or plumb in a switchable by-pass of it) as my fluid runs too cold in the winter. YMMV by geography.

I agree with this, but based on the location of the driver side transmission input, it is much harder to plumb this way in FJ62s. I don't live in the frozen north either so figured what I did was better than nothing, but before the radiator makes more theoretical sense.

Thanks everybody. Does it matter which line from the transmission goes to which fitting hole in the radiator? And cruiserdrew, which one of those coolers did you get? The smallest one looks like it would be enough based on their ratings.

Thanks everybody. Does it matter which line from the transmission goes to which fitting hole in the radiator? And cruiserdrew, which one of those coolers did you get? The smallest one looks like it would be enough based on their ratings.

I actually used a new Ford truck unit (surprisingly well made) that I got cheap, but I would use the largest one you can fit. My cooler is just about as big as 1/3 the radiator. SOmething like this:

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2&Product_Code=OC-1678

The stock flow of the fluid is into the driver's side of the radiator and out the passenger side. The passenger side has easier access, so I took apart the factory fitting and used some really good 3/8 hose on the barb fitting then into the cooler, than back to the return line.

Rodney says you want it to run as close to room temperature as possible. After a run mine is warm, but I can still touch it with my hand. Maybe 130 degrees or so. I should get a temp probe but I'm lazy and have other projects.

I actually used a new Ford truck unit (surprisingly well made) that I got cheap, but I would use the largest one you can fit. My cooler is just about as big as 1/3 the radiator. SOmething like this:

Hayden Transaver Plus, heavy duty & standard installation kit: Bulkpart transmission parts

The stock flow of the fluid is into the driver's side of the radiator and out the passenger side. The passenger side has easier access, so I took apart the factory fitting and used some really good 3/8 hose on the barb fitting then into the cooler, than back to the return line.

Rodney says you want it to run as close to room temperature as possible. After a run mine is warm, but I can still touch it with my hand. Maybe 130 degrees or so. I should get a temp probe but I'm lazy and have other projects.

I can't tell on my cruiser which line is which coming from the transmission. So can you help me know where on the transmission the supply line comes from and where on the tranny the return line goes to, it will help me figure it out. Also, are the fittings on the radiator barbed fittings?

And one last question, with that large of a cooler, how did you accomodate the Air Conditioner line that runs across the middle of the A/C evaporator in front the the radiator?

The debate over placement of the auxiliary cooler before or after the radiator has been played out over likely every forum since the beginning of the interweb. There are advantages to both, and which one works the best is probably more geographic than anything else.

My own preference is before the radiator, with a twist. Run a thermostat in parallel with the aux cooler. That way the system is stock and the aux cooler is by-passed until more cooling is is needed. The oil t-stats do not fully close, so some fluid is passed through the cooler at all times. The intent is to purge air bubbles so that your main bearings don't take a hit when the t-stat opens. These start opening at 160*f and are fully open at 180*f

1228.JPG

Pegasus - Thermostatic Oil Control - NPT Ports
BAT, Inc. - MOCAL Oil Coolers

Go to Yahoo and search 3FE files, join the group and look through the files for transmission cooling. Euclid's install is the method I used. Found a 4runner cooler new and cheap on Ebay. Worked like a champ. Everything you want to know and more is in the file. Cheers!!

OK, I've got the to and from part all figured out. The toyodiy website seems to be better than SOR diagram wise. Thanks everybody for your help.

One final question. My transmission cooler is currently mounted with the inlet and outlent pointing down. It seems like this would be a problem with trapping air in the cooler. Shouldn't the cooler be mounted with the inlet and outlet to the side?

The debate over placement of the auxiliary cooler before or after the radiator has been played out over likely every forum since the beginning of the interweb. There are advantages to both, and which one works the best is probably more geographic than anything else.

My own preference is before the radiator, with a twist. Run a thermostat in parallel with the aux cooler. That way the system is stock and the aux cooler is by-passed until more cooling is is needed. The oil t-stats do not fully close, so some fluid is passed through the cooler at all times. The intent is to purge air bubbles so that your main bearings don't take a hit when the t-stat opens. These start opening at 160*f and are fully open at 180*f

1228.JPG

That is a neat idea. Utah has temperature swings from 100 degrees in the summer to close to 0 in the winter. I think I'll get one of those. Pretty slick.

Last edited:
Can you guys answer this. Does the FJ62 have a stock tranny cooler? I went to Schucks because I was going to get one and the guy looked and said that it already had one. My understanding is that they are installed on the vfront of the radiator. Also, to change the bulb for the idiot warning light for ATF. How is that changed? I went to change it and there weren't any connections going to it. thanks

Can you guys answer this. Does the FJ62 have a stock tranny cooler? I went to Schucks because I was going to get one and the guy looked and said that it already had one. My understanding is that they are installed on the vfront of the radiator. Also, to change the bulb for the idiot warning light for ATF. How is that changed? I went to change it and there weren't any connections going to it. thanks

They don't come with one, except the one in the radiator.

Here is a good source for very good coolers: Hayden Transaver Plus transmission cooler: Bulkpart transmission parts

Agree with above, neat idea and as usual I learned something reading your post. I think it's a little more complicated than necessary. I set mine up to imulate the setup of the cooling on FZJ80's. Passive air cooling after the radiator. It keeps my $3K transmission cool, which is all I was looking for.

1228.JPG

So is the thermostat connected something like this?
trannycooler.JPG

Yes, in parallel with the aux cooler.
Euclid, I agree that it is a bit more complex, but I see it as making the system more versatile. If I didn't range from Left Coast beaches to High Sierra's to the desert in nearly all weather conditions I'd go with just having the cooler ahead of the radiator. The bottom line is doing what consistently keeps the temp in check. How you get there is not important.

The only thing that I don't like about those above linked Hayden coolers is the barbed fittings. I prefer to use Barb-tite/Push-loc fittings on everything and without some form of threaded port that is hard to do with those coolers. The price is certainly right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom