Which SAGINAW POWER STEERING BOX to use??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there anyone out there that can answer a question on which Saginaw power steering box to use for the conversion on an FJ40???

I've heard that there are different types for cars and trucks.

Which one works best??

Thanks,

Been debated and answered many times in the Frequently Asked Questions list which is stikied at the top of the 40 tech section threads.

800 series youll be fine,

go to a scrap yard and get one or go to autozone and tell them what you need

Poser - Either i'm an idiot or the FAQ is not working. I typed search for saginaw steering and it came up with "no results" whatcha think?

camcruiser - is there a gearing difference/ I got the 5691676 in mine now and its allover the road (very responsive).

I was told that the truck type is less responsive...

WAY TO GO!
RIGHT ON!
PRISTINE!

I better start reading now.

Thanks,

Hi All:

I have a Saginaw PS gearbox from like a '68 Buick Rivera in my FJ40. A buddy is using one from a J**p J20 pick-up in his '40. Both 'gearboxes are four bolt, 4.25 turn.

Good luck!

Alan

Reactions: 377
Get the J20 box that spotcruiser listed.

Any GM 800 series inside frame mount, 3 or 4 bolt. Last one I used was off a Chevy S-10. Avoid 2-2.5 turn close ratio box. 3.5 to 4.25 turn boxes are the most commonly used, but you have to choose the length of your pitman arm per the box you are using, otherwise the steerting will under-react or over-react. The advantage WE have when yall buy a Downey box (pricey compared to wrecking yard box) is that WE always order the same splined input and later metric o-ring fittings, that way WE don't get screwed-up on supplying the wrong u-joints and hose fittings. Gosh, you'd be surprised how many people we run in to that don't know how to count splines?????

I think the saginaw boxes give two spline options for the steering shaft connection:

3/4" diameter with 30 splines

or

13/16" diameter with 36 splines.

Borgeson has steering joints that fit either one and work with their 36" DD telescoping shaft, a shaft that is commonly used for saginaw conversions.

I put a 3 bolt 3turn on mine. It works well but I think I would have liked a 4 turn better because of uf the sport car like turn ratio I have now. i am slowly getting used to it but wish I hade a little more play.

I think the saginaw boxes give two spline options for the steering shaft connection:

3/4" diameter with 30 splines

or

13/16" diameter with 36 splines.

Borgeson has steering joints that fit either one and work with their 36" DD telescoping shaft, a shaft that is commonly used for saginaw conversions.
Saginaw has three different splines:
(1) 3/4-30
(2) 3/4-36
(3) 13/16-36
The 3/4-36 is the least popular.

Saginaw has three different splines:
(1) 3/4-30
(2) 3/4-36
(3) 13/16-36
The 3/4-36 is the least popular.

Really?. I have a 13/16-36 and a 1 inch steering shaft. Borgenson does not make a U joint for this app that I can find. I was thinking that the 13/16 was the least popular.

Does that J20 box use flare or o-ring fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom