Rear OME Springs - which ones? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to add the 2" springs to my 100 but dont know if i should go with the Heavies or the Mediums. If i dont "plan" on adding a rear steal bumper and dont "plan" on loading it down should i go with the Meds?

is there any difference in ride height? I dont want my LC to look like a scorpion..

i have changed my T-bars to OME's already.

I ran 863's and they fit fine. There is a debate whether or not OEM 100 springs are the same height or not. As 863 and other 80 series springs are different in height left to right you probably want to install the shorter spring on the passenger side and/or use a 10mm spring packer to even them out.

The 863 is a good choice when you have an aftermarket bumper with swing out tire carrier installed along with heavy drawers and/or cargo. Otherwise 865 would be a better choice.

I am now running 864's because of the extra loads, trailer and now aux tank. They are perfect for me.

I went with 863's, got them used/cheap off someone's 80 that was going up to J's.

Re-read his application. No rear bumper or loads planned? 863 will be TALL and STIFF. I have 863's on mine!

865 is the ticket. And IF his "plans" change down the road he can swap springs for little investement. IF he gets 863's NOW he will HATE his ride.

Re-read his application. No rear bumper or loads planned? 863 will be TALL and STIFF. I have 863's on mine!

865 is the ticket. And IF his "plans" change down the road he can swap springs for little investement. IF he gets 863's NOW he will HATE his ride.

865's can't be had used too often, used 863's are pretty common. So, I'm also helping him with budget.

As I said, I have 863's, my wife DD's the truck with 3 kids, she thinks the ride is awesome. :meh:

865's can't be had used too often, used 863's are pretty common. So, I'm also helping him with budget.

As I said, I have 863's, my wife DD's the truck with 3 kids, she thinks the ride is awesome. :meh:

*He'd be happier with new 865 vs old and STIFF 863

*She doesn't know what type of ride she could have. BUT...if she's happy, that's what counts. If she could only sample how the 865's ride......

OME Part #
Spring Rate (lbf/in)
Bar Dia. (in)
Free Height (in)
General Application

OME 863
18.90/19.29
80/100 Series

OME 865
100 Series

Liam, if you think you can tell the difference in 30lbs. of spring rate, go for it. I know I can't. Plus, paying $80 for springs vs. $170 helps with that oh so harsh ride.

*He'd be happier with new 865 vs old and STIFF 863

*She doesn't know what type of ride she could have. BUT...if she's happy, that's what counts. If she could only sample how the 865's ride......
as long as i will get the same height out of the 865's i am fine with it.

as far as the ride.....i own a lifted 40....i dont mind rough, but i dont want my ride to look like a scorpion ready to strike either...

I went with 865's for the ride and the :princess: enjoys long hauls with a pleasant ride. But with towing the trailer, I needed the extra lift so I went with the air bags from AirLift and I get the best of both. The bags will give you about .75" lift when empty and you can level it out when your loading the back end.

OME Part #
Spring Rate (lbf/in)
Bar Dia. (in)
Free Height (in)
General Application

OME 863
18.90/19.29
80/100 Series

OME 865
100 Series

Liam, if you think you can tell the difference in 30lbs. of spring rate, go for it. I know I can't. Plus, paying $80 for springs vs. $170 helps with that oh so harsh ride.

Or, he can ask somebody who has had both spring types on their 100. :)

as long as i will get the same height out of the 865's i am fine with it.

as far as the ride.....i own a lifted 40....i dont mind rough, but i dont want my ride to look like a scorpion ready to strike either...

The 863's will put your ASS in the AIR compared to 865's.

The 865's are .8" shorter, thinner bar diameter, and lighter load, so they won't be NEAR as tall.

I corrected it for you.

When you drop the truck off the jacks the rear end will:

863: Not drop down much
865: Drop down quite a bit

Height measurement OFF the truck is meaningless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, he can ask somebody who has had both spring types on their 100. :)

The 863's will put your ASS in the AIR compared to 865's.

I corrected it for you.

When you drop the truck off the jacks the rear end will:

863: Not drop down much
865: Drop down quite a bit

Height measurement OFF the truck is meaningless.

You should listen to Shotts Liam, he's the expert.

Shotts, from the mod side, use multi-quote and stop padding your posts.

ok, so if i crank my t-bars to their max and put in 863's will it sit even or at least somewhat close?

I have an ARB commercial bar, M8 winch, OME t-bars, and 863's. My truck is level and there's a bit more to go on the t-bars. You don't want to crank them all the way. With 865's you probably wouldn't have to crank the torsion bars as much.

863's it is!!!

so here is another question. If the shop didnt put the T-bars in correctly will i not be able to get all the height out of them?

i dont even know if that makes sense..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom