Post your high-mileage 100-series!!! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.perfectswitch.com
1998....barely broken in. 2.02.09

150000.jpg

Here you go

A couple of weeks ago.
IMG00023.JPG

Ha. Babies.

225K or so. I can get a picture later.

I could have played this game with my 80 series, but only 85.5K on our Hundy.

140,300 so far. Encouraging to see 230k + from others.

For me the only repairs are the starter contacts, antenna mast. Incredible.

What about you guys with high mileage?

i really think Toyota came out with a very reliable LC 100 on the first shot. my 98 is going strong and i've heard 98-99 holding together well. 00-02, not nearly as well.

i really think Toyota came out with a very reliable LC 100 on the first shot. my 98 is going strong and i've heard 98-99 holding together well. 00-02, not nearly as well.

What's wrong with the 00-02?

What's wrong with the 00-02?

x2.

Defensive owner of an 02 here.

I haven't heard of any specific problems on 00-02s that earlier models didn't deal with; in fact, if anything, the stronger front diff would swing that argument the other direction.

x2.

Defensive owner of an 02 here.

I haven't heard of any specific problems on 00-02s that earlier models didn't deal with; in fact, if anything, the stronger front diff would swing that argument the other direction.
depends, would you rather drop a diff or a tranny??

The 98-99 were put together better than the 00-02's. really the only known issue with the earlier years were the diff. The 00-02 had leaky manifolds and s***ty trannys.. and the built in espresso machine is quirky...

actually i am just fawking around, but there are half truths in there. I am sure Shotts can fill you in on your s***ty 02 100....:D:D

depends, would you rather drop a diff or a tranny??

The 98-99 were put together better than the 00-02's. really the only known issue with the earlier years were the diff. The 00-02 had leaky manifolds and s***ty trannys.. and the built in espresso machine is quirky...

actually i am just fawking around, but there are half truths in there. I am sure Shotts can fill you in on your s***ty 02 100....:D:D

Maybe you know something I don't; I don't spend as much time on the forum as I'm sure some of you do, BUT, are "s***ty trannys" really that common on 00-02's? Is it a different tranny that what was used in 98-99s? I assumed they were the same. And, are the manifold leaks something that happen 'only' to 00's or later?

Not doubting you necessarily, but I don't see any science behind your statement that "98-99s were put together better." What are you basing that on? Are you aware of production changes at the plant or something like that? Maybe different parts suppliers?

If you know things I don't, educate me, but all I'm hearing is an opinion, nothing fact-based.

Nothing wrong with loving the year you drive, I suppose, but I'll need convincing that earlier models are "better" than later ones. And, even if it were "fact" that manifolds leak on only 00-02s, I'll consider that a trade-off for having VSC/TRAC and call it even (Schotts is grinning somewhere).

Last edited:
Maybe you know something I don't; I don't spend as much time on the forum as I'm sure some of you do, BUT, are "s***ty trannys" really that common on 00-02's? Is it a different tranny that what was used in 98-99s? I assumed they were the same. And, are the manifold leaks something that happen 'only' to 00's or later?

Not doubting you necessarily, but I don't see any science behind your statement that "98-99s were put together better." What are you basing that on? Are you aware of production changes at the plant or something like that? Maybe different parts suppliers?

If you know things I don't, educate me, but all I'm hearing is an opinion, nothing fact-based.

Nothing wrong with loving the year you drive, I suppose, but I'll need convincing that earlier models are "better" than later ones. And, even if it were "fact" that manifolds leak on only 00-02s, I'll consider that a trade-off for having VSC/TRAC and call it even (Schotts is grinning somewhere).
this has really been hashed out all over this forum. It basically came down to a toss up for the very reason you state, unless you throw an ARB locker in the front of a 98-99.

Trannys have been an issue with 00-+, not the case for 98-99. Manifold leaks where an issue with the 00-+ models as well . These are both known issues/weaknesses with the 00-02, just as the weaker front diff of the 98-99 are an issue. Other than the weaker diff there are no other "issues" that are blaring or high $$ to fix for the earlier years.

pretty much what i was getting at in my first post is the fact Toyota did a great job on quality bringing the 100 series to the market. Most of the time when a car company completely redesigns a car/truck the first years out suck and have a lot of issues.

this has really been hashed out all over this forum. It basically came down to a toss up for the very reason you state, unless you throw an ARB locker in the front of a 98-99.

Trannys have been an issue with 00-+, not the case for 98-99. Manifold leaks where an issue with the 00-+ models as well . These are both known issues/weaknesses with the 00-02, just as the weaker front diff of the 98-99 are an issue. Other than the weaker diff there are no other "issues" that are blaring or high $$ to fix for the earlier years.

pretty much what i was getting at in my first post is the fact Toyota did a great job on quality bringing the 100 series to the market. Most of the time when a car company completely redesigns a car/truck the first years out suck and have a lot of issues.

No argument from me that Toyota homered with the 100 series right from the get-go; as you mentioned usually the first couple years of a model have lots of gremlins to work out. I guess that's part of why we drive Toyotas, isn't it?

Not arguing that there might be "known" issues...but...

I still invite you to educate me; is the reason for these trans failures from 00-02 known? What changed from the factory? I'll admit I don't care enough to search- I force myself not to get too caught up in minutia sometimes because then I forget to enjoy things and become a victim of paralysis by analysis- but I am curious as to why, if they are the same model tranny, that suddenly these problems popped up in 2000 that weren't a problem on earlier versions.

For example, Ford fortified the torque converter in 02+ 4R100 trannys to eliminate some issues. Did Toyota changes suppliers on a key component or something like that that had a negative affect?

I'm usually not a "prove it" kinda guy, but if something is such a known issue, somebody's got to know why, right?

Don't get me wrong, nothing against 98-99s, but when someone tells me they're "put together better," I look for facts that back that up, not just that it's "known."

What transmission issues with 00-02? I think I once read about someone needing to replace their transmission, but don't recall it being a "major" liability with the 00-02.

Who gives a s*** about a ticking manifold for just seconds after a cold start.

What transmission issues with 00-02?.

That's what I'm asking! For example, with front diffs, we know they switched from 2-pinion to 4-pinion for MY2000 to strengthen it and hopefully alieviate the breakage issues.

I need a reason (TC change? Different valve body?) rather than just "it's a known issue." Known issues are things like blown EGR's on Ford 6.0 diesels-- that's known. Speculation and "I heard" do not = documented cases.

Until I see something factual, I'm not buying into 00-02 trannys being weaker.

Again, feel free, anybody, to state some facts and enlighten me...

[Funny...I'm reminded of a 1990 Jeep Cherokee I owned...supposedly terrible Renix EFI system, weak Dana 35 rear axle, junky tranny, bad build quality was all I ever heard about...sold it at 170,000mi and it never required more than routine maintenance...guess I got the only good one!]

Last edited:
Damn! Just ran to the store for some soda and my tranny blew!

How did I not see that coming? It's such a known issue, after all.

Shoulda bought a 98 or 99...they are so much better!

(Kidding...) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom