upgraded my suspension to extra heavy - rides awesome and no more body roll. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.adventurebuddies.com
As the expo build progresses, I've gotten successively heavier and my suspension just wasn't up to the task. I had 850Js with a 1" spacer up front and 421 comps in the rear and was bottoming out freaquently on the trail and suffering from substantial body roll. Occasisonally the body roll was scary. After a conversation with Kurt at cruiseroutfitters, I decided to go with 418 comps for the front and 864s for the rear.

Huge improvement! the 418s are the same length as the 850Js, but much stiffer. I gained an inch of lift even though I'm not using the spacers anymore which means I gained 2" over the 850J. I now have about 3" of lift in the front - that was my target number.

The rear gained 2" with the 864s, though it still doesn't sit level when I'm fully loaded with fuel and water, etc. I installed Airlift airbags (which prevented bottoming out) but they were too short for the lift and so they weren't able to raise the truck to sit level. So, I have a set of longer airbags coming in the mail in a couple of days which should solve that problem according to Airlift tech support. That part number is 60755 for 10.5" long airbags (vs 8.5" for stock) for anyone with a lifted truck who is considering airbags. They also offer a 9.5" bag.

For anyone who has a HEAVY rig, I highly recommend this setup. Road handling is superb and won't rattle your guts. On a trail test in Anza with 5 adults in the car and full fuel and water, I never bottomed out (thanks in part to the airbags) so I think I achieved my goal of on and off road comfort from the same suspension.

I had 864's on my 80, good choice when you get up near 4 tons :D
4 tons - yes I am a fatty. I considered the 868s but decided on 864 plus airbags.

I am curious how air bags do after a water crossing? Couldn't they fill up with water?

What Dave said! :flipoff2:

Mine have been underwater several times. No issues. :D Airtight is watertight :doh: :flipoff2:

As for air/water tightness: I was sceptical when I opend the box and saw the little clips that clamp the hose to the barbed nipple, but mine haven't lost even a tiny bit of air in a month. I set it up with seperate fill valves for each bag so they can be filled indepentdently. I also ran 3/8" air hose between the two bags with a valve that can be opened so the air can transfer between bags for articulation when I need it.

Glad to hear your happy with the results :cool:
Kurt, thanks for your help. I've been meaning to write you and give you exact numbers so you can update your calculations to include this combo. I'll get that to you sometime. Good call on the 418s. 419s would have been too tall.

Kurt, thanks for your help. I've been meaning to write you and give you exact numbers so you can update your calculations to include this combo. I'll get that to you sometime. Good call on the 418s. 419s would have been too tall.

I always like feedback. Its always neat to see how close your vehicle measures to my coil calculator spreadsheet. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom