92 80 in field (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I may have a line on a 92 that has been in a field for about 6 years. Supposed to have a blown head gasket. I need some sheet metal so I am not worried about that.

I assume that the rubber items are shot. What about the long term effects on the tranny and things like the steering box, differentials and items like that. Fuel injection items etc...

Has anyone ever bought one that had been sitting for a long time

Thanks for the help.

John

most of the mechanicals are probably fine.
You might take a look @ the diffs- see if they are rusty inside, but if they were dry when parked, they are probably ok.

We've all heard about old barn trucks that are operable after XX years. Other than rodents making a nest somewhere, there is no real reason it shouldn't be in ~ decent shape.

You sure its a '92? While its not unheard of, its rare for the 3FE to lose a head gasket. Could be a FZJ. Then maybe you could get some locking axles and a full floater rear. :).

I haven't seen it yet but the guy tells me it is a 92 and has no sunroof, fender flares or running boards.

I agree about the 3fe not eating HG, but he was pretty insistent when I asked him the same thing.

I hope to hear from him by the weekend

John

You sure its a '92? While its not unheard of, its rare for the 3FE to lose a head gasket.

We have heard of several 3FE blown head gaskets in the past few weeks. Contrary to popular opinion, they are not immune to head gasket failures.

(Yes, I realize I just jinxed myself.) :frown:

-B-

We have heard of several 3FE blown head gaskets in the past few weeks. Contrary to popular opinion, they are not immune to head gasket failures.

(Yes, I realize I just jinxed myself.) :frown:

-B-

I don't think you jinxed yourself as much as the members with the 3FEs.

Ha ha. Dang you Brown Fox!! (fist shake) No, I didn't mean they were immune, I've read of several. Alkaline747trio comes to mind. I just meant that it was a bit more rare. :)

So I bought this truck and I have it home. It is not getting fuel to the motor, I have drained the old gas and put fresh gas in. It will run on gas put through the vacuum hose from the top of the valve cover. I have power and the B+ connection in the test connector on the firewall. How do I test the fuel pump?

I would really like to get his thing into the garage and take to front end parts I need off of it. I need to Drive ot though. I live on a BAD hill.

Any McGuyver ideas for making it run for five minutes to get into the garage??

The body on this truck is very good, But the engine makes a bad knock at about 2000 rpm.

It is the rare 91 without flares running boards or sunroof. It also has some chromed steel wheels on it.

Thanks for any info..

John

hang a 2 liter coke bottle full of gas from the hood!..
Made me all the way across the Houston ship channel in a boat (bout a 12 mile trip) with a shot fuel pump..

my 91 came without running boards, I didn't know any of them came without a sunroof...

a

I have power and the B+ connection in the test connector on the firewall. How do I test the fuel pump?

You can override all FP logic by jumping pin 8 to pin1 (B+ to FP). This should power the FP directly assuming it works.

Inline fuel filter could be plugged. Passenger side inside frame rail below the dissy. You could try to jump it out somehow, or at least verify fuel pressure on the outlet side. Just be sure to put your hash pipe out first.

If I disconnect the line at the filter inlet should fuel pump out if the pump is working? How much how fast?

I would like to test it. The gas that I drained out of the tank was very much not like gas anymore. Would that stuff gunk up the filter? What about the lines etc...

Can I access the pump with out pulling the tank??

Thanks John

Pull back seat behind driver,lift carpet,access panel. MIke

Correct. And you did mention that the motor will run with fuel injected through a vacuum line...correct?

Mike is correct about the FP access plate in the floor, however the top of the tank really needs to be cleaned properly before you open the tank or you will make matters worse. There is also the possibility of tearing the fuel supply and return lines on this truck.

The fuel pump has a mesh pre-filter on the intake that may have become a solid mass by now. Hard to say without looking at it, but it can be removed or cut and the FP will function without it. There is also an internal check valve (ball and spring) that could be stuck in the pump. Letting it sit in fresh fuel may or may not help. Maybe a whack or 2 with a non-sparking hammer.

IIRC, fuel pressure is substantial at the filter. Old fuel will varnish and after 6 years of sitting is probably full of crap. Fresh fuel will get the lines flowing again, assuming they are flowing a little now, but the filter is done IMO. See what you get at the filter first.

I tried the jumper from B+ to Fp and still no fuel I did not loosen the filter fitting to see if fuel was flowing, I assume that Jon Held is correct on what I will find when I crack open the top of the tank and see what the strainer and pump look like.

I have access to a FJ 62 pump. Will that fit my tank?

I also have a deal worked for a running 3FE if I don't part this out.

Now the best part................... :hillbilly::hillbilly: (I think this guy applies)

I was just able to drive it into the garage by putting gas in the wiper reservoir and re routing the front hose to the formerly mentioned vacuum line (and blocking off the rear line) and running it up the hill into the garage.

Not pretty but it worked

John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom