Has anyone replaced leather seats on their 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking into replacing the leather seats in my 99 Land Cruiser, but can't seem to find any places that have patterns already made. Anyone done this on their rig before?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm looking into replacing the leather seats in my 99 Land Cruiser, but can't seem to find any places that have patterns already made. Anyone done this on their rig before?

Thanks,

Chris

I had Katskins put into my Tundra and had the guy give me an estimate for the 100.... $1300 for three rows. They are much nicer than factory.

I pulled the leather off. Had some of the seams restitched and some patching done. I only did the front seats. It was fairly easy. Most difficult part was separating some of the plastic pieces. Really they just pulled apart but it took a while to figure out the first one. Dealing with the hog rings was easy. I imagine new leather would be a little more work to deal with than the old already formed to the correct shape that I was dealing with. Nice part about it was I got to sit om my couch and watch tv while installing the leather. There is a nice write up in the 80-series, it's very similar.

Look up the word "upholstery" in your local phone book and see what you can dig up. Sometimes when you are on this forum you get tunnel vision on certain items and vendors, for most part I support LC vendors, auto upholstery is not rocket science, and chances are that you can go down and see the local operation for yourself and make you own conclusions. They will probably throw in the install with the price. Call your local high end auto outlet and see who they use for leather replacement and I am sure that after 5 phone calls you will know who to use.

When I replaced the leather in my 80 (all 3 rows) it was cheaper to buy the seats from a junk yard than go the seat cover route. $150 for the Power Front (L+R), $250 for Rear & $100 for the Third Row.

BL:
At $1200 to $1300 dollars plus shipping plus install, its worth researching in your own back yard. The seat cover price does cover replacing bolsters and seat foam. Again, your local guy will clue you in on this side of the project.

Last edited:
Look up the word "upholstery" in your local phone book and see what you can dig up. Sometimes when you are on this forum you get tunnel vision on certain items and vendors, for most part I support LC vendors, auto upholstery is not rocket science, and chances are that you can go down and see the local operation for yourself and make you own conclusions. They will probably throw in the install with the price. Call your local high end auto outlet and see who they use for leather replacement and I am sure that after 5 phone calls you will know who to use.

When I replaced the leather in my 80 (all 3 rows) it was cheaper to buy the seats from a junk yard than go the seat cover route. $150 for the Power Front (L+R), $250 for Rear & $100 for the Third Row.

BL:
At $1200 to $1300 dollars plus shipping plus install, its worth researching in your own back yard. The seat cover price does cover replacing bolsters and seat foam. Again, your local guy will clue you in on this side of the project.

x2

Ask them what it would cost to pattern the drivers seat and if they can match the interior leather color, stitching pattern and warranty for life of defects.

Most important but will they have all the ISO 9001 certifications and have the correct attachment points for proper installation so no failure in the future or accident.

Also used seats can carry mold and in the case of a 100 series I am sure it had to be a horrible accident and open to the elements.

Then call your local dealer and ask what the cost is for factory covers for the drivers seat.

all the best,

Shane

Shane,

How does one order from you?

Thanks,

uzj100

I'm sorry and maybe's its the pics, but those replaced leather covers in the referenced thread look terrible. The fit looks very loose.

The seating surfaces are supposed to look somewhat loose. As for the arm rests and head rests, I agree, it doesn't look as good as OEM. BUT - if your leather is trashed, this is by far and away the best option short of just covering it up. My 2nd row is hating it, thanks to the PO. So, once my kids are a little older, I will be all over Shane's kit. Glad he took the time and energy to make them available.

I'm sorry and maybe's its the pics, but those replaced leather covers in the referenced thread look terrible. The fit looks very loose.

The seating surfaces are supposed to look somewhat loose. As for the arm rests and head rests, I agree, it doesn't look as good as OEM.

I never thought one would notice and I totally forgot about this. They use a cool machine to install the arm rest covers and the head rest covers. What they do after the leather (oe) is removed is slide a plastic bag over the head rest and then install it in a machine that creates a vacuum and shrinks the foam down so they can slip the cover over and then release the vacuum and then remove the bag. These were just done when I took the pics. This set has been in his truck for close to a year and still look new.

The gathering you see is factory just like the Toyota 80 series and will settle down with age. But I assure you I am anal and be glad that I am as will not except anything less than perfect.

I never thought one would notice and I totally forgot about this. They use a cool machine to install the arm rest covers and the head rest covers. What they do after the leather (oe) is removed is slide a plastic bag over the head rest and then install it in a machine that creates a vacuum and shrinks the foam down so they can slip the cover over and then release the vacuum and then remove the bag. These were just done when I took the pics. This set has been in his truck for close to a year and still look new.

The gathering you see is factory just like the Toyota 80 series and will settle down with age. But I assure you I am anal and be glad that I am as will not except anything less than perfect.

I have had experience reupholstering leather seats in a Lexus SC300, and as Atlas said, the leather does fit better with time. It took a few weeks for mine to settle in, but ended up perfect. I got those seats from leatherseats.com...these seats that atlas is selling appears to be better quality IMO.

Hey Shane, I checked the thread they look good! Please confirm if these replacements are 100% leather on all the surfaces? What i mean is the the OE are leather on the seating surfaces only.

Are they vat/drum dyed or spray dyed?

thanks dude. I'm excited to find this! My fronts are in bad shape.

Yes they are and the dye is drum.

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom