Rear storage rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought materials and a 3/4" die for my bender for this almost two years ago. With an upcoming trip to the San Rafael Swell in a few weeks I thought I should knock this out. The idea was to hold two MWC's (ignore the fuel can in the photo, it won't be going inside the vehicle) and my cooler so I could have access to them without digging them out of the pile of gear for a family of 5. It also gived me 9" of lower storage for tents and sleeping bags. We use our 3rd row seats around town when hauling the nieces so I needed this to be wife removable. I attached the rack to the 3rd row seat mounts using some 5/8" split collars. The font two have a step cut into them so they locat into the reciever part of the seat mount. The rear two tighten with an allen wrench for now, but I'll order or make some a knob for them. I still need to weld on the tie downs for the cooler and for the straps that will go over the water cans. I am also going to cut some ABS sheet to go in between the bars. Then paint it all up.
P1030244.jpg

another view
P1030245.jpg

attachment
P1030247.jpg

DUDE!!!! You beat me to it!!!!!!!!!

i was in the middle of designing JUST such a thing but using rod clamps commonly found in the film industry. Its really close to what you did there. Good job!

looks great. I wonder if this is similar to what Hanna has in mind?

Very nice !

Awesome set up. What kind of tube bender were you using?

VERY NICE!
And now that cooler is at the PERFECT height to access from the rear sliding window. Assuming you don't have the lame Lexus non-operating passenger window!

By the way, that is the cool Lexus non-operating 1/2 driver window.

Exactly, both of my rear windows slide AND I had the cell phone option.

Pics please. We have had this discussion in the past and those that thought both windows slide (front & rear) on both sides (L & R), have found the front driver slider doesn't move.

-B-

Pics please. We have had this discussion in the past and those that thought both windows slide (front & rear) on both sides (L & R), have found the front driver slider doesn't move.

-B-

ditto.

as far as I know one of the DS windows does not slide.

Excellent! I may cobble something similar out of hockey sticks.....

I have a JD2 model 3 style manual bender that I cut on the mill at work. The 3/4" die has a 3" radius. If I remember right the die was cheap, like $125 when I bought it. It could be a slightly smaller radius to fit a little more snuggly to the scepter cans, but it's not bad.

I made the Engel cooler height just over the level of the main part of the middle seats. That way the wife and kids can access the cooler from inside the cruiser. I did not even think about access through the windows. My 97 has both sliding windows so that maay be an option.

I'm sure there is a better clamp available, but I had these collars kicking around. If I had an extra pair of 3rd row seats, I would have used the seat side mount. That would be ideal I think.

Ultimatley I have access to an 8'x8' Vac. Former and would like to make some new interior rear side panels, but I have been too busy to make and test a mold. I'd like to pick out some standard containers, flashlight, tow strap and emergency supplies and form the cavities for them right into the panels. This shelf will have to do for now. Some day I guess.

Exactly, both of my rear windows slide AND I had the cell phone option.

-B-

I dont have the cell phone crap thing anymore but the windows both open. In fact I had them both open a few days ago because the dog was in the back. When my wife gets back from work I'll go out and take some shots.

glad you like my idea enough to make your own, enjoy the trip

glad you like my idea enough to make your own, enjoy the trip

Great minds must think alike. My rack is an adaptation to a rack I ran in the back of my 40 for 5 years. Jerries on one side, cooler on the other and gear down the middle and under. Back then it was all square tube cut and welded. I love the HREW round tubing so much better. No sharp corners or edges. And 3/4" is so easy to work with. It's nothing like the 1 3/4 I used for my sliders. My problem is that I have become prone to drawing projects in Solidworks late at night and then sitting on them for years. I recently started building my aluminum roof rack after over a year from when I drew it.

I'm just glad you made the Jerry can holder and posted it so that with your connections it could come to market. It's a great idea especially for those that want to run drawers or leave the whole rear open between the wheel wells. It will be a definite asset to those that purchase them.

Here ya go girlies. Nice to know my truck is now worth another $48 :flipoff2:

Do both driver side cargo area windows slide open? You are showing 1 of the 2 DS windows, but not both.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom