Clutch or Tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After getting my troopie inspected here on long Island I was driving home and when I went around a corner I here a loud bang and a clickckckckck noise,I pull over and nothing is broken that I can tell and nothing leaking. It sounded like a front axel exploding so I drive it home about a mile and there is that noise of shshshshsh. I get it home remove the front axel and it is fine. This was about a week ago so now I am thinking clutch or tranny. I pull the hump and the gas tank cause it has 2 and it was a big pain in the ass, oh I had to remove both seats and the mounting all custom. I got this cruiser out of Australia and the engine,clutch,radiator,tires were all very new or no more then 2000klms on them. So Now I can here alot better with the hump out and I'm driving it sitting on a roll of packing tape and I depress the clutch to go into second and as soon as it ingages a big cluckcluck cluck and such. The problem is I dont know if its the clutch or the tranny. I have a 5 speed waiting to go in but I just want to know what it might be. I still can drive it but its a terrible noise. Any ideas. I am not a mechanic but I do my own work on my cruisers but I am not good at diagnosing what the problem is. I have never taken apart a tranny but I have removed many of them and installed as well. Same thing with the clutch I can do the work. Also I had planned on selling the tranny cause I have the 5 speed?.

After getting my troopie inspected here on long Island I was driving home and when I went around a corner I here a loud bang and a clickckckckck noise,I pull over and nothing is broken that I can tell and nothing leaking. It sounded like a front axel exploding so I drive it home about a mile and there is that noise of shshshshsh. I get it home remove the front axel and it is fine. This was about a week ago so now I am thinking clutch or tranny. I pull the hump and the gas tank cause it has 2 and it was a big pain in the ass, oh I had to remove both seats and the mounting all custom. I got this cruiser out of Australia and the engine,clutch,radiator,tires were all very new or no more then 2000klms on them. So Now I can here alot better with the hump out and I'm driving it sitting on a roll of packing tape and I depress the clutch to go into second and as soon as it ingages a big cluckcluck cluck and such. The problem is I dont know if its the clutch or the tranny. I have a 5 speed waiting to go in but I just want to know what it might be. I still can drive it but its a terrible noise. Any ideas. I am not a mechanic but I do my own work on my cruisers but I am not good at diagnosing what the problem is. I have never taken apart a tranny but I have removed many of them and installed as well. Same thing with the clutch I can do the work. Also I had planned on selling the tranny cause I have the 5 speed?.

Drain the tranny and transfer case and look for metal.

if you're swapping a 5 speed why not pull it and be done. clutch will be there for inspection and the tranny won't be an issue (or you can troubleshoot it when its out)

Yes I can dot those things,but If a guy like Poser took it for a 10second ride he would know what it was. Even when I do remove the tranny I don't know what to look for besides broken parts?. The clutch was new,what in a clutch could make such noise almost like marbles,big marbles rolling around hitting each other.

Remove the inspection cover under the clutch and take a look. Have someone actuate it while you observe.

If all is as it should be, remove the top cover on the transmission and look inside. If I read your post correctly, it is now accessible.

Phil

Remove the inspection cover under the clutch and take a look. Have someone actuate it while you observe.

If all is as it should be, remove the top cover on the transmission and look inside. If I read your post correctly, it is now accessible.

Phil

Nice to here from somone from MTA. I have already removed the skidplate and inspection cover, I will have somone depress the clutch and see whats up. Can I drive it if I remove the top plate this way I will be able to see and here if that is where the noise is coming from.

Thank you.

When yu see your fello MTA members say hello from James in N.Y. All 5 or 6 times I wheeled the CON I was with MTA. Great bunch of people

My first trip on the 'Con was with MTA. I rode with Dave Elsner and you flopped right in front of us going down the slabs to Buck.

I miss your cooking:beer:

You cannot drive it with the top cover off. If something is broken in there, you should be able to see it. You can pull the rear driveshaft off the t-case to be able to spin everything in neutral.

Phil

My first trip on the 'Con was with MTA. I rode with Dave Elsner and you flopped right in front of us going down the slabs to Buck.

I miss your cooking:beer:

You cannot drive it with the top cover off. If something is broken in there, you should be able to see it. You can pull the rear driveshaft off the t-case to be able to spin everything in neutral.

Phil

Thanks for the kind words about my food. Yea that was many years ago. There were always alot of Daves in MTA, was it the dave was a little older with the brown cruiser if so he was a great guy and very witty and handy,also we used his shower set up we all loved it. On my last CON we were getting out late and it was getting dark,I'll never forget it Dave must of had enough of the con and he started hitting alot of rocks like he did'nt care anymore it was very funny at least to me at the time. We were going back to Loon lake not cadillac hill. I hope all is well with him,and all the members of MTA. Back to the tranny,I have been looking at the repair manual and ofcourse I cant drive it with out the shifter I shouuld of knew that anyway. I guess tomorrow I will move it out from under the canopy or at least turn it around so I can get to things. I will remove the rear drive shaft and rotate to see whats wrong.

Thank you so much Phil.
Those years wheeling the con were the best years of wheeling for me and the best times in general,I really miss that whole scene.

That is the happy sound that auto lockers make when they are working. Is there something actually wrong?

That's a really good point.

Do you know if you have lockers or not?

And yes, that is the correct Dave. That was a pretty memorable trip. I became a member of MTA that trip.

Phil

That's a really good point.

Do you know if you have lockers or not?

And yes, that is the correct Dave. That was a pretty memorable trip. I became a member of MTA that trip.

Phil

Well glad your a membe of such a great chapter. No,no lockers it is in the tranny or clutch. When it first happened I thought it was the front axel as well so when I got home i removed the axels and that was not it,actually that was a waist of time as it has locking hubs and the axels could not of possible broke and I said that to myself after already taking them out and inspecting. But that was my hope at first. After doing some reading it sounds like there is bearing balls rolling around but I dont' think it would still drive it that was the case. I am not using the truck and I have a 5 speed that has to go in so the tranny has to come out anyway but I just wanted to figure it out just so I would know. I had planned on selling the tranny cause it's the Australian one with the lower first gear,and I have a few people interested so that was a concern as well. Maybe I will just remove it and learn how it works or at least how to take it apart.

Thanks for the imput so far.

let's narrow this down a little.

say you're sitting in the truck, you start it up, depress the clutch. does it make any noise at this point?
what if you put it in first gear; any noise now?

how about if you start letting the clutch out and the vehicle moves forward; any noise now?

please try to be as specific as possibl. pay close attention to the noise and when it occurs. is it when the clutch is depressed or when you're in gear and driving. is t more prevelant at certain speeds or in a particular gear?

the more percise your info is, the easier it'll be to determine the cause of the noise. what you've described so far could be something in the clutch assy, the trans, the t-case, rear driveline or rear axle.

let's narrow this down a little.

say you're sitting in the truck, you start it up, depress the clutch. does it make any noise at this point?
what if you put it in first gear; any noise now?

how about if you start letting the clutch out and the vehicle moves forward; any noise now?

please try to be as specific as possibl. pay close attention to the noise and when it occurs. is it when the clutch is depressed or when you're in gear and driving. is t more prevelant at certain speeds or in a particular gear?

the more percise your info is, the easier it'll be to determine the cause of the noise. what you've described so far could be something in the clutch assy, the trans, the t-case, rear driveline or rear axle.[/quote

I will try and be more specific, first let me say that I have no problems in reverse and everything works in 4 wheel drive as well. Ok I depress the clutch and no noise,I release the clutch and start to go about 10mph and thats when all hell brakes lose but I can shift into second with no problem. I work the weekends so today I only started removing reverse light switch and and loosened the drive line bolts. I dont want to remove the rear shaft yet cause I'm hoping a friend can come over and help with some inspection. I also was thinking of just removing the rear shaft and then going thru the gears this way the truck stays in place and I don't have to wait for any one to help me. This cruiser just sits and I am removing everything soon but I just wanted to know what caused the noise.

Thanks everybody.
James

So if you're in 4 wheel drive you can shift in to second and third without this problem happening??? That is very odd. If it's a tranny or clutch problem you should have the same symptoms in 4WD as 2WD

After you drain the transmission oil. There is a side cover on the 4 speed that you can remove to inspect the internals of the transmission. It is only 6 bolts and it is easier than removing the top cover. It should let you see if there is anything wrong inside of the transmission.

Maybe the Devil would know what that means.

Sorry not that good at explaning what exactly is happening,I think I need a sedative. I am having a friend come over tomorrow before I go to work and maybe we can narrow it down or at least I will be able to give a better explanation.

i don't thnk that this is a transmission or clutch issue, not even the t-case. i suspect the rearend.

jack up ther rear, put jack-stands under it, block the front tires and then turn each rear wheel by hand (engine OFF!!!!). see if it feels right or not. possibly a broken axle shaft........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom