can anybody please tell me what this is..beowulf!! chime in on this one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing my inspection under the hood yesterday and i noticed i was leaking coolant right by the "T" fitting against the firewall (the one thats sort of in the middle)

I finally got around to tightening it today, i also topped of the coolant but then taking a closer look at the fitting i noticed it has sort of like a valve that supposed to be attached to a cable.....the cable portion is disconnected from the valve/latch.
so what i'm trying to figure out is what this valve is and its function? also does it matter that its not connected?

I hope i'm describing this part/piece properly

Thanks

Heater valve, probably. Provides temperature control.

-Spike

Is it ok if its unattached.........i ask cos i'm able to use the "lo","med","hi" settings.

which one does it control? and should i reattach it?

is there a place i reference a picture of what its suppose to look like reattached?

thanks again

is there a place i reference a picture of what its suppose to look like reattached?

The cable is attached to your temp control (the red---white---blue slider)

You need it attached to control the amount of hot coolant that will go to the heater core in the cabin (front seats). I believe the rear heater always gets full hot (could be wrong on that though...)

I'll look for a picture showing that cable connected but it is really pretty simple. The cable just goes into a slot as I recall. Nothing complicated... no tools needed.

Here ya go.
attachment.php

FYI, this is a good picture of where the main engine wiring harness touches the EGR pipe and eventually melts the wires inside causing all sorts of strange engine problems. It is strongly recommended to supplement the factory heat tape with a high quality heat tape like the stuff from Thermotec.

-B-

Last edited:
I believe what you are talking about is the rear heater valve. Is it black plastic? How many lines does it have coming out of/into it? Is it bolted to the firewall? If it is the heater valve, then I would suggest looking for the wire that belongs to it. I don't think it is critical to have it hooked up, because all it does is supply heat to the rear heater blower unit. It shouldn't cause any damage to your vehicle if it isn't hooked up.
Just my two cents. Good luck, hope the leak stopped!:wrench:

That description fits the heater valve for the dashboard heater system. Are you sure it's unattached, because the one in the picture illustrates how the loop appears sitting in space, but it's got a little tab in it.

DougM

How much radiator fluid goes thru your heater core.

239777686_23ESE-L.jpg

cpg, yours looks different from mine. :confused: Did you bypass the rear heater?

[Edited] Never mind, I just noticed that your engine was at service. I assume you must have in middle of coolant flush.

For some reason I thought the mentioned Pic above also related to A/C too, something like if full open better heat... closed better A/C..... Thought I read a thread on that particular piece (with cable) you can diag by using your slider with a/c on the it should closed IIRC being touching the stop point. This is top where the PHH comes up and into correct?

or in my case (i thought this drove the rear heat) this is leaking on mine after running a compression test on my radiator. Sorry, Im not very technical with verbiage.

phhnot.jpg

I am always very humbled by the genuine responses i get anytime i have any issues....thus making my rig that much fun to own.

thank you guys!! :>

i'll try to re-attach it tomorrow......is is possible to purchase that part if mines rusted? since i wonder why it came off to begin with......

beowulf, i'll look again at your pictures and try to heed your warning on better protection for my harness.....btw can i get that thermal wrap from autozone?/napa?

....is is possible to purchase that part if mines rusted? since i wonder why it came off to begin with......

beowulf, i'll look again at your pictures and try to heed your warning on better protection for my harness.....btw can i get that thermal wrap from autozone?/napa?

Those are not my pics. I just did a search using keywords=heater control valve, and linked to the first picture that showed the cable. I'm not even sure it is the same year as yours but you asked about that cable and requested a picture so that is what you got. :D

You can buy a heater control valve. Getting that cable might be a bit more of a challenge and it will need to route to the slider control behind your dash. Hopefully it is in good shape. Please post pictures of yours so we know what you are talking about.

Google for the thermal wrap. Your local speed shops might carry it or you can get if online from Jeggs or Summit Racing. cpg wrapped his with something... kinda cool looking too. Ask him what it is and where he got it. If it is just 3M electrical tape then that sure seems like a lot of trouble for regular rubber tape. ;)

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom