which power cable brand for dual battery setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Which power cable brand for dual battery setup?

Hello guys,
i am about to order all the stuff for my dual battery setup and i cant decide where to get my power cables. i have read the post on dual setups.
I am installing a hellroaring isolator/combiner and i will have 2 alpine amps(900watts total)/ extreme air compressor/engel mt45 fridge on the back of the cruiser so i was thinking a 1/0 gauge wire from the main battery all the way to the rear and put a distribution fuse block (blue seas marine type or audio gear type jl audio/stinger/kicker/monster/etc kind) and get all the stuff connected.
Choices i have found for the 1/0 gauge cable
-wrangler power produts
-west marine tinned type cable
-Audio type cable JL audio/kicker/stinger/etc.
-welding cable?
i would like your help where to get the cable and which type is best needs to be flexible and durable acid/oil/heat.

also where to get oddesy batterys online and would the PC 1500 model fit both sides oem trays.

Any help would be appreciated.:bounce:

Last edited:
Go to a welding supply and get some OO/I cable or just order some online

Welding cable has fragile insulation and isn't oil resistant. Go to west marine and bite the bullet on some 'Ancor' brand cable with the 'boat cable' stamp on it. Rated for 105 deg. c wet and oil resistant. While you're there you an get some Ancor closed end tinned lugs and adhesive lined heat shrink to make her watertight. West Marine might let you use their compound crimping tool while you're there. (or bring it to my place with a cold beer and I'll crimp 'em for ya!

Try Genuinedealz on ebay. They have been great to me and are a hell of a lot cheaper than west marine. They have a few different quality cables and just about any terminal you would want.

Try Genuinedealz on ebay. They have been great to me and are a hell of a lot cheaper than west marine. They have a few different quality cables and just about any terminal you would want.

X2 on genuinedealz either way a tinned wire is a great way to go.
Also as said before welding cable insulation is not that great so you might want to use some kind of protective cover if you go that route.

ken

Welding cable has fragile insulation and isn't oil resistant. Go to west marine and bite the bullet on some 'Ancor' brand cable with the 'boat cable' stamp on it. Rated for 105 deg. c wet and oil resistant. While you're there you an get some Ancor closed end tinned lugs and adhesive lined heat shrink to make her watertight. West Marine might let you use their compound crimping tool while you're there. (or bring it to my place with a cold beer and I'll crimp 'em for ya!

Welding cable is available with many different varieties of insulation including neoprene so making the general statement that "Welding cable has fragile insulation and isn't oil resistant" is specious at best. Even EPDM insulated cable would have decent enough oil resistance that I would have no issues using it.

Two great reasons to go with the marine tin coat thin wire bundle is that it offers less electrical resistance than welding cable of the same size and greater resistance to vibration fatigue cracking.

100% for SURE go with marine grade. I've alreeady been down this road. 1024 strand 1/0 tinned cable is also MUCH easier to work with then the lower strand count cable.

GenuineDealz got a lot of money from me and so did Wrangler Power Products. GD's stuff was just better quality. More than likely what you will find at West Marine.

Welding cable is available with many different varieties of insulation including neoprene so making the general statement that "Welding cable has fragile insulation and isn't oil resistant" is specious at best. Even EPDM insulated cable would have decent enough oil resistance that I would have no issues using it.

Sorry. You're correct. However I have yet to see a fully tinned welding cable readily available (I have not been to Boeing surplus lately!). But how long a conductor can you actually put on an 80? Why not use the best wire available. I am no welder, just a marine electrician and I wouldn't want welding cable near anything that might see water, salty water or battery acid. Amazing how far up the conductor water wicks with the welding cable we remove from boats at the direction of the insurance surveyors. Even with a closed lug. And how a little vibration causes significant chafe in the insulation. Huge jump in resistance when the untinned wire turns green. I admit boat cable is totally overpriced, the 4/0 stuff we use for the 1000 amp hour house batteries runs something like $14/foot! Also, in marine service DC ground is yellow. I am going to re do my winch in 2/0 boat cable within a split loom cover fastened at least every 12 inches. The old battery cable chafed and now my bumper is shorting out the 12v-24v start solenoid when wet mud is packed around the mounts! ps- Ancor Boat Cable is made by Almo Wire and Cable. Same thing less money. Cheers.

I used a bunch of length from John Deere for stuff that they use on their big combines and industrial applications......comes in many different lengths and thicknesses....mine are 1/0 tractor grade in the correct black and red colors.

:D

Wow, didn't know all that about welding cable, might explain a few things that have been going on...good times. Might have to make a few changes to the setup (again). love this site

I've bought quit a few cables from GenuineDealz. I normally order them cut to length with the lugs and heatshrink tubing installed. They do great work at a fair price and you can buy whatever quality cable you want as they carry quite a few different grades.

FWIW, I usually go one size larger than the charts say I need when I buy wire. It's not worth my time or the small amount of money involved to worry about whether or not the wire will carry the load.

wow thanks guys for all the help :) i would probably go to west marine since i would be next week in Miami i would also look at the ebay store you guys mentioned.

One other small question where and what model of odyssey to get? is the 1500 model a good size without any triming to the holders?

where to get them online? sears?

wow thanks guys for all the help :) i would probably go to west marine since i would be next week in Miami i would also look at the ebay store you guys mentioned.

One other small question where and what model of odyssey to get? is the 1500 model a good size without any triming to the holders?

where to get them online? sears?

The Odyssey 1500 / Sears Platinum size 31 battery is an excellent choice and will physically fit right into the battery tray with 0 modifications. The pos and neg posts are the reverse of the way the Cruiser was set up for. You can mount the battery backwards - and then something has to be done about the battery cables as the positive in particular will be too short. If you are cabling this now - it should not be an issue. If you are not - then you can pull the fusable links into the battery tray to compensate.

I buy a lot of stuff from West Marine so I'm not knocking them at all but if you take 30 minutes before you go to Miami to measure your cables and lugs and another 30 minutes to order them online then you will have complete cables waiting for you upon your return.

The Odyssey 1500 / Sears Platinum size 31 battery is an excellent choice and will physically fit right into the battery tray with 0 modifications. The pos and neg posts are the reverse of the way the Cruiser was set up for. You can mount the battery backwards - and then something has to be done about the battery cables as the positive in particular will be too short. If you are cabling this now - it should not be an issue. If you are not - then you can pull the fusable links into the battery tray to compensate.

I just looked at the two sites again. I would now recommend by all means the DieHard Automotive Platinum P-2 over the P-1 mentioned. If you compare specs on the ODYSSEY Batteries - Battery Specifications site you will see that the P-2 is the PC1750 battery while the P-1 is the PC1500 battery. Since the price is the same and they will both physically fit - get the P-2 by all means!!!

Going through the garage today I found some cable that I forgot about. It is Military surplus 1/0 (I believe) and about 20ft long. Positive and negative into one sheath (thick sheath). If you are interested I can get an actual length for you. If it will work you can have it for 40 plus shipping. I am in Buffalo, NY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom