Current draw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.grifcoac.com
I was cleaning the terminals on my diesel yesterday and when i went to reinstall the cables, i heard a small little sparking sound. Sure enough, when i touched the heavy black wire(10 awg maybe) back to the positive terminal of the battery i got a pretty good little spark. The keys were out of the ignition and everything was off but i still am getting some sort of current draw. The first thing i checked was the wire going to the glow plug buss bar. I unhooked it from the bar, and touched the black wire back to the positive terminal and no more spark. So now i figure i'm getting 12vdc all the time to the glow plugs.
I grab my meter and do some checking...

Here i hooked the + meter lead to the glow plug wire..
PICT0002.jpg

And here is the - meter lead to the - battery terminal...
PICT0003.jpg

Here are the keys in the seat with nothing turned on...
PICT0005.jpg

But yet i'm still getting 12vdc...
PICT0004.jpg

Do i have a stuck relay? I have a relay mounted on the floor board of the passanger side... is this where i need to start?

Thanks
Cody

I am not familiar with the HJ45 but that is where the relay is for the BJ40s. The Superglow relays for my BJ42 are in the same general area, too.

Can that fluke measure how many amps you are drawing? I would guess that it is more likely a radio memory that is causing the small spark. (not sure how it is backfeeding the glow bar though)

It's a trick... the keys are in the ign. and turned on when you get the reading... that's an old one..... :hillbilly::hillbilly: Don't you think anyone will believe you unless you have a foto...... heh heh

It's a trick... the keys are in the ign. and turned on when you get the reading... that's an old one..... :hillbilly::hillbilly: Don't you think anyone will believe you unless you have a foto...... heh heh

I wish ! Turns out that one of these relays (not sure why there are two of them) was stuck in the closed position.
PICT0001.jpg

It ended up being the bottom relay, so i slid a knife blade in between the points to free it up. I will pull it off tonight and clean both set up properly.
PICT0002-1.jpg

Here is the cover for the relays i found in the glovebox.
PICT0003-1.jpg

Thanks for the help :cheers:

One relay gives you glow when the glow switch is on, the other one gives you glow when the key is on start.

I cleaned mine up with a fine diamond coated nail file then polished them with crocus cloth, that was a few years ago and they have been fine ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom