My second best mod yet. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my fill of crappy key fob communication in my 80. Yesterday I ripped apart the alarm harness and pulled out the antenna wire about a 14ga or 16ga grey wire with silver markers that is about 7ft long. I routed it up the b pillar behind the trim and around the drivers door behind the door gasket and left a 3" tail hanging out just above the dash. Then, while grumbling under my breath things like "if that dont fix the b**ch then out it goes", i tried the remote. My first try was a good 60ft away and it worked. then I tried about 100 feet away and it still worked. Then I tried inside the house and it still worked.

This my dear fellow cruiser freaks is my second favorite mod - right after the supercharger. I encourage you all to do it this asap. It took me an hour, but I had a 4yr old assistant who was crawling all over me and pushing buttons and adjusting the seat to see if he could squish me under the steering wheel. The lil punk succeeded too.

Karl

This is on my list. On a side note, my son is almost 8 now - and actually helped for the first time over the weekend for a moment. Until now his "help" has been quite like your sons help.

I get good range out of my remote! I would say 6ft on a good day...um yea... I think I will be doing this soon!!!

Did this one a few months ago. Agree it is super easy and the remote range is more than 10X greater.

It took me an hour, but I had a 4yr old assistant who was crawling all over me and pushing buttons and adjusting the seat to see if he could squish me under the steering wheel. The lil punk succeeded too.

Karl

This is on my list. On a side note, my son is almost 8 now - and actually helped for the first time over the weekend for a moment. Until now his "help" has been quite like your sons help.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the helper problem. Do you also get the wife asking why it taking so long when you are being "helped."

Tech Content: Any pictures of a better description of where the wire is for those of us that want to make our remotes work from more than 5 feet away?

Knorrena,

When you say you pulled the antenna wire did you litteral pull it from the remote box under the seat or did you have to trace it all the way up into the dash to loosen it.

Thanks.

I just stick the fob under my chin and get an extra 10ft of range...

This makes me laugh every time I hear it. I tried it once but felt silly.

Yep the chin trick here too! although I have nightmares of going to the dentist one day and having them explain Ive been shooting waves of RF thru my face, and I need a new jaw. ;)

No jaw bone antenna required after this mod.

Great to hear that! This will definitely be included in my list of modifications. Hopefully I'll also get a good range on mine.

i just wish mine worked at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom