Sears Die Hard Platinum Marine / Odyssey Battery Store Shelf Life? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys-
My blue top optima decided to take a crap on me so i decided to go with a 34 size Sears Die Hard Platinum Marine based on the recommendations i have read here :D

Before i install the battery, i noticed the born on date shows 5/08. Should i be worried? Should i go back to sears and see if there is one with a better born on date?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you are close to where you bought it, take it back if it bothers you. I know I just bought a Marine battery yesterday from them and it came with a 36 month warranty. I wouldn't think the date makes a difference to that at all. If you're not that close, I'd use it but that's just my opinion.

If you are close to where you bought it, take it back if it bothers you. I know I just bought a Marine battery yesterday from them and it came with a 36 month warranty. I wouldn't think the date makes a difference to that at all. If you're not that close, I'd use it but that's just my opinion.

Agreed. IIRC, The DieHard Platinum comes with 4 year 100% warranty.

I bought my rig with a Panasonic OEM Lexus battery in the spot where the second battery goes. The previous owner never hooked it up.

It is dead. Brand New Battery dead.

Tried to charge it, it won't come back.

What a waste.

Update. I called the Sears i got the battery from and apparently all the platinum marines they had in the store were all born around 5/08. He said that type of battery isnt sold often and do have a shelf life longer than your typical battery.

Everywhere i have read says this battery has only a 3yr replacement warranty. Where are you guys find out it's a 4yr warranty?

The automotive Platinum has the 4 yr replacement warranty plus the pro-rated period; the marine Platinum line, with the same electrical specifications, has only the 3 year replacement period.

Should i have gotten the automotive platinum over the marine? Any particular reason why i should have gotten one over the other?

I personally got the marine, others will tell you to get the auto one for your main battery, but I have run marine batteries for years with great success, especially in colder weather. Mine does only have the 3 year.

Should i have gotten the automotive platinum over the marine? Any particular reason why i should have gotten one over the other?

I bought the 31M Marine Platinum only because Sears doesn't offer the group 31 in the automotive platinum. With the group 34, it looks like the automotive version would be better because it has the longer warranty, and appears to be identical in performance.

I would speculate that Sears expects the marine version to be abused more in a typical marine deep-cycle application than the automotive version installed in cars and used for lighter duty; thus they set the warranty to equalize their exposure to warranty claims between the two predicted usage/failure patterns.

I purchased the Sears Platinum/odyssey marine battery and it is one big SOB and heavy too. I think it weighs 60lbs+ but does start my truck with never a doubt in my mind even after sitting for weeks. I'm glad I got it.... the $250 price tag was not enjoyable. I like the 200 minutes of battery reserve as that was my reason for getting it among other things.

Add one more happy Sears Platinum customer.

In the summer I rarely drive the LC, it sits for a month or two without any problems. I'm approaching the 4yr mark and will get another when needed.

From Odyssey:

Thanks to rugged construction and AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) design, ODYSSEY batteries have an 8-12 year design life and a 3-10 year service life. Welded intercell connections enable it to withstand extreme vibration, and AGM design holds acid in place to prevent spills, even when installed on its side. And unlike conventional batteries, ODYSSEY batteries can be stored for up to 2 years and still be returned to full power.

Just wanted to close out this thread for any future searches. I ended up going back to Sears and getting the Sears Die Hard Platinum Automotive battery mainly for the warranty (100 months: 48 month free replacement and following 52 months, prorated) vs. the marine platinum which only came with a 3yr replacement warranty.

I think the advice on this board was great. If you are going with 34, go with the the automotive unless you know you need a deep cycle battery. If you need a bigger capacity battery, the 31M is likely the way to go as i dont think the 31 Die hard Platinum comes in the automotive type.

Just wanted to close out this thread for any future searches. I ended up going back to Sears and getting the Sears Die Hard Platinum Automotive battery mainly for the warranty (100 months: 48 month free replacement and following 52 months, prorated) vs. the marine platinum which only came with a 3yr replacement warranty.

I think the advice on this board was great. If you are going with 34, go with the the automotive unless you know you need a deep cycle battery. If you need a bigger capacity battery, the 31M is likely the way to go as i dont think the 31 Die hard Platinum comes in the automotive type.

I would say that is accurate - except I would also say that there is probably 0 internal difference between the 31 and the 31M ...as far as the Diehard Platinum goes. If you look at the Odyssey Factory site you can see that there are three versions of the 1500 battery - all the specs are the same except the terminals.

ODYSSEY Batteries - Battery Specifications

EDIT: There is a better deal out there...

I just looked at the two sites again. I would now recommend by all means the DieHard Automotive Platinum P-2 over the P-1 mentioned. If you compare specs on the http://www.odysseyfactory.com/battspecs.html site you will see that the P-2 is the PC1750 battery while the P-1 is the PC1500 battery. Since the price is the same and they will both physically fit - get the P-2 by all means!!!

Last edited:
EDIT: There is a better deal out there...

I just looked at the two sites again. I would now recommend by all means the DieHard Automotive Platinum P-2 over the P-1 mentioned. If you compare specs on the ODYSSEY Batteries - Battery Specifications site you will see that the P-2 is the PC1750 battery while the P-1 is the PC1500 battery. Since the price is the same and they will both physically fit - get the P-2 by all means!!!

Yeah, I just bought the P-2 Group 65 this week for my starter battery and will be installing it this morning. I will post up pics when I am done. Next month I will be picking up the Group 31 Marine battery for my second/accessory battery.

What a worthless day..... Anything and everything that could go wrong in changing a stinking battery did go wrong today. :mad:
And after all of these problems I get to the final step of putting the hold down bracket on after I nicely re-painted it and now I am looking at grounding out the battery with the bracket! :censor:
Here are some pics to see what I am talking about.

bluetribal-albums-misc-picture11918-die-hard-platinum-p-2-group-65-not-working-out-hold-down-bracket.jpg

bluetribal-albums-misc-picture11920-terminal-touching-hold-down-bracket-doh.jpg

I researched and looked at battery spec after battery spec and I thought that putting in a battery a little smaller than the International Group 27 would mean putting some wood under it at the most to get it to fit. Boy was I wrong and overlooked a major issue.

So my solution is to get something welded up Like This but to go across the top in the middle not along the front edge. But not sure when I am going to be able to get this done so this really sucks.

...now I am looking at grounding out the battery with the bracket! :censor:

Is the negative lead long enough to allow you to rotate the battery 180 degrees? It may not be a factory setup to have the positive terminal on the driver's side, but it will get you going until you can fab the bracket that you want.

Otherwise (and you've probably thought of this), you can relieve the bracket near the terminals and repaint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom