Nicaraguan Rig (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me what this is? Never seen one before. I had to do a double-take before I realized it wasn't just another Nica 40. It's tiny. My guess is some sort of old Rover model or similar english import. Anyone know the make, model, specs ect?
You brits probably see these all the time. I just thought the bezel, hard-top, and wheels were strangely yota-like.

_DSC0029.jpg

_DSC0030.jpg

looks like one of the bandierente (sp) type.

You sure? I thought the Bandie's were roughly the same size as other Toyota export LC's and had "Toyota" emblem on front grill. This thing was about 2 1/2 feet shorter than a 40.

It's a Diahatsu.

Can't remember the model name - but they're not uncommon.

Perhaps "Rocky" - something like that.

:cheers:

Daihatsu Taft F 50 RV

4WD,engine: 2530 cc 4 cylinder naturally aspirated diesel engine, max power 66 bhp/4000 rpm, max torque 162 Nm/2200rpm

Last edited:
Didn't Dihatsu make a version for Toyota called the Blizzard?

I see these all the time in Costa Rica - almost as common as cruisers. I believe there are also vintage Suzuki 4x4s that look similar. These are well known here because there was a time when they were beating the classic cruisers in off road competitions - the cruisers, being bigger and heavier, would got bogged down in the mud - these boxes would almost ride over it. Anyway that is all hearsay - stuff you hear people tell other people.

Yep, Daihatsu Taft or Scat, later stolen away by Toyota and branded the Blizzard.

Like Rloaderro said, they are pretty common in CR, but I suspect mainly away from the capital. I've never seen one in the central valley.

I think they might be more common in Nicaragua. FWIW, I've never seen one anywhere except Central America and SE Asia.

I've taken a bunch of pics of them wondering the same thing but they are all on my "Raptop".

:frown:

Was that picture taken in Granada?

Toyota Owns Daihatsu. :D

I just did a quick search for when and found out they signed an agreement in 1967 and in the late 90's bought controlling interest.

Ditto on the Daihatsu, and all the little Suzuki's that run around Costa Rica. I've not seen as many of any of these vehicles in Nicaragua (excepting a nice stash of OEM Toyota 70 series beds with headache racks and tailgates), but see all different variants in CR: Toyota's out the ying yang - almost every model imaginable, plus pick ups, plus an OEM restored FJ25, etc. etc. etc.; tons and tons or Land Rovers; the Suzuki's; the Diahatsu's; up nearer to Tamarindo used to see a bunch of the American Military jeeps (figured they were left over from Ollie); some premo condition Nissan Patrols; mint mid 70's Dodge Power Wagon - it's gotten to the point that when on surf trips - and we're traveling between towns/breaks - my friends only afford me one stop to oogle or parts shop (the junk yards rule!).

..... These are well known here because there was a time when they were beating the classic cruisers in off road competitions - the cruisers, being bigger and heavier, would got bogged down in the mud - these boxes would almost ride over it. Anyway that is all hearsay - stuff you hear people tell other people.

Well that assessment certainly agrees with my memory of the competition situation here in NZ in the 80s and 90s.

And the situation still exists to some extent today where we still see the odd modified 40-series in competitions. But then there are far more different competition-vehicle-classifications today to complicate matters.

When I watch competitions today - the only vehicles I really enjoy are the handful of V8-powered forties and I photograph none of the others at all! Here's a pic of an event in my home town here a year or so ago with shots of four different forties inlaid into the corners. (The bottom-left belonged to fellow mud-member Andrew Farmer but he wasn't competing - just helping with the odd vehicle-recovery.)

DeadwoodSaf.JPG

But in my view those light 4x4s never had any "style". Not only that but they are useless for towing and vehicle-recovery. And people like me EXPECT a 4x4 to be able to tow heavy loads as a sideline activity.

DeadwoodSaf.JPG

Good eye! Yes, that rig was in Granada. It makes sense it would be Toyota related--everything is. I believe the wealthy Pellas family is responsible for most of the Toyotas you see in Central America. Nicaragua didn't have the cleanest rigs (I think Costa Rica does a little better with that but if you peer back in some of the finca's around you might find a few gems) but they kept them running just as well. Anyway lest this get too chatty: some more sight-seeing shots around Granada. Wish I could have driven one home. Who knows maybe they're mud members.

P.S. Sputnik--did a lot of ogling myself, much to the wife's chagrin. We don't get this kind of LC diversity on the East Coast. Thanks for the info guys:cheers:
_DSC0031.jpg

_DSC0032.jpg

DSCN0196.jpg

DSCN0184.jpg

_DSC0035.jpg

_DSC0013-1.jpg

Last edited:
What is this one?
Nissan?
nissanjeep1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back