Fluid leaking from the rear wheel.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed my brakes were a little weaker than normal the other day and topped off the MC.... Slowly the MC seems to be loosing fluid and I noticed than not only is the ebrake a little weaker, but I also have fluid leaking in my passenger rear brake assembly...

I suspected it to be the brake cylinder leaking but it looks completely dry (and muddy:rolleyes:) while the shoes, drum and wheel well are all kinds of lubed up with what I assume is brake fluid.

Last wheeling trip involved a lot of water and very cold temperatures. My rear brakes froze up badly as I mistakenly used my parking brake while on top of a windy mountaintop....... Would this cause something to brake :bang:

Could it be something other than the brake cylinder? Somehow related to the ebrake instead, or does the ebrake work through the brake cylinder....? It seems to drip toward the rear side of the tire (toward the back of the truck)

Probably a newb question, but its my first experience with drums..

E-brake pulls on the bellarm that mechanically activates your drums. The rubber parts of the cylinder sit inside your drum, so they could leak into the drum and then leak out the bottom.

Perhaps the cold cracked some old rubber.

Jack it up, pop the rubber plug on the axle side of the brake backing plate, use two screwdrivers to back the brake shoes off, pull/use a bolt to get the drum off, and take a look!

Rear wheel cylinder replacement involves two bolts and the brake line fitting. Really easy, and one of the first repairs I did on my cruiser (8 years ago!).

There's also your axle seal...

Good luck!

Yup, either brake fluid or diff fluid. If you're familiar with both, a quick sniff and feel would go a long way in distinguishing them. If it is in fact the axle seal, make sure the diff breather isn't clogged/broken.

So basically the only place I can leak fluid if at the wheel cylinder? I took the drum off and the cylinder didn't look leaky but something is definatley leaking! Guess I should just replace tha cylinder and shoes and see,

Would the axle seal be the inner seal or outer seal, I was try to figure this all out but it was getting dark the other day..

Yup, either brake fluid or diff fluid. If you're familiar with both, a quick sniff and feel would go a long way in distinguishing them. If it is in fact the axle seal, make sure the diff breather isn't clogged/broken.

I'll check this in the morning too....;) I'm thinking brake fluid just since I've had to top it off lately

Would the axle seal be the inner seal or outer seal, I was try to figure this all out but it was getting dark the other day..

There is only an outer rear axle seal (no inner). If that has gone, then you need to pull the diff inspection cover, pull out the c-clips, pull the axle out and replace the outer seal. I just replaced my seals this weekend.

Check the axel seal. That fuild can cause issues with the vehicle pulling to one side opposite of wear the leak is. Do you have this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom