83 FJ60 New owner questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone just got this baby last week 71,000 orig miles its true .
naturally I have a few questions to start with.

1- can you tell from the pict if this thing has some kind of lift on it or is this its stock height . in wich case if it is lifted do I need special shocks or just normal shocks

2- I can't find a jack on it anywhere, if there was one where would it be? and if it doesn't have one, what should I get?

3- exhaust leak up front somewhere seems to be coming from the engine somewhere or manifold area anything I should be looking for?

4- tires do seem small what would be a bigger option with more width but not too crazy?

thanks in advance oh yeah if anyone has a brown drivers seat in reasonable condition let me know ... meanwhile this truck is awesome
LCside2-09.jpg

Welcome

1. You got the stock shackles and it looks like the springs are original. No lift. Those 235 size tires?

2. Look under the drivers seat if you have one.

3. Exhaust Manifold is probably leaking.

4. 31x10.5

The universal FJ60 exhaust leak is at the EGR port on the exhaust manifold. There is a small gasket that goes there and it breaks down.

I agree that it looks stock in terms of height.

Unless you lift, I would stick with the original sized tires.

The universal FJ60 exhaust leak is at the EGR port on the exhaust manifold. There is a small gasket that goes there and it breaks down.

x2. If you find that's where your leak is coming from, SOR sells a stainless steel replacement that, although pricey, is worth it in my opinion for it's extra thick flange. And don't replace the gasket with the SOR Kevlar version, go OEM (or some are recommending Remflex).

Welcome to Mud!

That thing is way over-rated and not necessary, if the orginal flange is warped, just straighten it out and double the gasket.
I did just that and it worked:bounce:

.... for about two months then that annoying tick started slowly coming back:mad:. Others may have had better luck straightening their original and reusing, but I'm glad to have spent the $70 to be done with it.
:cheers:
Butt

Lucky me... mine is desmoged!:p

There might be junk in your trunk

Nice ride. especially in Connecticut. Probably has not seen too many winters.

2- I can't find a jack on it anywhere, if there was one where would it be? and if it doesn't have one, what should I get?

My bottle jack is in the cargo area of the truck. Look in the rear drivers side compartment. It has that twist dial looking thing. I opened it up to find the previous owner left tools, gloves, oil, etc.

you know what it looks like that EGR port is dissconnected I wonder if that means the emissions stuff is off it . Its looking like it actually. I'm still trying to get familiar with this engine. Replacing the exhaust manifold must be a brutal job. it looks tough to get at. I'm sure it means removing the carb and intake manifold just get to it right?

you know what it looks like that EGR port is dissconnected I wonder if that means the emissions stuff is off it . Its looking like it actually. I'm still trying to get familiar with this engine. Replacing the exhaust manifold must be a brutal job. it looks tough to get at. I'm sure it means removing the carb and intake manifold just get to it right?

Yup. It's all gotta come out. The intake and exhaust manifolds are bolted together as one piece though. There are lots of threads on here about making sure the surfaces of the manifolds are true. The job actually isn't as brutal as you might think. Just need to take your time. And if it hasn't already been said, get yourself the Factory Service Manuals (FSM). You'll especially need the emissions manual if you are still smogged. Post some pics of the engine compartment and folks on here can tell you if you've been de-smogged.
:cheers:
Butt

Can you use a hi-lift jack with stock bumpers? .

No. They tend to bend the stockers.

Bottle jacks are much safer, easier to carry and cheap. Just find a used one. There were even some for sale recently in the for sale section with the operating rod.

Can you use a hi-lift jack with stock bumpers? I would think they would bend or the jack would slip off.

I carry two jacks, the bottle, and the Hi-Lift. If you place the Hi-lift correctly, it will not bend the stock bumper, and properly placed it will not slip, I have used them for over twenty years. I replaced my springs using both jacks (bottle and Hi-lift) and of course jack stands. If you are planning to go off road, the Hi-lift works a lot better. If I need a jack while on the road, I use the bottle jack.

I have not had a problem with the highlifts bending my bumper, as long as I put it under the frame.

A picture is worth a thousand words!!!:D

The bottle jacks wont work in the mud I get into. Mike

I'll use mine in the next couple of weeks for a lift kit replacement,I'll post pics!:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom