School me on a diesel swap into my 1991 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1991 3fe engine, A440 transmission.Can you list the motors that will work with and without "Mark's Adapters" from Australia.(With being a direct bolt-on) If I go with a diesel, do I HAVE to lift the truck? I have noticed there are some decent diesels like this...eBay Motors: TOYOTA HiLUX PICK-UP 4RUNNER TURBO DIESEL ENGINE 2L-TE (item 220357959808 end time Feb-17-09 12:47:02 PST)
or this
eBay Motors: 4Runner Land Cruiser JDM 2L-TE Turbo Diesel Engine 4X4 (item 230323831292 end time Feb-15-09 06:59:57 PST)
(From what I have read, these blow heads)
or this...
eBay Motors: JDM Used Toyota 1KZ Turbo Diesel Engine w/4x4 5Spd (item 200308769061 end time Feb-17-09 10:36:49 PST)
I understand the 6.2 and 6.5 are also a great conversion, as well as the 1hz and hz-t.

Can someone lay it out for me?

Appreciated.

I think L engines are prone to head issues and are likely too small for an 80. There are a lot of Surfs around here with popped motors. My friend has a JDM Hilux with a 2LT and it drives terrific with super mileage. I understand a turboed 1HZ is supposed to be a real winner.

how about doing a search?
there is lots of info about those engiens here and NONE of them is a direct bolt up.

Not sure about the KZ...but swapping a 2L-T into an 80 series is like dropping a 50cc moped engine into a big Harley frame. With a heck of a lot of custom work you can probably make it happen...and sure it'll still move the vehicle..........eventually...but why bother? And no matter how many flames you paint on the gas tank the moped engine will never look right on the Harley...I feel the same way with the 2L-T in an 80...lol.

You've mentioned the 1HZ already...I think the ideal engines to drop into an FJ80 are: 12H-T, 1HZ, and 1HD-T. Heck, even a naturally aspirated 2H with a home brew turbo on it will be waaaay better than a 2L-T. :D

I love the 12H-T...and I'm in the process of swapping that into my 1991 FJ80 right now. :beer:

Not sure about the KZ...but swapping a 2L-T into an 80 series is like dropping a 50cc moped engine into a big Harley frame. With a heck of a lot of custom work you can probably make it happen...and sure it'll still move the vehicle..........eventually...but why bother? And no matter how many flames you paint on the gas tank the moped engine will never look right on the Harley...I feel the same way with the 2L-T in an 80...lol.

You've mentioned the 1HZ already...I think the ideal engines to drop into an FJ80 are: 12H-T, 1HZ, and 1HD-T. Heck, even a naturally aspirated 2H with a home brew turbo on it will be waaaay better than a 2L-T. :D

I love the 12H-T...and I'm in the process of swapping that into my 1991 FJ80 right now. :beer:

x2

welcome back Stone !

Yah I like this idea. I need to find a tired body HJ61 Auto for my swap. Then I can use the full floater(hopefully locked) axles under my BJ60...

I would love the 12HT, but finding one and the price kept me from it. It was one of my first choices but never could find one.
Marks adapters makes an adapter for the GM 6.2 diesel to bolt up to the A440. I ended going with the 6.2 and a 700R4 in my 94. I loved the engine but ended up selling the vehicle to buy a Mercedes Diesel.
You will hear alot of people really put the 6.2 down, but do some research on dieselplace.com and ask around, it really is a great engine. Incredibly simple, plenty of power if you get a later model engine and I got about 20 mpg with it.
The engines are cheap and easy to come by. Military take-outs are everywhere for under $1,000 and usually in great shape. You will need all accessories and convert it to 12V, though so plan on another $500 -800 to have it ready. The adapter is another $750 or so.
Still considerably cheaper than any Toyota option and parts can be bought and any corner parts store.
It totally changes the personality of the FJ80, I loved it!
If you are at all interested send me a PM, I will be happy to tell you more about it.
Rusty

a buddy of ours put a 3b with 5speed in his fj80. donner vehicle was 83bj60. his truck was a 91fj80 now a bj80

we went wheeling this weekend an i love the sound of his rig

On numbers a 1KZ-T don't sounds too bad for a 80 swap . but still think the power out of a little engine that depends complete on the turbo to make powa gonna drive you in the lots of rpm wa to keep it moving .. stresing the engine all the time and virtually no low end torque ..

That's a decent find, Bruce...the buyer can sell the cable lockers to recoup some of his cost.

Hmm...someone else to do the 12H-T into an FJ80 swap? Would be interesting to see if there are differences in the approach. :)

:beer:

Yeah but we were talking about diesel swaps.
good catch...!

I saw that and thought oh ya.....

I expect to pay about 7-8 for a rotten one with the right engine. But will see. Right now I tight on change, but this spring/summer I am due for it.

The one you posted LowenBrau is in Saskatoon. A bit far. I prefer one in BC. Even better if its already licenced. Just buy a permit and drive it up. Then cut it up.....

good catch...!

I saw that and thought oh ya.....

I expect to pay about 7-8 for a rotten one with the right engine. But will see. Right now I tight on change, but this spring/summer I am due for it.

The one you posted LowenBrau is in Saskatoon. A bit far. I prefer one in BC. Even better if its already licenced. Just buy a permit and drive it up. Then cut it up.....

Crawlin Cruiser (aka Dan), in Kamloops one fore sale in that price bracket. He was trying to sell it whole but was also considering parting it out. Bruce, this one I am sure is diesel. But I am not sure where it went of if he still has it. Brownbear, you might shoot him a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom