Can I use 100 pads on a 1992 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvazquez53

El Tractor
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm getting ready to replace the front disk rotors on my 80 with a set of DBA's, Can I use 100 series brake pads on a 1992 FJ80? If so, what are the benefits?:hmm:

This is the dumbest thing people try and tell you to do to an 80 series

They dont fit!!!

And if someone tells you they fit they are smoking crack or there rotors are so worn out that they made them fit.

This is the dumbest thing people try and tell you to do to an 80 series

They dont fit!!!

And if someone tells you they fit they are smoking crack or there rotors are so worn out that they made them fit.

I don't know about a 91 or 92 - but they certainly do fit a 97 with new rotors. Gotta love those sweeping statements. ...It doesn't work for me - so it can't work for anyone - right? :flipoff2:

Fine, I'll get 80's pads tomorrow morning.:D

was wonderin myself too, for my 1991 hdj81, but i think i read somewhere it does for the later generation 80...so sucks for me. (i think they're just bigger/longer pads for more contact area, so better breaking power i guess...? )

I don't know about a 91 or 92 - but they certainly do fit a 97 with new rotors. Gotta love those sweeping statements. ...It doesn't work for me - so it can't work for anyone - right? :flipoff2:

were they oem rotors and oem pads?

Doubt it. We have done this test more than once at the shop and it does not work.

dont know if you use aftermarket stuff if the tolerances may let you do this?

I have seen the pads installed on 80's that come in and you can tell they were force in. Most of the 80's that come into the shop that have this supposed upgrade are having rotors replaced.

and if you say you have done it than you are the man.

was wonderin myself too, for my 1991 hdj81, but i think i read somewhere it does for the later generation 80...so sucks for me. (i think they're just bigger/longer pads for more contact area, so better breaking power i guess...? )

If you can get them in there they will definetly stop better but your rotors will not hold up on a daily driver.

Your caliper even on a worn rotor does not have enough room to expand, therefore to much heat and eventually warped rotors.

The key is the new 100 rotor. I did not try myself yet, but had a discussion with CDan the other day. The word of advice is that if you are in need of new rotors, it is an option, otherwise I probably wouldn't do it just to fit 100 pads. (That's for 96LX, not sure about the 91LC).

[Edited] It is confirmed that 100 rotors will not work (5-lug vs 6-lug).

Last edited:
Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the earth this morning.

Calm down-it's just brake pads.

TK

not upset at all just dont like people telling other people to do things to there truck that will end up costing them more money later down the road, and then stand behind it and say it works.

Lance the owner actually did a skid test in a late 95 80 trying to prove disprove this theory. with old rotors we could force the pads in there, but it did noticeably stop any better( maybe a little bit at slow speeds). But with new OEM rotors they just wont go in unless you have a big hammer ( ha ha )

This subject is more of a pet peave of the shops people call me all the time asking us to do this when there truck is in for service and I just have to laugh.

The key is the new 100 rotor. I did not try myself yet, but had a discussion with CDan the other day. The word of advice is that if you are in need of new rotors, it is an option, otherwise I probably wouldn't do it just to fit 100 pads. (That's for 96LX, not sure about the 91LC).

This is funny I was just going to go there. I have had this discussion and this does work. However the 100 rotors are much more exspensive and most people dont want to spend the extra coin to do this.

But this is the correct way to put a large pad on a thinner rotorwith 5 lugs instead of 6 :flipoff2::doh:

LOL You are kidding me right

Off my soap box now

Last edited:
Been running them for years - all OEM - I guess my front brakes don't work then :confused:

Been running them for years - all OEM - I guess my front brakes don't work then :confused:

So you are telling me that you put new OEM 80 rotors on and new OEM 100 series pads on at the same time and did not have any problems making it fit.

I can say yes to that last question. I just rebuilt my front axle with oem 80 rotors and oem 100 pads (right from toyota) and the install was simple and smooth. As far as performance gains, I wouldn't know since this is under a 60.:popcorn:

I can say yes to that last question. I just rebuilt my front axle with oem 80 rotors and oem 100 pads (right from toyota) and the install was simple and smooth. As far as performance gains, I wouldn't know since this is under a 60.:popcorn:

never tried it on a 60 before we do switch the 92 4runner calipers and pads over to the 60's and it makes a pritty good difference.

It was definitely tight - and a bit too tight for my tastes when using new OEM hardware - but it fit.

When I chose to do this everyone was doing it - like jumping off a bridge. If this is Dans recommendation - I would either go this route next time or go to 80 pads.

I would agree with that 100%

I may try it at the shop soon and I will post up how well it works.

But with all this discussion I dont see the reason a fresh set of pads on an 80 stop just fine.

Cam

I did the same, new 80 rotors and new 100 pads, no problem fitting and much bigger surface area on the 100 pads. This again with CDAN recommnedation and other on here.

I'm doing the brake job this weekend, I already bought 80 ceramic pads in combination with DBA rotors.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom