96 LC funky noise when in LO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased this on Thursday, was out "playing" yesterday and when it is in LO, I can hear a funny grinding/chattering noise in the steering column area.

No popping or anything from front end, so that's a good thing. This noise just sounds a little odd.

Last edited:
My question is in my first post about the noise that I hear when in LO range. I said that it sounded "odd" because I wasn't expecting that kind of noise in the steering column. I was listening for a noise in the front end if there were problems.

I read post #1 along with all your posts in this thread and there are no questions in any of your posts.

If your question is:
"Is a grinding noise from the steering column normal?"
... then my response to your question is:

No, a grinding or chattering noise from the steering column is not normal.

-B-

If it is only in LO, I would spend more time investigating. Sounds can travel and be deceiving, i would bring it to your technician or at least have someone walk along side the outside and see if the noise is detectable from the outside and narrow it from there.

I read post #1 along with all your posts in this thread and there are no questions in any of your posts.

If your question is:
"Is a grinding noise from the steering column normal?"
... then my response to your question is:

No, a grinding or chattering noise from the steering column is not normal.

-B-

I'm not going to argue with you. A reasonable person could logically deduce my question by the statement that I was hearing a funny noise coming from the steering column. I feel that you are just trying to give the "new guy" a hard way to go. I personally don't have time for this nonsense and can think of lots of other forums where I can deal with this kind of crap. I thought that this forum was supposed to be somewhat educational for Land Cruiser owners, especially those with limited or no experience.

Of course a grinding or chattering noise is not normal.

Thankfully murf is a nice guy and obviously understands what my question is. Maybe you could take some pointers from him . . .

If it is only in LO, I would spend more time investigating. Sounds can travel and be deceiving, i would bring it to your technician or at least have someone walk along side the outside and see if the noise is detectable from the outside and narrow it from there.

Thanks, murf, that is a very good suggestion, that is why I posted this "question" here.

In the future I will be more cognizant of the way in which I pose a question

In the future I will be more cognizant of the way in which I pose a question

A question mark would be a good start.

Thankfully murf is a nice guy and obviously understands what my question is. Maybe you could take some pointers from him . . .

Your thread went 3-1/2 days with nobody offering any help. I intentionally did you a favor by bumping your formerly dead thread off of page 6 and now you want to bust my chops.

:rolleyes:

-B-

Just purchased this on Thursday, was out "playing" yesterday and when it is in LO, I can hear a funny grinding/chattering noise in the steering column area.

No popping or anything from front end, so that's a good thing. This noise just sounds a little odd.

To be honest glock223, you haven't given us much info to start with. The more info you give, the more precisely we can help you. Is the noise from inside the cab or in the engine bay? Does it happen when driving straight, turning, or both? Can you feel it in the steering wheel? Does it change with speed? Does it happen when driving over bumps or is it constant. I could go on and on ;)

Just wait until you misspell Beo's name... :D

Just wait until you misspell Beo's name... :D

:D

Now that we are on a valid topic, it is incomprehensible to me how someone can misspell a name that is right there in front of them on the post they are replying to. How can they possibly screw that up it? I mean just copy and paste if you aren't sure.

I think there should be a $10 penalty to 'Mud for every time someone misspells another user's name. Woody would be rich. Maybe $10 to Woody, $10 to the disparaged member, and a 2 day time out.

I could go on, but clock223 has a noise somewhere and he's already pi$$ed at me so I will shut up for now. ;)

-B-

Last edited:
Another fine should be administered when someone writes "my breaks dont work".

Clock, understand that Beowulf has been around for a long time and gained the respect of all on the board. You took his smartass response personally, and you should not have. Maybe thats why you have such a silly call name.

Anyway, we are here to help and you will find all kinds of help when you arm us with info. The info you have provided is sparse. I cant think of any reason why you might be experiencing what you are because the two systems are not really connected. Do you get the noise at a standstill, at all speeds, only when turning, is a metallic sound, is your idle high or low, are your keys resting on the dash, is the clamshell loose? You know I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Karl

Clock, understand that Beowulf has been around for a long time and gained the respect of all on the board. You took his smartass response personally, and you should not have. Maybe thats why you have such a silly call name.

Anyway, we are here to help and you will find all kinds of help when you arm us with info. The info you have provided is sparse. I cant think of any reason why you might be experiencing what you are because the two systems are not really connected. Do you get the noise at a standstill, at all speeds, only when turning, is a metallic sound, is your idle high or low, are your keys resting on the dash, is the clamshell loose? You know I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Karl

And the recepient of our first fine goes to.... :flipoff2:

Karl

Karl, thanks for the info, those are all things that I could check further. Now, on the subject of a silly call name . . .

Beowulf

How about you and I start over? I'm Darren from SE Missouri and I'm completely new to the LC scene. I've owned several Toyotas over the years, but I'm not a wrench turner and I would like to gain as much info on my LC as possible.

I will check out the "funky" sounds further this weekend and will try to describe them better.

As far as my user name goes, I'm a Glock fan and an AR fan. I tried to have the username of glock556 but it was already taken. (.556 is the NATO round for an AR, but .223 is close enough)

Thanks

glock223

Darren,
Check out the noises and give us more information this weekend. Welcome to 'Mud and 80-Series ownership. They're good trucks and will take you out to the boonies so you can shoot up things.

Our boot camp class was one of the first to use M16's at Ft Polk. Ironically, they issued me an AR15 instead of the M16 that everyone else got. Internally it was similar to the M16 but some of the internal bits were more shiny metal and the M16s were black. The flash arrestor on mine had 3 prongs or fingers; the M16s had a ring on the end. There were a few other differences that I cannot remember. They wouldn't let us fire full auto except for a few times with blanks. Live fire was all semi-auto as I recall. I think we emptied 1 clip full-auto toward the end of the training just so we knew what to expect.

:cheers:

-B-

I applaud you Glock223. You should know that this is a brotherhood of sorts and we kinda look out for one another. Beowulf has provided a whole lot of great guidance to many and deserves a whole lot of respect.

So now onto solving your issue. Could you provide us with more info please? Here are a few questions I have.

When you hear the grinding sound, is it while you are turning the wheel? Mine has a very slight grind when I turn right off a centred wheel for about 1/10 of a roation. This occurs in high and low transfer case positions. A few others have reported it also so I chocked it up as part of the cruiser experience.

Does your truck have lockers? The steering system has to work very hard when the front axle is locked. Perhaps the sound you are hearing is a power steering pump that is working hard?

Have you checked your power steering fluid level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom