Just Bought 88 Royal Blue 115k mi !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Impounded by police in Aug 2008, This truck had been sitting for sale "as-is" non-running at a local tow yard lein sale lot. It turned over but did not start... so it sat unsold with a ridiculously cheap price.

1195.jpg

I saw the potential in the "fixable truck". I knew the problem had to be minor since the truck was probably running in August as it was part of an "unlicenced driver" impound. It was passed by because most there are looking for disposable commuter cars that run fairly well... Hmmm I fell in love with the Land Cruiser and decided to take the risk, knowing I could probably sell the non-running truck for a profit if needed.

As I inspected and tried to get it running I asked the yard guy to add some gas since the gauge was low. Next thing you know I had a Land Cruiser on my credit card. I drove the Land Cruiser to pick up my buddy so he could bring my Nissan Pathfinder home. Bottom line is this Land Cruiser is Nicccce SMOOOOTH running and low 115k mileage truck.

I have NO experience with these trucks except yearning for one every time one drove by... Soooo...there are a couple of issues that I need help trying to tackle first.

1- The ignition key does not work in ANY of the door/gate lock cylinders leaving the truck unlocked in my driveway all night.

2- two dime sized rust spots needing to be repaired. one at bottom corner of windsheild other at bottom corner of rear side glass. Minor surface rust on couple other spots as well.

3- Can't figure out how to get the Green 4WD light to go off on the dash. I took it out of 4WD but the light stays on. I may be just very stupid on this one... still looking into it.

4-small exhaust leak at doughnut after manifold... easy? hard? I've dont this repair on tons of mustangs...

5- Bent front bumper...I think I can figure this one out.

6- A/C belt hanging off...again...I think I can figure this one out.

Other than that...EVERYTHING works! Yippee!

Last edited:
Welcome

Awesome :) So how much did you pay?

You have came to the right place.

1. Call C-dan at American Toyota or go to local dealership and get new factory keys. (not too much)

3. Most like a vacuum problem. Look on the firewall on passenger side and pull the line off that as vacuum and bypass the solenoid and you can get the light to turn off most likely.

Also post pictures if you have some.

1- The ignition key does not work in ANY of the door/gate lock cylinders leaving the truck unlocked in my driveway all night.

ANSWER: Somebody changed the ignition key cylinder and then lost the key to the doors. On my fj62 one key fits every lock including the gas tank door.

2- two dime sized rust spots needing to be repaired. one at bottom corner of windsheild other at bottom corner of rear side glass. Minor surface rust on couple other spots as well.

ANSWER: lift up the rubber gasket and take a peek. If the rust extends up under there, you are going to be taking out the windshield and/or the back window. The rubber gaskets are probably 20 years old and can be replaced for about $60 a piece. The glass is several hundred. You decide which to sacrifice. And replace the chrome strips with rubber lock strips. Do a search for how to do.

3- Can't figure out how to get the Green 4WD light to go off on the dash. I took it out of 4WD but the light stays on. I may be just very stupid on this one... still looking into it.

ANSWER: There are two solenoids on the engine side of the firewall. The bottom one is bad. Common problem. Do a search.

4-small exhaust leak at doughnut after manifold... easy? hard? I've dont this repair on tons of mustangs...

ANSWER: Another common problem, several writeups. A search will reveal.

5- Bent front bumper...I think I can figure this one out.

6- A/C belt hanging off...again...I think I can figure this one out.

Other than that...EVERYTHING works! Yippee! I'll post pics soon!

See my answers in the quote above.

Last edited:
Oh, and welcome. I don't do the standard salute, but someone will soon enough. Get ready for some fun. There will be lots of little things to fix, and the cost goes up pretty fast, but it's a thrill ride to be sure.

Welcome to Mud! 60 or 62? If a 62, those usually have some sort of vacuum/solenoid arrangement that act up for engaging or disengaging four wheel drive. A search will reveal several threads on the subject.

Butt

Welcome

Awesome :) So how much did you pay?

Also post pictures if you have some.

I paid $1400, Pics will be taken today after work... It was stormin here in Cali yeasterday...

Welcome to Mud! 60 or 62? If a 62, those usually have some sort of vacuum/solenoid arrangement that act up for engaging or disengaging four wheel drive. A search will reveal several threads on the subject.

Butt

It is a 62... Thanks for the tips everyone.... I think I will do a search before asking any more tech questions because it seems there is a TON of posts on most of these issues!

Congrats, I am too a new owner of a '84 FJ60 and in the same boat trying to learn. I had owned several older FJ40/45's,FJ55's and mini trucks, but this is my first 2F with all the options.

Oh, and welcome. I don't do the standard salute, but someone will soon enough. Get ready for some fun. There will be lots of little things to fix, and the cost goes up pretty fast, but it's a thrill ride to be sure.

Thanks! I'm sure this truck will provide years of fun and enjoyment! I hope the costs are low, but I'm sure I will be bitten by the bug to totally restore/upgrade the truck!

Welcome to the family.
:flipoff2::flipoff2: (official MUD Salute mentioned above by SLC)

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Here is the pic from the Tow Yard... I didn't pay the price on the window... I got it for $1,400 :steer:
1195.jpg

Nice change transmission fluid,fuel filter, ,all fluids. Mike

Welcome well sounds like a deal to me !! I am a rookie with an 88 fj 62 ,
And I feel cooler than ever in it, probally because of the car seat !! Once again
Welcome and look around , all of your answers are here !! there is something
for everybody on mud .... ENJOY Money and time well spent..

Welcome well sounds like a deal to me !! I am a rookie with an 88 fj 62 ,
And I feel cooler than ever in it, probally because of the car seat !! Once again
Welcome and look around , all of your answers are here !! there is something
for everybody on mud .... ENJOY Money and time well spent..

Hey thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Ok give it to me straight on the oil galley plug.... is it something I should replace soon? or can it wait a couple of years? I am planning to drive about 3k mi per year on this truck....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom