Lynx Gulch day run and things I learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dude, who smokes a bowl when they wake up? At least wait til lunch :rolleyes:

Ah yes, the wake and bake. Not the most productive way to start out the day. :rolleyes:

It's good to see you putting the IPOR bumper to good use. I also have a 48" Hi-lift and it seems plenty long for most scenarios. I haven't read the whole thread, but one option would be to buy a 60" bar and mount it to the frame if you ever felt like you might need one.

I feel your locker-less pain. I have been in several situations where a quick flip of the switch would have saved me a lot of manual labor. A winch would also be nice in the future.

Wow. Ok I wasn't there so maybe I'm wrong, but from reading your original description and looking at the pictures, you guys were seriously lacking some forethought, and were very unprepared. Sorry but poor judgement was running rampant.

Wow. Ok I wasn't there so maybe I'm wrong, but from reading your original description and looking at the pictures, you guys were seriously lacking some forethought, and were very unprepared. Sorry but poor judgement was running rampant.

Perhaps it sounds more serious than it was. Sure I personally didn't have a few essentials like a shovel. But I wasn't completely unprepared. I knew what it was going to take to get out and I used what I had available and it worked fine.

Saying I wasn't prepared because I didn't have a winch or because I didn't have lockers isn't good enough. People have been off-roading for many moons without either of those and have managed to survive.

I had a good spare, I have tools, I had food, water, clothing. I had a Hi-Lift, I had bottle jack, snow chains, etc.

I would have been fine even if I was there by myself. It just would have taken a LOT longer to extract myself is all.

The ONLY poor judgement I can see and what I would do different would be to have a shovel. Other than that everything went fine and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Last edited:
I think this thread has been blown out of proportion. I don't have a highlift, winch, bumpers, spare birfs and axles, tire chains, sat phone, gps, ham radio etc. Should I not venture off pavement either? What's so wrong with getting some dirt on the tires without spending thousands of dollars on accessories for my truck. People venture out in stock cars and trucks all the time without more forethought than some gas and a credit card. Joey was obviously well prepared for the type of trail he was going on, and when he managed to get himself into a situation that required some work to get out of, he did a good job with what he had on hand (since he was prepared). There is always room for improvement and this forum is one good source of tips & tricks, so lets try and provide more pointers and less trash talk.

As far as the road closure, I personally wouldn't have driven past the sign, but it appears (afterwards) that it was legal to do so. I agree that the image of off-roaders needs to improve, but driving past a road closure sign on an unmaintained road doesn't register very high on the scale of 4wheeler atrocities.

IMO, YMMV etc etc ad nauseum...

Joey, I'd still going wheeling with you (if I ever ended up in Cali) :cheers:

I think this thread has been blown out of proportion.

Hear, hear.

I don't have a highlift, winch, bumpers, spare birfs and axles, tire chains, sat phone, gps, ham radio etc. Should I not venture off pavement either?

There are people here who wouldn't leave the house without all that s***, much less hit the trails for a day of 'wheeling.

What's so wrong with getting some dirt on the tires without spending thousands of dollars on accessories for my truck.

Well, for starters, Slee's kids won't get that pony. Also, you might get laughed at....at least, until you make it up the trail. Then who's laughing?

People venture out in stock cars and trucks all the time without more forethought than some gas and a credit card.

There are people who've crossed the African continent with less than that. I always laugh when I think of the rough road we did in Baja a couple of years ago. 75 miles of the most beat up tracks I've ever dealt with. We were headed back through that same rough road to go home, not looking forward to it, glad to have the right equipment for the job, when we see a young couple in a Nissan Sentra tooling down the rough road, couple of backpacks bouncing around in the back seat, smiles on their faces. I felt like such a pussy. I promised never to worry about the amount of equipment I took again. You make do with what you have, and that's that.

Joey was obviously well prepared for the type of trail he was going on, and when he managed to get himself into a situation that required some work to get out of, he did a good job with what he had on hand (since he was prepared). There is always room for improvement and this forum is one good source of tips & tricks, so lets try and provide more pointers and less trash talk.

If you can extract yourself before having to make excuses to work or loved ones, with little to no damage to the vehicle, and no one gets hurt, you're adequately prepared. Winches and lockers are gravy. Tom Sheppard doesn't have a winch. I don't have a winch. I do have a ******* shovel, though...

...driving past a road closure sign on an unmaintained road doesn't register very high on the scale of 4wheeler atrocities.

Everything is a ******* atrocity these days. Don't forget that.

I don't necessarily disagree with the above comments. While I do think it is important to have as much of the necessary gear as possible when going off pavement, of course no one truly has a spare part for everything that could possibly break. I don't have a winch on my truck but I try to go with people who do even on mild trails, cuz you just never know.

My point about being unprepared was based on the OP comments about the fact that it was "dumb" to not have a shovel (no brainer if you're going to be in the snow) not having a tire patch kit etc. etc etc. Yes he made it out just fine. But just because you made it out doesn't mean you were prepared.

Aftermarket bumpers, winches, lockers and huge tires are obviously not requirements for going off-road. But using good judgement about the equipment you do have and knowing it's up to snuff for the terrain you will be covering is just common sense. Everyone has a shovel. My comment about forethought was directed at that. Note to self..........when wheeling in snow, take a shovel.:rolleyes:

It's also clear that the OP learned some lessons from this trip. That's good and how it should be. I'm not trying to tear into him because we all live and learn, but as a discussion to assist others pointing out apparent problems will hopefully help others think about things before heading out.

Cheers.

Guys the title pretty much states, "...THINGS I LEARNED".

The entire trip was about learning and also teaching. I'm happy I have the opportunity to show others what to do and more importantly what NOT to do.

If I didn't think there was any valuable information here I wouldn't have posted. i KNOW there are some people reading who are thinking to themselves, "shoot I better get a freaking shovel...but I'm not going to post because why should 'I' look like the idiot". :flipoff2:

You know who you are ;)

As far as the road closure, I personally wouldn't have driven past the sign, but it appears (afterwards) that it was legal to do so. I agree that the image of off-roaders needs to improve, but driving past a road closure sign on an unmaintained road doesn't register very high on the scale of 4wheeler atrocities.

Joey, I'd still going wheeling with you (if I ever ended up in Cali) :cheers:

Legal if you ask nicely :D

You may get the chance, I am actually thinking about doing a Canada excursion this summer. We'll see :cheers:

If all goes according to plan this summer, I'll meet you in BC or the Yukon!

I agree its nice to have a jack, a tow strap, extra gas, gps ,phone ,spar tire, water food, and on and on of things. But you dont need em 90% of places you go.
I also don't think it was any big deal going around a sign because of a few inch's of snow. It would been different if there was some type of disaster where you could impede rescue workers or the road was washed out. It was just snow.

As for having to be fully equiped to do some local off roading is BS .

I gone off roading with only me and my GF nothing elese . If I plan a trip farther away from roads and people I bring more things.

You need to try some not equiped off roading in a toyata camery.
No winch No jack No spair tire No tow rope No extra gas No gun Only freinds and beer and a old car. We went 17 or so miles up the most beat up rock coverd steep road in Cambodia . More then once we had to lift the car over bolders and had a short river crossing water over the hood.
I never once thought we would die and not come back alive .
2hprvih.jpg

ITEMS I ORDERED LAST NIGHT-
• ARB E-Z Tire Deflator ($39.00 Expedition Exchange)
• Benchmade Carry Clip ($15.00 Expedition Exchange)
• Mini Quick Fist ($8.00 set of 4, Expedition Exchange)
• Quick Fist medium ($10.00 Expedition Exchange)
• Quick Fist Super ($10.00 Expedition Exchange)
• Land Rover Steel Wheel Chocks ($10.00 each Expedition Exchange)
• Super Siphon ($9.00 Expedition Exchange)
• Swiss Spice Shaker ($14.00 Expedition Exchange)
• Collapsible Shovel ($49.00 Black Diamond)

So I got all this stuff in today. Expedition Exchange is a pretty cool place even though they cater to Range Rovers :rolleyes:

I sooo recommend the ARB deflator. Damn that thing is cool. I also recommend the rover wheel chocks. They fold down to about the size of a pack of cards. The carry clip is for my Benchmade seat belt cutter/window breaker. Its going to be mounted up high in the cab. The Swiss Spice Shaker is freaking neat. Really small and squared off. I ordered two more.

I also bought a $10 shovel at Home Depot!!!!! So that will have a home in the truck now.

Legal if you ask nicely :D
:

Or, illegal if you got caught; dangerous if you could not get out. :D

Seriously, Joey, What's important is that you learned something from the trip. That's what matters even though it might not be viewed the same by the others. Personally, I find it hard enough just to keep my truck running smoothly on the pave road. But IMO, that is why this board is so addicting (at least to me) - there is always something that I couldn't or wouldn't do.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom