Grinding into reverse... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1984 FJ-60, has started grinding going into reverse. Not just a little bit, more like you forgot to use the clutch. Forward gears aren't grinding any more than they were before, but are becoming stiffer and stiffer.

My first thought is clutch cylinders, is that a good place to start? Or??

Edit: After reading more search threads, it grinds going into gear, but once it's in gear it's fine.

Last edited:
Its always best to start looking at the easy stuff then work your way up from there. I'd start at the clutch slave cylinder and go from there.

The clutch isn't disengaging completely. One thing you might not think of is if you have a coolant leak - anti-freeze gets gummy on a clutch face.

The clutch isn't disengaging completely. One thing you might not think of is if you have a coolant leak - anti-freeze gets gummy on a clutch face.

Hmmm, ok. So just to clarify, an external coolant leak? And it would drip down onto the bell housing and into the clutch? Or do you mean an internal leak like a head gasket or cracked block?

i had similar issues w/ all gears - but R was worst. Pumping helped a lot (like 10-15 pumps) and i could feel the pressure build up. w/o pumping the clutch engaged about 1" (or less) off of the floor. w/ pumping it was 2-3" off floor and i could get into gear way easier.

Fix was new Master and slave.

try seeing if pumping helps. also - check the fluid level on the master.

GL!

rob

i had similar issues w/ all gears - but R was worst. Pumping helped a lot (like 10-15 pumps) and i could feel the pressure build up. w/o pumping the clutch engaged about 1" (or less) off of the floor. w/ pumping it was 2-3" off floor and i could get into gear way easier.

Fix was new Master and slave.

try seeing if pumping helps. also - check the fluid level on the master.

GL!

rob

Checked my fluid levels and the master was at minimum, so I took a little trip to Vatozone for some DOT3. I tried the pumping thing on the way, and it helped big time, but only for a few shifts at a time. I hadn't realized how low to the floor the catch point had gotten until I had something to compare to. Topping off the cylinder reservoir made it worse not better, and in a twisted way that makes sense in my head.

So, now the question is, clutch cylinders, OEM from the dealer, or ok from Vatozone?

**Going to search for FSM here on the Mud...links appreciated.

1984 FJ-60, has started grinding going into reverse. Not just a little bit, more like you forgot to use the clutch. Forward gears aren't grinding any more than they were before, but are becoming stiffer and stiffer.

I have a similar problem... mine grinds after the engine has gotten hot. If I drive to the store, turn it off, restart and try to put in reverse, it grinds like crazy. Also, shifting gears gets stiffer after engine warms up. Slave and clutch MC were replaced with oem (CDan) parts about a year ago. All other clutch parts, along with a new H55 were also replaced about a year ago.

Checked my fluid levels and the master was at minimum, so I took a little trip to Vatozone for some DOT3. I tried the pumping thing on the way, and it helped big time, but only for a few shifts at a time. I hadn't realized how low to the floor the catch point had gotten until I had something to compare to. Topping off the cylinder reservoir made it worse not better, and in a twisted way that makes sense in my head.

So, now the question is, clutch cylinders, OEM from the dealer, or ok from Vatozone?

**Going to search for FSM here on the Mud...links appreciated.

Awesome! So temp fix is the whole pump shift, pump shift, etc.

I got mine done when i had the h55 swapped in. Minimal cost from auto wharehouse. Aisin/OEM brand w/o Aisin name. I think it was around 80-100$ for both. Seemed reasonable. If i need to i can ping him and see parts #'s. I may have it in email too.

You can also do a quick search for master cylinder - i bet it will return tons of hits - this is pretty common. I remember several ones that are new (avoid rebuilds) and blue. I know - colors! (yay!) mine's black luckily.

Good luck and let us know what you find/do to fix it.

rob

here's a thread w/ link to JT outfitters w/ both master and slave - about 80$.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/266346-master-clutch-5-85-part-correct.html

I know you can get this from a local warehouse place, but don't have specifics on that to help.

you can weigh convenience + tax vs. time + shipping.

GL!

rob

Vatozone had Luk brand, and yes, they're the pretty, pretty blue.:eek: They had the MC in stock but the slave was a special order item, so I just ordered them myself from the Autozone website. I spent $88.54, with free UPS ground shipping. I've had good luck with Luk clutches, hopefully their hydraulics are the same value buy. Briefly looked at the dealership, and they were about $200 for both.

Thanks for the help everyone. Hope this fixes it, I'll update.

That's pretty far-fetched :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom