D300 thrust washer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
GONE - well, the backside one is....

cracked my D300 along with some other minor stuff, and am getting ready to move the guts into a new case....running 4:1 Lomax gears, 32-spline AA rear output, 32-spline front output....

the backside thrust washer for the intermediate shaft is GONE...like, pieces scattered throughout the oil, completely worn away....can't come up with any reason for it...same issue was 'showing' when I had the case out in Oct, but the washer was only worn then, not completely gone...

thots? hate to toss everything into a 'new' case only to have this washer disintegrate again for something I did incorrectly....

TIA...

Where was the crack located in the case?

Do you have any pictures of this?

crack is around the upper two holes for the rear output cone...

if it was there when the case was out in Oct, I'd be SHOCKED if it wasn't discovered...everything on the case was torn down...there were metal shavings in the oil, but at that time the thrust washer was barely worn so it wasn't noticed as the culprit

believe I'm just gonna reassemble this morning and plan to fill with synthetic and see what happens...

still waiting on 700 parts anyways....
100_0159.jpg
100_0160.jpg
100_0161.jpg

I would be willing to bet 100% that, that happened when the front broke. It only makes sense. the pivot point of the guts inside would put alot of pressure on the back top of the case.

Cam

explains the cracked case

doesn't explain the thrust washer being eaten up....that didn't happen between breaking the rig and loading it on the trailer under winch power

Unless something was out of alignment.

Were all of the bolts tight? I just wonder if an angular stress on the shafts would cause enough pressure to eat through the thrust washer..

Any odd wear on the gears at all?

all clean...internals look new, other than that thrust washer eaten up....all bolts tight, other than what popped loose in the cracked area....

replacement D300 case is soaking in the kitchen sink now...reassembly early aft....

replacement D300 case is soaking in the kitchen sink now...reassembly early aft....

You should NOT have said that!!!

:doh:
:bang:

such it is with this whole project....

STAK replace-a-case possible, checking on delivery....

KOH is out.

KOH is out.

DOH :frown: Im trying to get some buddies together to Head down to watch..

Those Stack's are badass.. Sorry to here about this carnage.. Time for the buggy build yet?

past time for the buggy build....need the pocketbook to comply tho....

Sorry for the thread hijack but I had to post this....last night I changed the input on my D300 (4:1, HD outs) from the stock 23 spline to Novak's 27 spline to mate with my 700r4. I finished up and came inside and was reading/researching a little bit and came across this thread. It got me to thinking about my thrust washers when I put the intermediate/idler gear back in and I started to wonder about my two thrust washers cause I hadn't double checked that they were aligned properly. So it bugged me so much that this morning I popped the inspection cover back off just to make sure and guess what? One of the thrust washers was sitting at the bottom of the case :hmm: So I redid it and just wanted to thank Woody for saving my t-case by this post
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom