3VZ-E tune-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have never done a tune-up on my truck before. Its been at least 35k to 50k since it has had one, maybe more, so it needs to be done. I have found myself with a little extra time and not lots of money so I would like to do it myself instead of forking over the extra money to a mechanic.

I have done quite a bit of mechanical work on my FJ40 with friends' help as well as some parts replacing on newer vehicles. So I am pretty confident in my ability to do this. But I also want to do it right.

My truck is a '95 in good condition and it runs well but I have noticed a slight drop in fuel economy as well as the number of miles since the last tune-up. So what I am wanting is some advice on what to do and what parts I should check and or replace. I have a K&N filter I will clean and I know I need new plugs and I already got new wires. What about cap, rotor, and coil? Is that fuel injector cleaner you put in your gas any good? Is there any tips or anything else I should do or know?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.:)

I have never done a tune-up on my truck before. Its been at least 35k to 50k since it has had one, maybe more, so it needs to be done. I have found myself with a little extra time and not lots of money so I would like to do it myself instead of forking over the extra money to a mechanic.

I have done quite a bit of mechanical work on my FJ40 with friends' help as well as some parts replacing on newer vehicles. So I am pretty confident in my ability to do this. But I also want to do it right.

My truck is a '95 in good condition and it runs well but I have noticed a slight drop in fuel economy as well as the number of miles since the last tune-up. So what I am wanting is some advice on what to do and what parts I should check and or replace. I have a K&N filter I will clean and I know I need new plugs and I already got new wires. What about cap, rotor, and coil? Is that fuel injector cleaner you put in your gas any good? Is there any tips or anything else I should do or know?

I would get sparks, cap and rotor..... all from the dealership.
OEM is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned for these parts.

What brand of wires did you get? FWIW I also prefer OEM for wires too.

I personally don't like K&N filters but a good cleaning could not hurt.

Anytime I do a tune up I like to clean out the throttle body with intake cleaner and a toothbrush, check the throttle cable adjustment. I also grab a can of Seafoam and run it through the fuel tank every 15-20 fuel ups.

https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html
is out of Washington and you can get OEM parts at a discount, delivered to your door.

I got top of the line plug wires from NAPA.
Should I replace the fuel filter?

Plugs, wires, cap and rotor are a good start. Napa usually carries OEM parts in a Beck Arnley box, though OEM is always a good bet, plus, I've noticed that the aftermarket parts houses aren't much cheaper than the dealership anymore.

If you can take the truck down for a few days, Consider pulling the injectors and having them cleaned out by a shop like WitchHunter performance. MUCH better than running an in the tank fuel injector cleaner. Adjust the Throttle position sensor and check the O2 sensor. All of these will affect fuel economy.

When was the last time the wheel bearings were repacked? Have you done it?
Do you have the service manual?

There is 171,000 on the truck. The motor was rebuilt by a Toyota dealer at 97,000. I have never repacked the wheel bearings. I bought the truck just after the rebuild at 97,300. What do you mean by adjust the throttle position sensor and where is it? Where is the fuel filter?
I don't have service manual. Should I get one? Which one should I get? Haynes, Chilton, or factory?

Oh, I forgot to mention I jut had the timing belt and water pump replaced maybe 500 miles ago. So I shouldn't need to worry about if the timing is right should I?

I do have the Toyota truck Bible but it is more basic idea and education. Not so much how to. I did read the entire section on tune-ups.

Ok, do I just use a regular timing light for that and if it is off how do I adjust it?
Maybe all this stuff would be in a repair manual.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ok, do I just use a regular timing light for that and if it is off how do I adjust it?
Maybe all this stuff would be in a repair manual.

Thanks for the help guys!

Use a regular timing light, but you have to jumper one of the connectors in the jumper block under the hood to stop the ecu from adjusting the timing.

THe best manual is the factory manual.

Procedure for adjusting the TPS, checking the O2 sensor and f
uel filter location is all within.

I talked to a parts guy at the Toyota dealer. He told me there are several factory service manuals and they cost $70 to $80 each.
He also said there are 4 O2 sensors that cost a couple hundred dollars and I shouldn't need to replace them unless I have had a check engine light come on. Does he know what he is talking about?

He also told me that the shop has a top end and fuel injector cleaning service for $100. Is that going to be worth it? Can I do as good a job myself?

There is only one Factory Service Manual to my knowledge and, depending on year and model, maybe a supplementary Electrical Wiring Diagram manual. For example, both are included in my 1985 FSM but I had to buy the two seperately for my 1997 LC. For what it's worth, the 1997 manual was about $80 from Toyota and the wiring manual was about $20. The FSM for the 85 was only available used (ebay) and I bought one just like new for about $70.

I have a K&N filter I will clean and I know I need new plugs and I already got new wires. What about cap, rotor, and coil? Is that fuel injector cleaner you put in your gas any good? Is there any tips or anything else I should do or know?

80s tech has a problem with K&N filters, so I'd watch the intentions of who told me there was problem with them. I have experience with one in a 22RE that was great. A VERY clear, discernable difference. I'm thinking the type of FI is what makes the results mixed on using that filter.

I would get sparks, cap and rotor..... all from the dealership.
OEM is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned for these parts.

Agree. I believe theses 3.0s were built to high standards. If you get AM (Aftermarket), make sure you get the best AM you can buy...then I'd would compare the two. I bet you'll see a difference. The wires themselves are very small and silver in color. I'm sure it's for high output/ low resistance...which could be key to that motor. I don't think Toyota would have put them on otherwise.

Should I replace the fuel filter?

I would. If memory serves me correct, I think it's easy on a 3.0. Be glad you don't have a 22RE.

Oh, I forgot to mention I jut had the timing belt and water pump replaced maybe 500 miles ago. So I shouldn't need to worry about if the timing is right should I?

Just like Tigerstripe said. But I want to stress that when you do time it, you do it PER FSM.

I do have the Toyota truck Bible but it is more basic idea and education.

I found that book useless.

I talked to a parts guy at the Toyota dealer. He told me there are several factory service manuals and they cost $70 to $80 each.

Free in the FAQ section. I DL'd mine to my documents and only print out the pages I need, when I need them. Less cluttering to me...

Saves me from buying the book,,,and trying to keep it clean.

TMan, get ready to grit your teeth when you go to change the #5 spark plug. Just make sure you don't cross thread it.

I'd also look into a remote oil filter and a trans cooler (if you've got an AT). Also, depending on what type of person you are and what you want out of your truck, I'd look into what headers do for that motor.

Last edited:
I have decided to change my own oil in my truck now that I have more time and save the money.
So I went and bought a Haynes repair manual and I can't even find how much oil to put in my truck.
I know this information would be in my owner's manual but I can't seem to find it. I don't ever recall taking it out of the glove box but its not in there.

Haynes despair manual

I found that book useless. :D

It's like 5.5 or something...

Been a while since I did a 3.0h

I fill the oil to the full mark on the dipstick, then pull the coil wire while I turn the engine over and watch the O.P gauge/ light until it goes out. I never rely on it, "being ok until it's primed" like the book says. I make SURE it's primed, then add the additional.

Your fuel filter is wedged between the passenger side T-bar hardware and the frame. It is no fun to change, also there is a "sock" filter in the tank itself. I'd put them off unless problems point to those areas. Nothing wrong with changing them to error on the side of caution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom