Oem capstan winch in J4/J5 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Boys,

I'm Markus from Germany and owner of several BJ45 and one FJ55 which I'm currently about to restore.

Today I got a PTO - driven capstan winch on Ebay - which, according to its owner was home - made:

1865668.jpg

(Shafts - which are not in the picture - come with the winch)

As a Landcruiser - maniac for more than two decades I've never heard of such a thing on a J4.

But to my surprise this afternoon I found a few lines of the great Willem Jan Markerink telling that there should have been one by Toyota. He says that they had been mounted on the right frame rail - just like the one on Ebay.

I'd be very pleased if you had any further piece of information.

Just in case - here a working capstan winch (or 'spill' ) in a Landrover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9hQYn7EF3c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6pClC1cgRg

thank you very much in advance

Markus

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Willem Jan was so kind to send me a picture of the Toyota OEM Capstan winch:

1870649.jpg

As soon as I receive the one from Ebay I'll take some detailed pictures of mine.

bye

Markus

Yep. Cool!

Very cool. Makes me want one for mine now damnit! I enjoyed the Rover videos interesting way of winching, much like winches on boats. I've never seen a oem toyota winch like shown above with cable and capstan drum together on the same unit. Very neat.

I think these are cool for the novelty, but why someone would want to have to stand right next to the winch cable and tug on the free end is beyond me. I don't like cables under tension at knee-level, I'm picky like that.

:confused:

Well, you do have a cleaner looking front end, you are not limited on cable/rope length and the winch never gets beyond one wrap of cable on the drum so it always has full power. ;)

Other than that I agree! :D

I think these are cool for the novelty, but why someone would want to have to stand right next to the winch cable and tug on the free end is beyond me. I don't like cables under tension at knee-level, I'm picky like that.

:confused:

X2 on standing next to it, particularly with a modern rope, I suppose with the older type ropes were heavier, broke earlier and wouldn't whip as much.

You could put some eyes on the fender to carry the rope around and into the cab so the passanger could look after the slack?

I think the LR winch operated with a dog directly of the crank pulley, they had a hand crank the same as some 2F's but that wouldn't be any good to take drive off as it rejects the starting handle when the crank is spinning faster than the handle.

EDIT: Also means you have to operate that lever on the winch to engage / disengage drive.

ec_1_sbl.JPG

This rope is on ebay in the UK and states breaking strain of 3250KG when new so only good for something like 1500KG, 3000 lbs?

The third picture in Post 6 resembles MarkusZ picture in post #2 here. Resembles meaning it has the lever on the side of the opposite the gearbox.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-classifieds-corner/252932-1971-fj55-w-pto-winch.html

Was the capstain drum an accessorie for the standard PTO winch?

If Toyota did a captain drum on a PTO winch I doubt if was ever available as a option. The second brace that next to the drum is the same as the other one. There's no need for the extra piece welded on. If Totoa did this it was probably a one or two off that they tried and then dropped the idea. Just like the FUll time 4WD they tried with the 76 FJ40.

That FJ55 PTO winch just looks like it has a couple little plates with hole welded to the front other than that nothing looks special for an FJ55 PTO winch. If I ever thought I would have time to restore a FJ55 that one doen't look to bad. With an FJ55 it's about the rust and this one looks to have very little:cheers:

Hi Folks,

Willem Jan was so kind to send me a picture of the Toyota OEM Capstan winch:

1870649.jpg

As soon as I receive the one from Ebay I'll take some detailed pictures of mine.

bye

Markus

Would be kind of cool for light duty stuff if there was a way of operating the outer drum while the inner drum stayed stationary. Don't see that happening in the picture shown though:meh:.

[
quote=MarkusZ;4161924]Hi Boys,

I'm Markus from Germany and owner of several BJ45 and one FJ55 which I'm currently about to restore.

Today I got a PTO - driven capstan winch on Ebay - which, according to its owner was home - made:

1865668.jpg

(Shafts - which are not in the picture - come with the winch)

As a Landcruiser - maniac for more than two decades I've never heard of such a thing on a J4.

But to my surprise this afternoon I found a few lines of the great Willem Jan Markerink telling that there should have been one by Toyota. He says that they had been mounted on the right frame rail - just like the one on Ebay.

I'd be very pleased if you had any further piece of information.

Just in case - here a working capstan winch (or 'spill' ) in a Landrover:

YouTube - Fairey Capstan Mechanical Winch
YouTube - Severn valley leafers fun day Gregg axle deep

thank you very much in advance

Markus
[/QUOTE]

Looks like a mechanical version of a "Hickey Sidewinder".

it is.

but not without engaging the inner drum also.

I'm saying that it would be better if they could be operated independently

This set would work fine. Capstain drum would turn anytime the PTO is engaged. Wouldn't hurt anything if there's no rope around it. The winch spool only turns when engaged with the lever. So they could each be worked independently. The capstain drum is mounted to the end of the main shaft of the winch that turns all the time. that lever engages and disengages the spool so it can be free wheel out. So if you disengage it you can use the capstain by itself or use the winch and with nothing around the captain drum it not going to be doing anything except turning around.

Last edited:
I have searched posts and threads. I think one of the guys listed below scanned and posted up an old accessories sheet. On the sheet was a PTO winch, sidewinder (Hickey) winch, seat belts and some other things that could be ordered on the FJ 40's back in the day.

Living in the Past
Cruiser Nerd
Information Junky
LandPimp
Coolerman

I searched the birfield site as well as mud and could not find the post. I'm thinking the Capstain was one of the accessories, but I may be wrong.

This set would work fine. Capstain drum would turn anytime the PTO is engaged. Wouldn't hurt anything if there's no rope around it. The winch spool only turns when engaged with the lever. So they could each be worked independently. The capstain drum is mounted to the end of the main shaft of the winch that turns all the time. that lever engages and disengages the spool so it can be free wheel out. So if you disengage it you can use the capstain by itself or use the winch and with nothing around the captain drum it not going to be doing anything except turning around.

I must be missing something here:bang:.

This is operating procedure for a capstan winch, "A capstan winch is operated by taking a couple of turns around the capstan with the winch cable, and setting the capstan turning continuously. By varying the amount of tension on the tail of the rope, frictional forces can be controlled quite easily to generate the desired pull", I have actually operated one of these and what I'm saying is, what the hell are you going to do with the "inner/drum" and lead while the capstan is running continuously?

The only way I see operating the capstan on this unit would be without a line/lead on the drum, in which case you might as well just use the inner drum like you would a Capstan.

Either this unit had a unique application or it simple did not work, leaving me to conclude "this is why you don't see this set-ups".

Last edited:
I must be missing something here:bang:.

This is operating procedure for a capstan winch, "A capstan winch is operated by taking a couple of turns around the capstan with the winch cable, and setting the capstan turning continuously. By varying the amount of tension on the tail of the rope, frictional forces can be controlled quite easily to generate the desired pull", I have actually operated one of these and what I'm saying is, what the hell are you going to do with the "inner/drum" and lead while the capstan is running continuously?

The only way I see operating the capstan on this unit would be without a line/lead on the drum, in which case you might as well just use the inner drum like you would a Capstan.

Either this unit had a unique application or it simple did not work, leaving me to conclude "this is why you don't see this set-ups".

I failed to recognize the shaft and the capstan drum operate continually whlie the PTO is engaged, while the inner drum is controlled by the lever.:confused:

Those helmet-less injuries are beginning to catch up with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom