Brake pedal adjustment? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm buying Campoj2's 94 FZJ80, we met up this past Saturday and while driving it I noticed there is a lot of freeplay in the brake pedal (2 or 3 inches). Once the pedal "grabs" the brakes feel normal and work fine with no fade or anything.

Can you adjust the rod under the dash to take up freeplay in the pedal??
How about in between the master and the booster??

If no, anyone have any idea why there is so much freeplay in the pedal?

Thanks for any help.
Aaron

24 hours, 43 veiws.............I guess this is either a really stupid question or no one knows. :meh:

I was able to get to my 91 a little bit ago and look under the dash. It looks like there is some adjustment under there. Doesn't look like enough to take-up a couple inches though. :confused:

Yes, you can adjust the pedal, at least true for 96 (on page BR-4 in FSM, sorry no scanner). You might want to consider to get the FSM if you have not got one yet... Good luck.

Here are the steps in 96 FSM (not sure whether you can make any sense without the diagram):

2. IF NECESSARY, ADJUST PEDAL HEIGHT
(a) Disconnect the connector from the stop light switch.
(b) Loosen the stop light switch lock nut and remove the stop light switch.
(c) Loosen the push rod lock nut.
(d) Adjust the pedal height by turning the pedal push rod
(e) Tighten the push rod lock nut.
torque: 25 N.m (260 kgf.cm, 19 ft.lbf)
(f) Install the stop light switch and turn it until it lightly contacts the pedal stopper.
(g) Turn the stop light switch back one turn.
(h) Check clearance (A) between the stop light switch and pedal.
Clearance:
0.5-2.4 mm (0.02-0.09in)

(i) Tighten the stop light switch lock nut.
(j) Connect the connector to the stop light switch.
(k) Check the stop lights come on when the brake pedal is depressed, and go off when the brake pedal is released.
(l) After adjusting the pedal height, check the pedal freeplay.
HINT: If clearance (A) between the stop light switch and the brake pedal stopper has been adjusted correctly, the pedal freeplay will meet the specifications.

3. CHECK PEDAL FREEPLAY
(a) Stop the engine and depress the brake pedal several times until there is no more vacuum left in the booster.
(b) Push in the pedal by hand until the beginning of the resistance is felt, then measure the distance, as shown
Pedal freeplay:
3-6mm (0.12-0.24in.)

HINT: The freeplay to the 1st point of resistance is due to the play between the clevis and pin. It is 3-6mm (0.12-0.24in) on the pedal.
If incorrect, check the stop light switch clearance. If the clearance is OK, then troubleshoot the brake system.

Last edited:
are you sure its free play and not soft/spongy brakes?

WXM,
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Campo is giving me the FSM's with the truck.

xingji,
It felt like free play to me.

Campo thought the brakes felt funny too and took it to his mechanic to have it looked at.
I'm hopefully getting the truck this weekend, I was just looking for opinions incase his mechanic can't figure it out.

I actually have something similar to what you described.

Please keep posting, I'd love to read the outcome.

I actually have something similar to what you described.

Please keep posting, I'd love to read the outcome.

I'll keep ya posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom