Lynx Gulch day run and things I learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLX -

Not busting your balls here...but, it appears that in one of the pictures someone is really putting themselves in danger in the manner they are using the Hi-lift. It looks like someone is using their weight to press the Hi-lift down with their body and arms between the arm and the body. The picture could be deceiving but, it looks like a pretty dangerous maneuver. There are some good "proper use of Hi-lift" threads out there and one of the main things is always keeping body and arms clear from being in the middle of the arm and body of the Hi-lift. Anyway, if the picture is deceiving...my apologies. I've just witnessed a few people get some pretty serious injuries from using a Hi-lift incorrectly...when of course...they "knew what they were doing".

Cheers.

- Mark
DSC_5164.sized.jpg

Not for the passengers in the back. This road is the only one I ever remember getting car sick in and throwing up. I think I was like 14. And actually now that the 210 connects direct to the 15 is MUUUUCH easier just doing that.

I found it easier going up the 14 to the 138 and cutting over to where the 2 ends on the other side.

Not busting your balls here...but, it appears that in one of the pictures someone is really putting themselves in danger in the manner they are using the Hi-lift. It looks like someone is using their weight to press the Hi-lift down with their body and arms between the arm and the body. The picture could be deceiving but, it looks like a pretty dangerous maneuver. There are some good "proper use of Hi-lift" threads out there and one of the main things is always keeping body and arms clear from being in the middle of the arm and body of the Hi-lift. Anyway, if the picture is deceiving...my apologies. I've just witnessed a few people get some pretty serious injuries from using a Hi-lift incorrectly...when of course...they "knew what they were doing".

Oh bust away, these are the kinds of things that people need to know. No one other than myself had ever used one before and even I have only used it about 4 times in my life so I'm expert. That being said, yes that IS me and no I was being pretty careful about my body/head placement in line with the lift hand and body. Now of course that doesn't mean that during the 4 times I slipped that I didn't in fact move my body in the "plane of death and dismemberment" but I tried hard not to.

I will also admit to showing my wife how NOT to do it since she was basically balancing on it to get it to go down when we were on flat ground with the 470.

My folks moved to some hell hole called Kernersville in NC.

eh-hem :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

and i wasted the last ten minutes seein why a half day old thread is 4 pages long :rolleyes:
at least the wifey was pretty cute :D

If you haven't already, pick up Bill Burke's DVD "Getting UNstuck". Lots of awesome recovery info played out before your eyes.

"Au contraire mon frere, I have two shovels!"

No worries...I just figured with that IPOR bumper tire carrier sitting there like a spiked target for someone to get thrown into from the Hi-lift, I would mention it. Anyway, good to know you are up on your Hi-lift technique...those bad boys are great devices...but, they can put you into a world of hurt pretty quickly.

- Mark

It was still closed. Trail / Road does not matter to those the close them, or the people that see 4wheelers go past a Road Close sign. Sorry, but it is bad judgment. Check some land use forums and see if they would condone this.

Waaaaa Waaaa Waaaa!!!! I lived in Ca and they close roads if it has a 1/2" of snow.
I see no harm in what they did. They was going to a trail head to exit to a other not closed road.

California has closed 90% of all good places to go off roading permanently.

Any way most people in California are to stupid to drive in snow or ice .
I'm bet the people who saw them go by the sign did not think OH look at them horrible off roaders 4wheelers going to go tear up protected land and going run over some endangered species!!
I sure they was thinking why dident we buy a land cruiser!

The discussion is good and it was said, we all learned from. Now I'm glad that the topic of discussion is on the technical learning of the thread.

Speaking of technical questions...... How the hell do you keep a hot wife like that for 17 years.. :flipoff2:.... just kidding.. been married for 20 years and she is only 35,,,lol....

Great write up... I think I have mountain biked in that area when I lived in So Cal.

I just read ALL the threads and man. you screwed up ...
1) you screwed up going past the Road closed sign
2) Mounted your hi-lift wrong
3) used the Hi-Lift incorrectly
4) didn't have a shovel
5) didn't have a winch

It seems the only thing you can do correctly is marry a cute girl!! :flipoff2:.

Actually learned some good things from your :deadhorse:
Thanks for taking the punishment!

Waaaaa Waaaa Waaaa!!!! I lived in Ca and they close roads if it has a 1/2" of snow.
I see no harm in what they did. They was going to a trail head to exit to a other not closed road.

California has closed 90% of all good places to go off roading permanently.

Any way most people in California are to stupid to drive in snow or ice .
I'm bet the people who saw them go by the sign did not think OH look at them horrible off roaders 4wheelers going to go tear up protected land and going run over some endangered species!!
I sure they was thinking why dident we buy a land cruiser!

I disagree with 100% of everything you said here. It is because of us that roads and trails are getting closed and the rate of closing is happening faster and faster.

It is because of disregard for other people that 4 wheelers get such a bad rap.

It is because some in our community fail to follow simple rules of respect and understanding the needs of others.

When you have no roads to ride on in CA, when the Rubicon is closed, or when the Dusy is closed, I will be happy to blame it on folks like you.

and i wasted the last ten minutes seein why a half day old thread is 4 pages long :rolleyes:
at least the wifey was pretty cute :D

Its 4 pages because people want to bitch when I'm trying to relate my experience of a trail run in an 80 series. Getting stuck, how I technically bailed myself out and I, and others, can make sure it doesn't happen again.

The wife is just a bonus :flipoff2:

Oh and I'd rather stare at her plumber's crack than yours any day :lol:

No worries...I just figured with that IPOR bumper tire carrier sitting there like a spiked target for someone to get thrown into from the Hi-lift, I would mention it. Anyway, good to know you are up on your Hi-lift technique...those bad boys are great devices...but, they can put you into a world of hurt pretty quickly.

Well techically speaking the IPORs do NOT come the way you are seeing. The tire is actually further out which would have given me easier access to the Hi-Lift which meant I wouldn't have needed to remove the tire. So when the jack does flip your ass up the tire would be softer landing. Relatively speaking of course. :lol:

I just read ALL the threads and man. you screwed up ...
1) you screwed up going past the Road closed sign
2) Mounted your hi-lift wrong
3) used the Hi-Lift incorrectly
4) didn't have a shovel
5) didn't have a winch

How did I mount the lift wrong?
How did I use in incorrectly?
True...I should have had a shovel, I accept blame on this.
So what if I don't have a winch. That shouldn't preclude me from off-roading.

How did I mount the lift wrong?
How did I use in incorrectly?
True...I should have had a shovel, I accept blame on this.
So what if I don't have a winch. That shouldn't preclude me from off-roading.

ooopsss my bad... You took that as me being serious... I was trying to be funny... I guess I forgot the :flipoff2:.

NLXTACY -

I would much rather be thrown into a tire than 3 bolts...relatively speaking of course.

Cheers.

- Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom