First Crate Has Arrived (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have list my 2nd BJ70 as a project for some time. When I bought my gray BJ70, the 2nd BJ70 came as a parts trucks. A complete running and titled parts truck that was very rusty and rough. Rather than just pull parts, I wanted to get this 70 back in good shape and on the road. Long story short, I purchased enough parts from a JDM truck being parted out in Japan to rebuild her. The first crate of arrived today containing the 13B-T driveline and axles.

Here is the BJ70 in need
BJ70inNeed.jpg

Here are some pictures

The crate without the wood shell
Front.jpg
LeftSide.jpg
Back.jpg

More pictures of the contents

The close up showing 13B-T brought a smile to my face.

PS The arrival timing of the crates was a big reason Carolyn was rigid about the costs if I attended the Utah or Texas events. The customs, brokers, warehouse, misc shipping costs, ... added up quick and is hammering the checking account which shows she was right and I was dreaming too big.
RightSide.jpg
ValveCover.jpg
13BTcloseup.jpg

Trusty Friend

This is sort off topic ... while I was taking pictures of the crate, I took one of my red '81 FJ40. She has not been on a trail ride in the last few years, but she is taking a rest in the shop waiting her turn for attention, but ready when needed too.
81FJ40.jpg

Holy s***, Larry!!! I will refrain from looking deep into your finances :lol:

That looks like a great project! Diesel Dog here on the board had his right hand drive 70 sent to him in pieces and assembled it for a perfect truck. Looks like you will have a bit more work but knowing what you can do i bet it will be a beaut!!!!

Now I know why you can't afford to go to Moab with us.:)

Congrats bud......:clap:

Now when you put a full time mechanic on the PAY ROLL...... I'm available:D

Looks great! I'm jealous...

Thanks all. I certainly am appreciating all support I can get right now.

Holy ****, Larry!!! I will refrain from looking deep into your finances :lol:

Now I know why you can't afford to go to Moab with us.:)

Chris / Roger,
Carolyn is looking at the costs very closely and she does not like any part of what she is seeing (i.e., she is absolutely ready to kill me right now, but will probably wait until I fix the 'mess' in the shop).

Congrats bud......:clap:

Now when you put a full time mechanic on the PAY ROLL...... I'm available:D

Brian,
What I need is to hire a painter and a mechanic, but that fantasy is not happening. What you may not know is that I have "twin" 1981 FJ40 to my red one that is completely disassembled and it is only lacking painting for re-assembly to start. This has me in bad case of project saturation.

Looks great! I'm jealous...

Everyone's jealousy may be adjusted by the problems.

First, the dollar has lost ~24% of its buying power since I committed to this; all the costs are in yen and these costs have not been changing, but it takes a lot more dollars. So all the costs I am incuring now are seriously over projection/over budget.

Second, I was scheduled to pick up two crates yesterday and only got one. My second crate was in Utah and the warehouse had an other crate for me with a Utah address which they wanted me to take. What a cluster ... It does not look like this will cost me extra other than another 75 mile round trip to the warehouse and a vacation day.

Third, when I did open my crate yesterday when I got home, I was discovered that the axles were wrong. Instead of axles with cable lockers & a full floater rear, the axles had open diffs and the rear was a semi-floater. Identical to what I already have under bothe of my BJ70s. I don't know how bad this will hurt yet, but I am sure that it will be painful.

Are you feeling better that you were not so foolish or as insane as me to venture down this path? I tried to explain this to Carolyn last night and it was just information overload so she ignored it. When she completes the processing, I may be sporting a black eye to match her mood.

There will be more to follow.

I am on a diet myself. Nothing else is permitted in the house that has an internal combustion engine. Although, I know someone who had been getting over by only buying vehicles that are the same color. This seems to throw the handbrake off the scent....at least temporarily! :lol:

If you need help with transport or wrenching let us know. I would be glad to donate a Saturday or Sunday to you.

wow, looks like fun Larry. what's the plans for the 2nd 70? another trail rig for you or a 16th bday present for your daughter?;)

on another note, thanks for the SC parts link, Mikesta hooked me up with an oil cooler no prob! i owe you a :beer:

Second, I was scheduled to pick up two crates yesterday and only got one. My second crate was in Utah and the warehouse had an other crate for me with a Utah address which they wanted me to take. What a cluster ... It does not look like this will cost me extra other than another 75 mile round trip to the warehouse and a vacation day.

We order all kinds of parts from China here at work. We never have problems getting the parts from China to the US. We always have problems getting parts from the US port to our front door. Between US customs and 2nd/3rd party trucking companies, stuff gets screwed up all the time and we run out of inventory:frown:. We never know where the crates are or can expect firm arrival dates. Sounds like a good place to start a business!

..., thanks for the SC parts link, Mikesta hooked me up with an oil cooler no prob! i owe you a :beer:
Glad to help.

We order all kinds of parts from China here at work. We never have problems getting the parts from China to the US. We always have problems getting parts from the US port to our front door. Between US customs and 2nd/3rd party trucking companies, stuff gets screwed up all the time and we run out of inventory:frown:. We never know where the crates are or can expect firm arrival dates. Sounds like a good place to start a business!

The 2nd crate is supposed to be in Atlanta by Tuesday, but I will be in Texas until very late Thursday. I guess I will have the 2nd step in this adventure when I get back.

The shipping company is amazing. I got a note from the guy in Japan today. The reps for the shipping company showed up at his door today demanding that he pay them $2000 to cover the cost of the screw up. The fact that each crate was labeled, in multiple locations, with correct destination & contact info did not matter to the shipping reps. The fact that the way bill included this info, plus the unique dimensions for each crate (and the crates were purpose built so they are not the same size) did not matter to the shipping reps. The shipping reps went back to their office after 90 minutes of their demand being disputed with hard documentation. I don't necessarily like to watch a 'fight' but there could have been some good moments to be a fly-on-the-wall watching this exchange.

I'm betting your engine hoist had fun with that crate. I know that was one heavy mother!
I see you also have the blue block...this is important when ordering parts. You will find that the alternator/vacuum pump splines are different and that the clutch and input shaft are different as well. Will you be converting to 12v as I did, or leaving it 24v?

I'm betting your engine hoist had fun with that crate. I know that was one heavy mother! ...

Due to reach, I only picked one side at a time so the hoist did not have a problem. At the warehouse, they centered the crate over the axles which left it too far onto the trailer to reach from the end. My way around that was to pick up one side and place round bar stock under the skid. Then I did the opposite side. Once ready, I rolled it a few inches at a time and stopping to reposition the 'rollers' from the back to the front. Once I was at the back of the trailer, I used the hoist to lift one end at a time onto a 6' by 10' dolly (remember the frame from the old rotissier?). Now I can move the whole crate around the shop on the dolly without any hassle and I have room on the dolly for more parts/crates.

... Will you be converting to 12v as I did, or leaving it 24v?

Both BJ70s are 1986 production so they are 24 volt; no conversion needed.
FYI, 1985 production of the BJ70 was the only year 12 volt models were imported to Canada.

Good...I have some 24V parts you should have then. If you have an extra front sway bar, I might be interested in that.

Last edited:
you going this way?
_slide_000_0073.jpg

you going this way?

Marius,
No I will be staying stock looking. The PTO winch will be noticable, but the rest will not. i.e., Solid daily driver with trail capability.

However, the picture you included is of a HJ/BJ73/74 series truck and that would be very nice (removable top with the extra body length that gives close to a foot of additional space behind the rear seat). The Canadians are so lucky to be able to import those trucks.

Picked Up 2nd Crate

The 2nd crate arrived at the Atlanta warehouse while I was in Texas this week, so it had to wait until after I got back Thursday night. I was able to pick Friday morning. But with the rain and needing get back to the office, unloading it from the trailer and opening it had to wait. Melissa and I were able to open it this morning due to the rain (the soccer tournament that she was to play in was canceled so we Land Cruiser Saturday instead).

Here are few shots of the crate
FrameCrate on Trailer.jpg
FrameCrate next to EngineCrate.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom