Lynx Gulch day run and things I learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And if we went the other way and came OUT that side and everyone saw us coming out of there what then? Are we also responsible for those people? Are we still breaking the law if we came OUT the way we came in?

YES! Think of it as appearances...

I wasn't there so no judgement from me. However, the way you wrote the initial post could be used as ammunition against our hobby.

Buck

I wasn't there so no judgement from me. However, the way you wrote the initial post could be used as ammunition against our hobby.

Buck

I am not saying you are breaking the law. This is all about perceptions. Chad also pointed that out. Bottom line is we have to be more careful that those that attack our sport.

This is the point I was trying to make. Again, I wasn't trying to judge you guys. I have been in situations like that before and I know I haven't always done what was best for perceptions. We just need to be more careful than ever!

Again, not trying to bust your balls on it. A green peace hippy would have taken what you wrote and made a big stink about it. I'm just pointing it out, not judging you. I don't care if it was an interstate highway. If it says "road closed" obey it. We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard to keep the government from interferring with our sport. Again, not trying to take away from the story or your thread, but it had to be brought up. Okay, rant over.

One thing I would recommend is getting a full size shovel as well as your folding one. It makes it a lot easier to dig an 80 out of snow! I've played that game a lot... :doh:

You and Christo ARE busting my balls and thats cool. I get it. But its retarded to have this discussion if all of a sudden we are golden if we backed down and came up through the SAME entrance even though there are NO signs going that way.

I appreciate the intent and it really should be taken to a different thread because this is MINOR issue considering the wealth of knowledge learned from the experience. There are so many other important facts of my write up that others can learn from who are new to off-roading. Yes land use and trail use is one of them but that should not take away from what is learned, it should only add to it.

You're the one that made it a big deal in your first post with clearly stating the road was closed. Edit your post. Had we never known, maybe it wouldn;t have been a big deal here, but either way, how it looks is always what gets trails closed around here.

on a lighter note....

this is a very similar circumstance that i was in a few years ago on an OPEN trail/road where i got stuck. I started a winch vs. locker thread and everyone kept saying lockers, lockers, lockers. Well, winch wins. If you would have had a winch could you have gotten unstuck?

Interesting post. Hasthe 470 locked? You widened my view about the 470. :cheers:

You're the one that made it a big deal in your first post with clearly stating the road was closed. Edit your post. Had we never known, maybe it wouldn;t have been a big deal here, but either way, how it looks is always what gets trails closed around here.

Seriously I am NOT going to edit the post just because I'm getting yelled at. This is so we all learn. If I am wrong I am wrong so be it. Changing the post to make the thread feel more hunky-dory isn't the solution.

I will say that I WILL go on that trail again and even go wen it snowing because I LEARNED A TON. But I will go in from the bottom because evidently I am responsible for the perception of other people on the road.

So folks if you HAPPEN to be going through a completely open trail and you HAPPEN to see the BACKSIDE of a closed trail sign...back up and go back the way you came because PERCEPTION of other drivers is a major concern. :flipoff2:

I am glad I am not the only one that read that part and though, what the hell. The road was closed for a reason. It was obvious that you guys were not prepared. There is so many what-ifs that make my skin crawl. Next time, find an area that is open and go play there.

:clap:

on a lighter note....

this is a very similar circumstance that i was in a few years ago on an OPEN trail/road where i got stuck. I started a winch vs. locker thread and everyone kept saying lockers, lockers, lockers. Well, winch wins. If you would have had a winch could you have gotten unstuck?

I can honestly say that for as much as the LX470 was sliding, the tires he had, the fact we were uphill and the type of ground surface, NO WAY would I have tried snatch strap even though I did have one. I would not have risked both getting stuck.

Neither of us had a winch and even if the 470 did, it would have been impossible to turn around and I don't want to THINK about what kind of flaming we would have gotten if we went off trail to turn around. :rolleyes:

So...do I think lockers would have saved me? That is very hard to say but it definitely would have increased my chances. Being wedged up on the rock/tree still would have meant it was three tires on compromised ground.

Interesting post. Hasthe 470 locked? You widened my view about the 470. :cheers:

Yeah despite the tires and it being bone stock it faired better than my 450 did without lockers thats for sure.

Man, I learn something new every time I wheel in the snow... Most of the time it's a frusterating situation! I'm finally getting to the point where I enjoy the chalenge of it... And know when to say "I'm done!"

Well even though I wasn't 100% prepared for every situation (who really is?) I did have MOST of all the basics to get the job done and did.

BTW its taken a whole 2,880 posts before my balls were thoroughly busted. :flipoff2:

so what if both of you would have had a winch and a snatch block, tree savers, ect.? Could you have freed yourselves?

so what if both of you would have had a winch and a snatch block, tree savers, ect.? Could you have freed yourselves?

Well I DID free myself just using the Hi-Lift.

There were no trees to use, just brush. If I had a winch on my truck then the whole topic would be moot because to be honest I would have been pulled out in the time it takes to spool the winch. All I would have to do it tie onto the trailer hitch or tow hooks from the 470 and just winched myself out.

If I had my choice in order:
• Lockers first to just drive out
• Winch to pull out if lockers failed
• Hi-Lift being as I suck and don't have the 1st two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom