Thoughts on Coolant brand... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to change out my PHH, the FHH, and my thermostat (PM only). I figured I might as well do full system flush.

Anyone have good/bad to say about the brands of coolant that are on the market?

I know there is "Red" coolant from Toyota. Anything suggested?

thanks!

Sounds like we will be going "RED".

My plans are to swap out the PHH, FHH, and thermostat like I stated earlier.

Anything else I should clean out or replace while I am doing this?

Sounds like we will be going "RED".

My plans are to swap out the PHH, FHH, and thermostat like I stated earlier.

Anything else I should clean out or replace while I am doing this?

Be careful with just assuming Red is the best for your vehicle. Read the FAQ thread over very well--there is some significant and legitimate argument for using something other than Toyota Red.

Considering that one of the best 1FZ mechanics in the country advocates not using Red and using something other should give pause for thought and research.

-o-

Be careful with just assuming Red is the best for your vehicle. Read the FAQ thread over very well--there is some significant and legitimate argument for using something other than Toyota Red.

Considering that one of the best 1FZ mechanics in the country advocates not using Red and using something other should give pause for thought and research.

-o-

I spoke with said mechanic about this at a wheeling event. I wish I could find what he recommends. I can't locate that generic green anywhere in my area. If I could, I would not be using red.

Buck

You will find those people on the "green" side and those on the "red" side. What everyone on MUD does agree on is that you NEVER want to mix red and green and if you switch between the two, do a comprehensive ie- "heater core", flush of the cooling system.

I've read all the posts on this subject on Mud and I put the Toyota Red in my 1993 80. I also put it in my 1994 80 that we bought new in 1994. Logged over 230,000 mile with the 94 and never any problems with the cooling system just pm.

I'm sure the engineers at Toyota designed the red stuff to work just fine in all toyota engines of the 80's vintage.

Just to clarify, we're taking about the "Standard" toyota red. NOT the long life coolant also available through toyota, which I think may also be red in color.

Well this could go on forever... I am thinking since green is readily available (in case of emergency, since red does not mix well), and there is nothing that says "green is evil" I'll go with a good quality green and a thorough flush.

Anything else I should PM while I am at it?

Well this could go on forever... I am thinking since green is readily available (in case of emergency, since red does not mix well), and there is nothing that says "green is evil" I'll go with a good quality green and a thorough flush.

Anything else I should PM while I am at it?

If you still run the original radiator hoses, it might be time to change them too. I just ordered a set from CDan, and plan to do the same some time this year (when it gets warmer). Have fun!

The FSM says to use a premium ethylene-glycol coolant. I prefer the Toyota red.

The most important thing is to heed the word premium (e.g. Toyota or Prestone) and to never mix red and green in your 80. Do a good flush before swapping types and change your coolant annually or at a minimum, every 2 years with trail trucks.

A poorly functioning cooling system is the quickest way to learn how to do a HG job.

-B-

Last edited:
Flushing the coolant cannot be overstated. Be sure you know how to back flush the heater core and rear heater core, know and use the block drain and of course know and use the radiator drain. And of course remove the thermostat during flushing. It's the most important thing you'll do on your 80 this year if you're switching types.

Personally, I'd even fill with water and run errands for the day before doing a final drain and fill that evening.

DougM

Personally, I'd even fill with water and run errands for the day before doing a final drain and fill that evening.

DougM

Good suggestion Doug, I was just thinking of running a distilled water for a day or two... before putting in expensive coolant, especially, I plan to replace most of the cooling hoses. The other concern I have is using the tap water. I don't know how "clean" the city water really is, and I am debating whether I am better of to rinse the heater core with distilled water (no sure I will have enough pressure to push the water through).

Don't worry about using tap water for the flush. Use distilled water for the 50/50 mix.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom