swapping out cool box... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am so glad i traded up my '01 4runner to an '08 land cruiser, but the driver-accessible storage with the cool box option frankly stinks.

has anyone swapped back the original console? i hate working on interior mods (tend to break those stupid little plastic clips), but i'm starting to eye the sawzall. my local dealer was no help: they didn't even know about the cool box option!

any suggestions before i do something stupd would be appreciated.

If the inside of the cooler box area is smooth inside and complete, I would love to remove it also! Let us know if if you end up doing it!

If the inside of the cooler box area is smooth inside and complete, I would love to remove it also! Let us know if if you end up doing it!

Why remove it? Just to get storage?

ultimately, i want to install a console vault.

two things...

first, techinfo.toyota.com is a great source of info on your vehicle if you can't afford a factory shop manual. though they do charge for the site, it's still cheaper than buying a manual.

second, the cool box has an actual evaporator and blower motor in it, like a mini refrigerator. needless to say, this will entail some a/c plumbing (probably a cap), so this will not be a simple swap...more of a PITA than i had planned on, so no swap for now

and BTW, thanx to the regulars (dtt255, chimyz, jbhorne, etc) that have posted so much useful information on your modifications. i'm looking forward to following in your footsteps.

two things...

first, techinfo.toyota.com is a great source of info on your vehicle if you can't afford a factory shop manual. though they do charge for the site, it's still cheaper than buying a manual.

second, the cool box has an actual evaporator and blower motor in it, like a mini refrigerator. needless to say, this will entail some a/c plumbing (probably a cap), so this will not be a simple swap...more of a PITA than i had planned on, so no swap for now

and BTW, thanx to the regulars (dtt255, chimyz, jbhorne, etc) that have posted so much useful information on your modifications. i'm looking forward to following in your footsteps.

I thought the same exact thing after I read the tech manual. Way too much work for very small gain.....

Thanks for the compliment!

Can you just not use the space without removing anything? I know you were interested in a lockable safe, but maybe it would be a good compromise to removing it completely? Just a thought. I've actually found the cooler box usefull...unfortunately it was only for a couple of family trips we did, the rest of the time it is kinda useless.

Can you just not use the space without removing anything? I know you were interested in a lockable safe, but maybe it would be a good compromise to removing it completely? Just a thought. I've actually found the cooler box usefull...unfortunately it was only for a couple of family trips we did, the rest of the time it is kinda useless.

Yeah, who's going to check for a gun in the refrigerator? My bullets don't like the cold though :hillbilly:

And thanks for the compliment, but DTT and Chimyz are the one's who deserve it. I have barely done anything to mine! They just taunt me with all their cool mods!

I actually find it kinda useful. When not driving around trying to make ends meet, I'm hauling my kids to and fro. Works nicely keeping the kiddie drinks chilled on warm days. During long hauls, keeps adult beverages cool as well. When not pulling duty as a fridge, works well as a storage box - keys, cameras, cell phone, wallet, etc. have all spent time there.

It may not chill warm drinks during daily driving but it does come in handy keeping cool ones cool. It's a gimmick for sure but I like it.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom