1994 FZJ-80... Please educate me... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see a lot on 95-97 FZJ-80's (including the newb links/threads), but not a whole lot on '94 FZJ's (I've searched). I've read that the transmission, suspension, interior, brakes, OBD II, etc. were updated/new in '95. That being said...is there anything about the equipment in the '94 which would make you shy away from one (ex. the "bus" transmission)?

While I'd prefer a '95+ 80-series, I can't think of a reason why a '94 wouldn't work for me. The '94 has the newer/more powerful engine and is just as reliable as the older/newer FJ/FZJ-80's. I'm primarily looking for a daily driver, not a trail rig (in case that has an impact on your advice).

I'm going from a 190k mile lifted '97 Jeep Cherokee, so any FJ/FZJ will be a step up.:beer:

yeah this has been discussed on a few threads but there are many reasons why 95-97 FJZ are ALWAYS better the the pre-95ish FJs.

But you've pretty much already named them: OBDII, trans, engine all better in 95-97. Supercharger also for the win. In Fact....I think the interesting thing would be to find ANYTHING that is actually better on the FJ vs the FJZ and I can't think of one. :D

yeah this has been discussed on a few threads but there are many reasons why 95-97 FJZ are ALWAYS better the the pre-95ish FJs.

But you've pretty much already named them: OBDII, trans, engine all better in 95-97. Supercharger also for the win. In Fact....I think the interesting thing would be to find ANYTHING that is actually better on the FJ vs the FJZ and I can't think of one. :D

The engine in the '94 is the same as the '95-97. From what I've read, the only difference is how it breathes (MAF in '95-97 vs. a lower volume air flow sensor in the '94). I've read that the power output is the same but the throttle response is slower in the '94.

I'm not looking to see if anything is better in the '94 FZJ vs. the '95-97. I'm literate, so I can pretty much tell on my own that there is no pro to getting a pre-'95.:D What I'm asking is if there are any reasons why someone should shy away from one (i.e. without OBD II it's more difficult to troubleshoot issues, the transmission is terrible, if you buy a '94 your junk will rot off, etc.).

Basically...I've come across a '94 with decent mileage at a reasonable price and I'd like to know if there's a good reason why I should pass it up. My current thought is that I'd rather pay under $6,000 for a '94 with 130k miles than $8,000+ for a '95-97 with 120k+. :cheers:

'94 doesn't have airbags if that matters to you, it doesn't to me. Some will argue but the transmission is stronger in '94s. LXs? Well , that's a different story. :D

'94 doesn't have airbags if that matters to you, it doesn't to me. Some will argue but the transmission is stronger in '94s. LXs? Well , that's a different story. :D

To me... nope. I will have to see if that matters to the insurance company though, lol. I appreciate you bringing that up. Checking on that would not have occurred to me.

the only thing better about the 93-94 really..is the grille. :flipoff2: thats why i switched mine to the early version...

A few Toyota master mechanics ive spoken with believe the HG failure issue is less common in the 93-94s from what theyve seen.

A nice variety of ?'s inside, something for everyone!

oops...wrong thread

Last edited:
Better tranny and no OBDII crap for the 94's. Far superior! :D And no airbags.

And the front grill says TOYOTA, not that funny looking sombrero thingy.

Haha. I prefer the '95-97 grille. I think the pre-'95 one looks dated.

The grill is dated, it's a 15 year old car. :D
Bottom line is that each person on this forum will say that the year they have is the best.
Sounds like you've done you're research and you know what the real differences are between years. I would get the cleanest, lowest milage rig in my price range that hopefully has some sort of a service history, if that's a 93, 94 or a 95+. If certain things really matter to you, ie- airbags, OBDII, then it's a simple decision. Good luck and post some pics of your rig when you get it. You can't go wrong with any year, these are great trucks.:cheers:

I see a lot on 95-97 FZJ-80's (including the newb links/threads), but not a whole lot on '94 FZJ's (I've searched). I've read that the transmission, suspension, interior, brakes, OBD II, etc. were updated/new in '95. That being said...is there anything about the equipment in the '94 which would make you shy away from one (ex. the "bus" transmission)?

While I'd prefer a '95+ 80-series, I can't think of a reason why a '94 wouldn't work for me. The '94 has the newer/more powerful engine and is just as reliable as the older/newer FJ/FZJ-80's. I'm primarily looking for a daily driver, not a trail rig (in case that has an impact on your advice).

I'm going from a 190k mile lifted '97 Jeep Cherokee, so any FJ/FZJ will be a step up.:beer:

Other than airbags, I can't think of anything that would be considered by anyone to be a deal breaker. No difference in suspension. OBD-II requires a scanner to read check engine codes. On a 94 all you need is a paper clip. The engine differences are minimal. Contrary to what was said above, 93-97 are ALL FZJ's with the 1FZ-FE. The big change was after 92 when the full floater real axle, factory f/r lockers, rear disc brakes, and the more powerful engine became available.

I actually sought a 94. My local emission laws start on OBDII and 95. When Pa goes to a full sniffer test I may or may not be exempt. so far I'm exempt. I moved up from an 88 fj62 and I was tempted to get a pre 93 for the old "tractor motor" but went with the higher output engine. Also I prefer the interior of the 94 reminds me of my 62..

The only thing I've run into is: it's difficult to get an exhaust system.

bob

The grill is dated, it's a 15 year old car. :D
Bottom line is that each person on this forum will say that the year they have is the best.
Sounds like you've done you're research and you know what the real differences are between years. I would get the cleanest, lowest milage rig in my price range that hopefully has some sort of a service history, if that's a 93, 94 or a 95+. If certain things really matter to you, ie- airbags, OBDII, then it's a simple decision. Good luck and post some pics of your rig when you get it. You can't go wrong with any year, these are great trucks.:cheers:

That's what my brother is telling me...he has a '97 but pointed this '94 out to me.:beer: Mileage and how well it was maintained are really my primary concerns. I know that all of these are reliable, so I'm not going to get hung up over getting one that's a couple years older than my current vehicle.

Other than airbags, I can't think of anything that would be considered by anyone to be a deal breaker. No difference in suspension. OBD-II requires a scanner to read check engine codes. On a 94 all you need is a paper clip. The engine differences are minimal. Contrary to what was said above, 93-97 are ALL FZJ's with the 1FZ-FE. The big change was after 92 when the full floater real axle, factory f/r lockers, rear disc brakes, and the more powerful engine became available.

Yup. I had to pick one up for the Cherokee. I had nothing but problems with it (electrical mostly) for the first year that I owned it. I'd love to pick one up with lockers, but I don't see that happening. I'm not even picky on the color.

I actually sought a 94. My local emission laws start on OBDII and 95. When Pa goes to a full sniffer test I may or may not be exempt. so far I'm exempt. I moved up from an 88 fj62 and I was tempted to get a pre 93 for the old "tractor motor" but went with the higher output engine. Also I prefer the interior of the 94 reminds me of my 62..

The only thing I've run into is: it's difficult to get an exhaust system.

bob

All we have is SW VA is a basic safety inspection (tires, brakes, lighting, etc.). If my POS can pass it, I'm sure I won't have an issue with a LC. Do you have oxygen sensors on your '94 (I guess that may have come out with OBD II)? That's been the biggest headache with my current rig. I'm still getting CEL's as a result of the wiring being $hitty (i've rewired/soldered it at least three times now).

Thanks for all of your opinions:beer:. Hopefully I hear back from this guy today (he's supposed to send more pictures and the vin). It's a good enough deal that if I don't jump on it, someone else will.

The exhaust...is that a specific part that's not compatible with the '95+ vehicles?

Both trucks are great trucks. I would be more concerned with the condition and whatever personal features you want. Between the years 94 and 95 shouldn't be the deal breaker for you :beer:

bob

Yup, I settled on a 94 as well mostly for the same reason.

I'm fairly new to land cruisers but have been reading quite a bit, I don't see anything that would make ME choose a 95-97 over a 94. The air bags would be nice but still not a deciding factor for me.
I've looked at a lot of different cruisers and settled on a 94 from a member of this board. It needs a little work and the body has some dings, scrapes, and a little rust but it has a lower milage solid motor that was put in a year ago. My main concern was realiability so its perfect for me.
I did find some really nice (clean inside & out) stock 95's, 96's and 97's but they had higher milage and no service records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom