Some shots of the Cruiser. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

klinetime574

TLCA #27404
SILVER Star
Threads
IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

Stickers are awesome.

IMG_4824.jpg

Reppin' Mud

IMG_4820.jpg

I spy a rice burner. :) (Anyone know what it is?)

IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

Vroom.

IMG_4822.jpg

Sorry for the weird lighting I used our oldest camera.

Caution Tech Starts Here...:eek:

So my alternator is on the fritz. I tightened the belt the other day and it jumped from 8 to 10. Next day back down to 8. Today got the cruiser up to a whopping 74mph (the fastest I've ever gotten it) and the volts climbed the 13 and then dropped. Sound like a alternator rebuild is needed?

And here is a dumb question: Could inaccurate timing cause dieseling?

Thanks Guys!

i dont know about the alternator, but nice rig, those are the wheels from JToutfitters right?

Eagle 058's I got them off ebay from a seller that had 5 for $390 with free shipping. :clap:

S13 in the background- I would change out regulator before replacing alternator. 38.00 from toyota Cdan or Ralph Hayes with mud discount.

S13 in the background- I would change out regulator before replacing alternator. 38.00 from toyota Cdan or Ralph Hayes with mud discount.

Nice eye smkymntn. Thanks for the tip about the regulator. Is there any way to see if mine has failed?

I still have a soft spot for the S Chassis's, you have not driven a fun car till you drive one with a S14 Sr20DET swap. Still may have to tell myself I need another one

-Others with more knowledge than I will chime in, but if you check with a multimeter what the alt is actually putting out it will help diagnose your issue. How does your fusable link look?

Hey klinetime574, :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

As for the alt, change the VR. A bad alt usually does not work at all, as opposed to jumping voltage.

I am now an alt/vr expert (/retard). Get a new VR (actually called an IC by Toyota) from Cruiser Dan. If that is the problem you are good. If not then you need a new alt and you should get a new VR when you do that anyway!

BTW - There are approx 300 people on Mud that know this stuff better than I. The above is what I learned from them.

Your cruiser's lookin' great. Hard work pays off.

I would agree your voltage regulator is not working. When mine went out, I would get high spikes in voltage on the dash meter.
I bought a new Bosch alternator when my local alternator shop said they couldn't get the parts to rebuild my factory one (they didn't look very hard). A $40.00 VR would have fixed it, though. Live and learn.

The FSM has a troubleshooting guide for it and the alternator. Basically, you should get 14-14.7 Volts at 2000 rpms.

Keep us posted.

Local parts store will test the alternator for free on or off the truck
If you do get a replacement alt. make sure and have them bench test it before it leaves the store....recently got a remanned one and it was dead right out of the box:rolleyes:
Nice rig btw

Tech off.... Cruiser looks great, that is the same color as mine. I hope after my diy resto it looks half that nice.

Tech back on....

I got my alternator rebuilt for ~$80 a couple years ago without any issues since.

nice truck! it might be worth getting a spare Alt. I picked one (ND) up here on mud for 50$ as a spare w/ VR on it. It's a quick swap if you need to troubleshoot, or carry for a spare just in case.

are you getting the battery and brake light coming on or flickering too?

GL!

rob

Sounds like a VR is in my near future as well.

I am also curious as to what causes these rigs to "diesel". Mine's timed perfectly and still does it. I am not sure what shape the carb's in, but that's my next guess.

TK

WOW a lot of replies!

I still have a soft spot for the S Chassis's, you have not driven a fun car till you drive one with a S14 Sr20DET swap. Still may have to tell myself I need another one

-Others with more knowledge than I will chime in, but if you check with a multimeter what the alt is actually putting out it will help diagnose your issue. How does your fusable link look?

That S-chassis is my brothers it has a CA18DET which is pretty fun stuff. :D

I thought it was a Silvia;p

Great 60 shots....super clean

It technically is a silvia since it has the engine it came with it in Japan except it has the US front end.

You youngins and your raised white letters....;)

Truck looks good bro.

I like my letters I wanna show off my expensive tires haha

Your cruiser's lookin' great. Hard work pays off.

I would agree your voltage regulator is not working. When mine went out, I would get high spikes in voltage on the dash meter.
I bought a new Bosch alternator when my local alternator shop said they couldn't get the parts to rebuild my factory one (they didn't look very hard). A $40.00 VR would have fixed it, though. Live and learn.

The FSM has a troubleshooting guide for it and the alternator. Basically, you should get 14-14.7 Volts at 2000 rpms.

Keep us posted.

VR it is. gotta call CDAN

nice truck! it might be worth getting a spare Alt. I picked one (ND) up here on mud for 50$ as a spare w/ VR on it. It's a quick swap if you need to troubleshoot, or carry for a spare just in case.

are you getting the battery and brake light coming on or flickering too?

GL!

rob

My Brake light doesn't come on and the battery light is fine.

Too much chrome....:flipoff2:

Looks very nice!

I like my chrome. (It doesn't rust here :flipoff2: )

Thanks for all the help guys.

That's one clean and beautiful 60.:)

UBER clean I wish my paint looked like that

My paint isn't perfect on the front end. Stupid cheap paint job that my Dad had done a long time ago. Guy did terrible prep work.

The bad lighting hides it :)

I'll take some better shots to prove my cruiser isn't perfect. haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom