Aftermarket Steering Stab w/ Hysteer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
So I got a Steering Stabilzer from Scotty at Addicted Offroad (great guy) and it actually got drop shipped from TrailGear (Sorry Marlin, didn't know) and its great and beefy (Explorer) and was intended to be welded to the framerail w/ the provided bracket....

I have All-Pro hysteer with 80 TRE's and custom Rods so I didn't have the mounting spot on the draglink. Hence the need for the Aftermarket.

I looked at it and it seemed like I could use the Old OEM mount on the frame side so I bolted it up and it seems to be working fine, not binding and not hanging up anywhere (other than a little Draglink twist)

Does anyone see any issues with the set-up?

steeringstab005webbo9.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2009-02-16

steeringstab004webzg7.jpg

steeringstab002webha7.jpg

It said it had eight inches of travel so I opened it to four and bolted her on.

HIGH STEER ON A SUA TELL ME MORE WHAT SPRINGS AND WHAT HIGH STEER

... oh and the steer stab looks good :steer:

LOL!

Pretty straight forward actually...Alcan 5" & CCOT HFS 2.5" Extended Shackles, I think the PO (Ige) put the hysteer (AllPro) on so the draglink angle wouldn't be so steep. Doesn't hit anywhere at full compression so I'm golden...although I haven't done any Fall Guy Intro sequence Jumps to compress both sides at the same time and I don't plan to.:grinpimp:

Um, do you need a steering stabilizer?
Most folks I know that run a hi-steer & power steering (like me) don't need one and don't run one...
Just asking.

Didn't run one for quite a longtime after I redid the knuckles/birfs but she did like to wander on the highway with 35's and that does stress the PS Box a bit so I decided to give the situation a little stability.

Interesting. I didn't think that wander could be produced by a bad / missing steering stabilizer, but results will tell.

Definitely...It had/has improved greatly on the test run.

35x12.5's on 8" rims can pull that steering wheel wherever they wanna go...

Out here in SW Colorado the roads are pretty crowned and pretty grooved

...check your toe-in lately?...just asking....I gotz no need for a steering stablizer...35x14.5 all around..

.23" Toe-in-Checked, and raised it up to check for any wobble (up/down & Side to side looseness) all stable. I think my main issue is slight ballooning of the tires on 15x8's so highway contact patch is a bit smaller than desirable. Plus I have those longa$$ shackles up front

Do you have PS on the Pig or the OEM Armstrong?

Last edited:
His wandering could be due to low caster. Quite a few people who have Hi-steer have the cut and turn with more caster. Just a thought.

Maybe it's the caster then. Have any shims under those axles?

Yup, got shims (6degrees I think...PO)

We aren't talking about a lot of play/shimy/death wobble here guys
just a little bit of back and forth on the highway. And I'm relatively retentive about it...

Do you have PS on the Pig or the OEM Armstrong?

No, I've got the scout II power steering...
Wondering if maybe a little more toe-in would help the tracking issues...
Thinking that finding and fixing your wandering woes would be better (cheaper too) than a steering stabilizer...

What I heard advised is no more than .25"...I really think it was just the tires and shackles (not really solvable) everything else is spot on. Not a biggy. My main purpose in posting was to Identify if everyone thought the mounting of the stabilizer seemed correct.

I would look at flipping the drag link mounting plate. Looks like it would nearly level out the damper which make it's response more linear.

I would look at flipping the drag link mounting plate. Looks like it would nearly level out the damper which make it's response more linear.

agreed but I was worried about contact w/ skid plate and more draglink twist with the weight fulcruming from above as opposed to below

Contact is the only thing that worry me.

Contact is the only thing that worry me.

Trap man, make you a 3 inch drop for the stock mount it's a no brainer, solid piece of alum or steel same size as the bottom of the stock mound and drill two holes. Get longer grade 8 bolts and button it up. Drops the frame side down level with the rod and does not get the body of the stablizer up into contact area. Just my .02 :cheers:

Good idea, for that matter just make a longer L-bracket for the frame side and drill 3 holes...2 for the frame mounting bolts and one for the stud that holds the stab.
Probably going to need a gusset or two. No doubt you extended and compressed the damper. That bracket's whole life will spent doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom