Here we go again!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
So... Last night my :princess: decided that she wants a 70. :bounce: (cuz they're "cute") All I can say is that is awesome, because otherwise she has always wanted a samurai. (and has owned one) Now - being that I have a 40, and two 60's, (along with the rest of the crap around the yard) I'll have to thin out the herd before it happens. The 70 will be replacing our Subaru Impreza.

So... this is the begining of the research - Showing her pictures, she doesn't want a troopie, or a 75 (though I do!) but how freakin many 70 series are there???

My requirements are pretty simple - Diesel, Manual. Other than that she can have whatever 70 she wants! (it'll run on veggie once it gets to my stable)

From what I have gathered so far...

70 - the shortest of them all
73 - the same as the 70 but with a removable top?
75 - pickup or Ute (my fav!)
78 - can't get em in Canada so it doesn't matter
79 - same as above..

What are the IMPORTANT differences?!

Is there a generic page somewhere that lists all the 70 series changes between models, and what was available where?

Thanks guys! (I expect to have this subaru-cruiser swap done in the next 8-10 months - so lots of time to research and find a good one)

Really your choices are BJ70, BJ71, BJ74, HZJ73, HZJ77.... The 75 is a truck and extremely hard to get.

I would pick an HZJ73. Or a BJ74.

BJ70 will be the only LHD choice there is. Unless you find an old mine truck.

Well then, that makes it easy!! I'm on the lookout for a nice clean but not costing the earth BJ70!
What was the last year for the BJ70 in Canada? (she says absolutely no way to the RHD) I like the idea of another 3B - less spare parts to stock! (mine is 3b)

Or, perhaps we will have to take a nice fly down/drive back trip to South America!

Well then, that makes it easy!! I'm on the lookout for a nice clean but not costing the earth BJ70!
What was the last year for the BJ70 in Canada? (she says absolutely no way to the RHD) I like the idea of another 3B - less spare parts to stock! (mine is 3b)

87 was the last year for cdn BJ70s. There are more 85s than the other 2 years. 85s are 12V, the other 2 years are 24V.

Nice and clean + not costing the earth may be a slightly tall order. ;)
Your options do open up a lot if you can get her to change her mind about RHD...

tell yah what, we have this cool run coming up called the WSSR, (you have heard about it since i have your email sitting here) and there is going to be a PZJ70 involved. you are welcome to test drive it for a first hand experience...

Hey Crushers - I am totally open to the RHD thing - trust me!! I think it would take me getting one, and her driving it once in a while to get used to it. (hmm - maybe that's a plan!) She is absolutely dead set against RHD though!

nah, you misunderstood. before you buy you get to test drive a 70 just to see if you like the feel and body style...
or maybe you already have...

nah, you misunderstood. before you buy you get to test drive a 70 just to see if you like the feel and body style...
or maybe you already have...

Sweet - I'll definitely take you up on that one!! How does the 70 compare to a 40 for ride? (though I'm sure tractor tires/turbo/PI would make quite a difference!) who knows - maybe by then we'll have one and she'll come along in hers! :D Watching the FS section like a hawk, and she has found some on Craigslist/Kijiji. These buggers don't come cheap!

We (she) had a samurai about 8 years ago - and to be honest - it was my first "off road experience" - Though I had always wanted a Toyota - the samurai confirmed I wanted a Toyota. Hence my 40 came along. I expect the ride to be similar but better than a samurai, I know the reliability will be better - and besides - it'll be nice to have a driveway full of cruisers:clap: (Uh, I guess that should really read - "more" full of cruisers :D )

It appears that when these come up for sale, they fall into two groups - ones that are ok - that seem to range from about $5000 to $9000, and those that are perfect - for $10,000 to $15,000. So.. uh... anyone wanna trade me their mint '85 BJ70 for a decent '01 Impreza wagon! :p

(kidding of course - unless someone wants to!!!)

Other than rot - what's the biggest thing to look for on these? any "weaker" points than other cruisers? I assume with the 3B you get an H55? I noticed that the power steering setup is a tad different than on my 3B/60 - any issues with that?

Or, perhaps we will have to take a nice fly down/drive back trip to South America!

Hello,

Most likely Central America or the Caribbean.

I understand that Land Cruisers are no longer in production in Venezuela. However, a used Cruiser from South America may suit your needs, provided it is old enough to be imported.

It is also possible to arrange a trip to either Central America or the Caribbean, where Series 70 trucks are still sold. You can also get a used one to drive back. Can you drive a new gas- or diesel-powered Cruiser back home and legally register it there?

From what Gilghana and other users tell, it is also possible to source a new Series 70 in Africa. Again, can it be legally brought back and registered?

Different markets, different Cruisers.

My two cents.

JuanJ

shoot me an email with your budget...
i have a line on ... well, you will have to contact me...

Hello,

Most likely Central America or the Caribbean.
JuanJ

Hey, that works too!! I am working on a project for Panama right now.... Hopefully soon I can get a trip in and scope out a few cruisers to ship back!! :grinpimp:

Hello,

If you go to Panama you can contact Tapage for help on finding a Cruiser.

JuanJ

Yup, already talked with Tapage - Not about finding a cruiser - but about going... Have all his cell #'s! (I want to see the REAL Panama!)

I'm hoping I can find some sort of a shipping deal, since I will be shipping 4, 50' crew boats down to the Panama Canal, maybe I can get a good deal on sending a container back up!

be honest, you just want to meet the "mountains" in Panama...

Hello,

Well, "mountains" are part of the real Panama, aren't they?:D

You cannot say you have been there without meeting them...

Sightseeing aside, enjoy the trip, and get yourself a nice Cruiser.

JuanJ

umm, i was refering to Tapage's Panama special fleshly "bar Mountains"...

Hello Wayne,

I thought about something like that, and tried to put it in a "polite," so to speak, way. Do we Cruiserheads think alike? ;)

Anyway, it is part of the real Panama, is it not?

No offense intended.

JuanJ

some of us think more alike than others...
i am thinking if i ever got the chance to visit tapage i would need a month. between the wheeling and the visiting the time would fly by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom