80 Manual Tansmission?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I have been searching for a stock 80 to build into my travel rig. The only problem is that I can't find any that are manual transmission. Did Toyota make these just so lazy people can drive to work in them and feel powerful with a slightly offroad vehicle??

Any feedback would be appreciated!

charliemon22623@hotmail.com

-Thanks-

-Bowatti

where are you located?
they make HDJ81 with 5 speed,l mayhave one for sale in Winnipeg,Canada.
Simon

thanks for the reply!

i am in central California. :D

what are the specs? and do you have some pics?

>Did Toyota make these just so lazy people can drive to work in them and feel powerful with a slightly offroad vehicle??

Damn 4 posts and dissin the vehicle. There is a FAQ at the top of the page that would have told you - no manuals for the US. Nor will you be able to get that Canadian 80 registered. I'm feelin all powerful and lazy now that I coddled your ass newb :flipoff2:

it is a 1992 HDJ81,4.2L turbo Diesel,5 speed,right hand drive,l don't think you can import it to the USA.
Simon

Thanks for the reply sean....

I'm not "dissen the vehicle". Just wondering why they don't make em manual trans. I would like to get an 80, but I prefer manual trans. I guess you can't get everything you want into one rig eh? Why would they not come out with a stick though? I am interested.

-Thanks

-Bowatti

If you are in USA and you want a 5 Speed Manual Transmission, you should try to find it in South America (Venezuela or Colombia) since they use to make the FZJ80 until 2007.

But you have to know that you will have to change the computer, the 2 drive shafts and I'm not sure but may the Transfer also... Believe me, it's going to be a real Pain in the A**

If you want more power you should think of getting a Supercharger

if you want the 5spd and diesel than do a swap. i did in my 60 and am looking for a drivetrain for my 80. just to let you know they are not cheap. you will probably spend around 10k. but with the 5spd and the diesel you will love it and it is very economical for what you are driving.

If you are in USA and you want a 5 Speed Manual Transmission, you should try to find it in South America (Venezuela or Colombia) since they use to make the FZJ80 until 2007.

But you have to know that you will have to change the computer, the 2 drive shafts and I'm not sure but may the Transfer also... Believe me, it's going to be a real Pain in the A**

If you want more power you should think of getting a Supercharger

did you import from south america?

Personally, I would rather have the auto in every situation... You couldn't pay me to swap a manual into my 80.

the 80 series 5 speeds aren't that great. they aren't quick to shift, and the 5th gear is a poor excuse for an overdrive. the overdrive on the auto is better.

also while you can start off in 2nd gear on the earlier boxes with the lower 1st and 2nd (and the s***tier syncros), the high first + torque convertor on the auto makes it a better round-town car.

I guess the plus would be (when it's in proper working order) it's a better trans for towing. low first gear makes for easy take offs, and the lower 5th makes it a bit better on highway power/economy

Yeah, that's one thing I wish it had on my 80 is a tall 6th/overdrive gear for high speed cruising...

I guess you can't have it all. ;)

I guess all the 80s in the US can only go "slightly offroad" :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom