door insulation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,i came across some doors on craigslist...so i made some half doors.......Now before i close it up and weld,i wanted to see your thoughts on insulation.....or packing the inside with that stuff you can get at home depot (Dont know what its called) its in a spray can....when sprayed it starts expanding.....and when it dry's its like hard foam.....im not to concerned about insulation weather "wise" its just when you close the door its sounds really "hollow" :confused:
fjdoors003.jpg

fjdoors007.jpg

fjdoors012.jpg

"Spray foam"

Haven't done it. It would deaden sound and keep moisture out. I have used Similar foams in many different applications including Prosthetics.

Make sure to use the stuff that won't warp door and window frames... and leave somewhere for it to expand to.

Mask off surrounding areas (it's a bugger if you get it on finished surfaces and your hands).
Spray it in in multiple passes to allow it to expand without warping.
Then allow it to fully expand and cure then trim off the excess with an OLFA knife (utility).

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Do not put "Great Stuff" in your doors! Or anywhere else on your truck for that matter! It holds moisture, is slightly corrosive, and will rot out your body panels faster than driving it in a salt mine.

Unless you want the truck to rust away, then by all means go for it.

put some actual foam in there that you can remove if you want to.. don't do the spray stuff from home depot, you'll regret it

IMG_0788.jpg

VOODOO BLUE i believe what its called factory paint of a 2007 FJ CRUISER.

This foam looks different than the DIY insulation foam from Home Depot or elsewhere. The "handi foam" for commercial vehicles on the link you provided sounds like it would be a good fit for the half door application you propose. Let us know how it works if you use it! Pics too

Also, it is a nice looking cruiser!

I would use dynamat it used on cars and has great results plus if you ever have problems w\ your handles good luck getting to them w\ all that foam.. Great looking fj!

Foam & Dynamat

I did the entire inside of my doors with Dynamat Extreme. I then used this stuff - GREAT STUFF? - and filled in the cracks etc. I made sure to leave a couple of areas at the bottom of the doors open for water to escape though. The doors now close solid (like a luxury car) and it has eliminated some of the noise.

I did the entire inside of my doors with Dynamat Extreme. I then used this stuff - GREAT STUFF? - and filled in the cracks etc. I made sure to leave a couple of areas at the bottom of the doors open for water to escape though. The doors now close solid (like a luxury car) and it has eliminated some of the noise.

Dynamat - good idea, foam stuff I am afraid is a bad idea from what I have seen in the past, perhaps how you put it in works and won't cause any rot but I use that stuff on the house only.

Keep an eye on it and get it out if you see any rust or even damp in there.

Keep an eye on it and get it out if you see any rust or even damp in there.

Yea, I'm rethinking the foam idea. I'll pull a door panel off and see what it looks like.

foam/water idea

what about running a straw or something tube like inside the door to a drain hole so that it would breath and let out water? before/during the foaming then before its covered pull/slip it out.:meh:

If you do decide to use foam make sure you use the low expansion type. Great Stuff and similar will push out the panels on your doors as it expands. I would use something else.

I filled my half doors with a expanding foam years ago... Don't remember what kind. When empty, the doors would rattle like crazy. With it in there, no rattles... It has not caused me any problems so far. I do live in a dry climate.

Shawn

And now time for some painting......

fjdoors036.jpg

fjdoors040.jpg

fjdoors032.jpg

fjdoors041.jpg

fjdoors043.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom