6.2 chev in 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would start build thread how ever i will have to get somebody to show me how to up load pics {i,e my 10 year old grand son}

For some time I thought a 6.2 or 6.5 would be a neat swap.

I collected some web sites you might find intersting...

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/3480/diesel.htm

CIS Auto Web's Diesel Land Cruisers

CIS Auto Web's Diesel Land Cruisers

The Diesel Page - for the 6.2L, 6.5L, and Duramax 6600 (6.6L) GM Chevrolet and GMC diesel engines.

The 6.2L/6.5L Diesel Troubleshooting & Repair Guide

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/3480/index.html

You might do search here on the OM 617 Mercedes Motor Swap. A few guys are getting ready to do these.
I think the Mercedes 5 cylinder turbo would be great. I made 2 trips to Rock Springs from SLC, Utah last week in 300TD Merceds @ 4500 lb car loaded and we got 27 mpg. at 75-80 mph. Some say they you can tweak the injection pump up for more HP.
4x4 labs make an adapter that will be available someday.

I would start build thread how ever i will have to get somebody to show me how to up load pics {i,e my 10 year old grand son}

1. Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account.
2. Take pics and upload them to your computer
3. Log into and upload them to Photobucket.com account
4. Select those to post and use the "Generate Image Code" feature which automatically generates the HTML code to display photos in posts
5. Select the IMG clickable thumbnail code that is generated (you'll understand when you've done it) and paste into your post.
6. DONE

Welcome to Mud.:flipoff2:

thanks alex e ive been trying to up load and get down to img but cant find the thumb nail .not very good at this but when i catch on look out

Roger Thuerer and his son Rob both run the 6.2 in their trucks. Look them up on the STLCA clubhouse thread. They would be happy to let you know what's involved with the swap.

Later,

dargreg, I might take you up on your offer. I'll be dropping in a GM 6.2 diesel into my 75 FJ40 frame rails sometime in the next few months.

Will a 6.6 fit? Maybe a little shoehorning necessary :) What a sick motor though.

:beer: R

Some pics of the install

Mostly every thing went well on the install.There was a lot of moveing the engine back and forth with the body on and off .Wound up with the AA mounts 10 1/2 in back from the shock mount 1 in over to th right for the power steering.There was at least 3 times the wiring as aposed to a gas engine but all worked out.
HPIM0890.jpg
HPIM0892.jpg
HPIM0897.jpg

update

To date I have 850 miles on the rig ,no problems so far .Cooling is great,power is terrific ,should have gone 5 speed though (nv 4500) preety low geared.
HPIM0991.jpg
HPIM0994.jpg
HPIM0995.jpg

Sweet!!! Tell us more!!

Well the first time I backed it out of the shop I stood on the brakes to see how they were,Twisted the drive shaft off.Had to shorten it any way .One of my biggest concerns was cooling took a long time to fab a shroud that can be split and house an 18 in flex fan to creat an absolute huricane but it worked .Steer linkage is 3/4 DD from Flaming River to 69 Camaro box.
75 landcruiser re and re 002.jpg
6.2 exhaust and Lexus saets_024.jpg
HPIM0903.jpg

Thanks for more pics!!

With 850 miles on the clock can you give us a good idea how the fuel mileage is? Which tranny? Gearing? How's the clearance/fit to the firewall, radiator? Hard to tell for sure from the pics but it appears to be close yet adequate. Where did you end up putting the batteries?

Running out of questions at the moment but I'll probably come up with more when I'm TRYING to go to sleep tonight.

Don't know if I can afford this for a while but I've been wanting to find info on this for some time.

Drooooollll!!!!

Don

Ya ,for 195 miles I put 38 liters in which translates to roughly 23.2 miles to the gal. Lots of variables ,the engine is not broken in yet or is close to it,and I just filled the tank till i heard it gurrgle, Its running a short throw Luk clutch infront of sm465 and 4.11s. I,ll see if Ive got some good pics of the firewall clearance,its about 3 in. Its the 40 rad 4 core and just running one yellow tor Optima for now ,plenty of power for the geared starter.(not the one in the pic)
1975 toyota landcruiser re and re 208.jpg
1975 toyota landcruiser re and re 211.jpg

Dargreg, was just just checking your fuel milage and for our US brothers 23 mpg is Canadian (which makes it 20mpg US). Is this highway are just city driving? Still pretty good with the gearing you have. What size tires do you have? Your RPM's are probable a bit high for the 6.2 with that combo. When I do my swap I plan on putting the 6.2 in front of a 700R4 and 3.7 with 33" tires. Should give me 1800RPM's at 109km/h (right in the engines sweet spot).

What kind of work did you do to the engine before putting in the Cruiser?

Nice work and I hope you'll let me pick your brain when it come time to drop mine between the rails..

Well my mileage should get a lot better as I have been breaking the engine in.Up and down on the throttle, half high way, and half around town ,yes the engine revs out alot for the highway and I plan on 3.73s which would make it better with the 35s.I totally rebuilt an 1982 block as the 82s were high in nickel and will not break the crank journal webing. If I were to do it again I would go the 700R4 as the length would be much the same as NV4500 and the extra gear really is a must.Try and do a hydroboast if you can ,the cam driven pump just makes it. Im on this site every night it seems so any questions feel free.
1975 toyota landcruiser re and re 172.jpg
1975 toyota landcruiser re and re 173.jpg
1975 toyota landcruiser re and re 175.jpg

Definetly going with the hydraboost for brakes. I lucked out and got a complete donor vehicle for $600. Pulled everything I taught I might need and then some.

From your pics I saw that your using the motor mounts for a 350. How are they holding up? I heard they can be an issue with the heavier 6.2. I got all the bracket from the donor so I think I'll use those with new rubber between the metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom