Size of NZ Spec Brake Bleeder Screws? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is it 10mm x 1.0 or 10mm x 1.25 ? I have an 82 with drums all the way around. Have looked and cannot find the answer. Anyone know? Thanks.

is it 10mm x 1.0 or 10mm x 1.25 ? I have an 82 with drums all the way around. Have looked and cannot find the answer. Anyone know? Thanks.

Don't know the thread but I'm pretty sure it isn't specific to down-under cruisers.

The 47547-12010 bleeder is common to a V-A-S-T number of Toyota vehicles.

And while the spanner-size is 10mm, the thread size must be smaller - perhaps 6mm? (Dunno)

:cheers:

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you, I don't think the size is unique to NZ trucks - I'm just not sure on the size. I believe they are 10mm x 1.0 pitch. The reason I ask is because I'm going to install some "speed bleeder" bleeder screws for easier 1-man brake bleeding jobs, would like to order the correct ones the first time around.

T....I believe they are 10mm x 1.0 pitch. ...

...Looks like we need part # SB10125 for drums.

I'm not so sure.

I think you're both right on the thread pitch (1.0mm) because Chris says so here (and he is seldom wrong):

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/259854-2h-bleeder-screw.html

Correction - Chris (Henry James the 47th) said "probably" so obviously he is NOT certain himself.

But I think they could be M7 x 1.0 (not M10)

I don't want to remove one off my vehicle for obvious reasons but holding my vernier callipers against the little bit I see ....... it looks a smaller diameter than 10mm.

And searching the Internet shows that M7x1.0 is used on some Toyota 4x4s (but I see M10 x 1.0 also represented - and possibly even more common!)

But my 10c bet is on #SB7100 if I was to choose one from that supplier BeastII.

:hmm:Amaurer has a 1982 NZ BJ42 (big drums on front) and I seem to remember that he renewed his wheel cylinders recently. So you could ask him to measure the nipple thread (if he still has an old one lying around) to determine whether it is 7mm or 10mm.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I wonder why the sites that sell these things list it as a 10mm for all LCs, whether new/old/disc/drum.

These ones by Russell are $10 for 2 (I think they ar ethe same thing). Interestingly, even though they are marketed for "Disc Front, Drum Rear" - they are the same damn size for both front and rear - 10mm x 1.0

Russell Speed Bleeders - summitracing.com

Hmmm, I wonder why the sites that sell these things list it as a 10mm for all LCs, whether new/old/disc/drum.

These ones by Russell are $10 for 2 (I think they ar ethe same thing). Interestingly, even though they are marketed for "Disc Front, Drum Rear" - they are the same damn size for both front and rear - 10mm x 1.0

Russell Speed Bleeders - summitracing.com

Jeeeez I've wasted a lot of time on this and............ after getting my vernier callipers out again ----- I think you ARE indeed right.

The thread size now looks to me to be the same as the spanner-size ---which is of course 10mm. (Very hard to tell with such a little bit showing and all the rust and paint around it.)

Go for the M10x1.0 I reckon and ignore all that dribble I wrote in my last post.

(But BeastII had the wrong pitch when he suggested SB10125 - I think the pitch is 1.0 and NOT 1.25 - based on my Internet searching.)

Thanks Tom. I'll let you know if indeed the 10mm x 1.0 is the correct thread. :cheers:

Thanks Tom. I'll let you know if indeed the 10mm x 1.0 is the correct thread. :cheers:

And let us know what you think of those bleeders at the same time :)

And let us know what you think of those bleeders at the same time :)

10mm x 1.0 is indeed the correct size. As for the product itself, they are awesome (well, as awesome as anything related to bleeding brakes can be). Very easy to use and they work well, one-way valve gets air out without letting any in.

Use 3/8 OD 1/4 ID clear tubing from hardware store to catch fluid in a can/jar/cup, fits on the nipple perfectly and prevents making a mess. Brakes are nice and tight.

Highly recommended. I got mine at Summit Racing.

:beer:

10mm x 1.0 is indeed the correct size. As for the product itself, they are awesome (well, as awesome as anything related to bleeding brakes can be). Very easy to use and they work well, one-way valve gets air out without letting any in.

Use 3/8 OD 1/4 ID clear tubing from hardware store to catch fluid in a can/jar/cup, fits on the nipple perfectly and prevents making a mess. Brakes are nice and tight.

Highly recommended. I got mine at Summit Racing.

:beer:

Thanks for the feedback.

Some useless trivia.
M10x1mm bleeder screws are used in all metric landrover brake fittings. This is from about 1986 onwards.

I'm not so sure.

I think you're both right on the thread pitch (1.0mm) because Chris says so here (and he is seldom wrong):

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/259854-2h-bleeder-screw.html

Correction - Chris (Henry James the 47th) said "probably" so obviously he is NOT certain himself.

But I think they could be M7 x 1.0 (not M10)

I don't want to remove one off my vehicle for obvious reasons but holding my vernier callipers against the little bit I see ....... it looks a smaller diameter than 10mm.

And searching the Internet shows that M7x1.0 is used on some Toyota 4x4s (but I see M10 x 1.0 also represented - and possibly even more common!)

But my 10c bet is on #SB7100 if I was to choose one from that supplier BeastII.

:hmm:Amaurer has a 1982 NZ BJ42 (big drums on front) and I seem to remember that he renewed his wheel cylinders recently. So you could ask him to measure the nipple thread (if he still has an old one lying around) to determine whether it is 7mm or 10mm.

Well, to my amazement, I was right. Incredibly, I'm batting 100% so far in 2009 here on 'Mud, 1 for 1. It's like a hot streak really - don't jinx it!

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom