How to clean the belly of the beast. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How to clean the belly of the beast. With pics.

Getting ready to do a front end repair I decided to clean the grease and oil from the underside of the Cruiser.

Step one - find a steam cleaner and get it set to spray.

Step Two - Ill let the pictures do the talking.

0213091333.jpg

0213091333a.jpg

The cruiser is about 100lbs lighter as a result. As a saftey note, please use straps and chains that are properly rated, or let a professional do it.

Last edited:
Now that is something you don't see every day.

- Mark

I'm pleasantly surprised that you didn't dimple the bumper where the straps wrapped (or bend the whole thing).

Nice idea for cleaning it up.

So, steam cleaning the under side of the truck will not damage anything? Pressure and heat combined? You have any before and after pictures?

I'm glad you were using proper equipment and I'm also glad to see that you didn't get hurt. However, having been on many construction sites during my career I can tell you that one of the most important safety rules is to never walk under a suspended load. If the hydraulics or anything else failed those front tires would hit the ground in about 0.2 seconds.

Apologies for preaching but cranes do fail. If you manged to clean it without actually going under then I say job well done.

Didnt get under the truck at all. This is my job, thats the #1 rule of lifting, I did get it clean without going under, thats why we lifted it up so far, easy to get at. Don't feel bad about preaching, saftey is the most important thing. Too many deaths happen that are easy to avoid.

Didn't hurt anything with the steamer, just use sense with what you point the sprayer at. No before and after, but think what a truck that hadn't had the underside cleaned scince it was new in 91 and has leaked out about 3 gallons of PS fluid from the PO, amoung the other spilled and leaked fluids with the added dirt. Stuff gets baked on hard.

It didn't do any damage to the bumper at all, and if it would have, meh, its going away some time. If you are worried about the bumper, or are not sure of what you are doing, DON'T do it. :beer:

Didnt get under the truck at all. This is my job, thats the #1 rule of lifting, I did get it clean without going under, thats why we lifted it up so far, easy to get at. Don't feel bad about preaching, saftey is the most important thing. Too many deaths happen that are easy to avoid.

Glad to read that. At least this way someone reading this thread will at least think twice before walking under their's (especially if it's suspended from a backhoe with a 2" snatch strap).

Should just lifted it all the way and spun it in the air while you sprayed :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom