Made a Roof Rack for the 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would take advantage of cheap steel prices and begin fabbing my 60's rack.
Seeing how I still wanted it to fit in the garage, it needed to be LOW profile. Overall dimentions are 7' X 50" X 3.75" I used 2"angle for bottom and 1"angle for top and mocked it up around a 2X4 to get the right height. The cross pieces are .5" square tube. Since this is going to be more of a middle duty "tie down" sort of rack, I used .25" round bar for the side lattice. It loads OK with a small amount of bend in the middle so I may go back and floor it some how. I was supprised that this rack was not heavier than it is.
So far I am out about $110 in steel. The most expensive part will be Groucho's gutter clamps.

Oh, and pics
100_0606.jpg
100_0605.jpg
100_0610.jpg

Looks awesome!
How much does it weigh?
What'cha gonna use to affix it to the roof?

Chicago

looking good. I'd like to see the same done in aluminum, with rounded corners. But your's looks a heckavu lot better than what I could build!

Hey I have a GREAT respect for them. I tried to fab some myself ( like Coyote's ) and came away with a new point of view if you know what I mean. Groucho's are just top notch and well worth the coin.

I love people who fabricate their own hardware. It looks great.

Were you planning on adding some aerodynamics to the forward facing end of the rack? If it talks to you once you have it mounted and are heading down the highway, you might want to add something rounded to the front. You might even be able to split a 3 or 4 inch plastic pipe in half, and mount it on the front end. Now that I'm thinking about it, you might want to put the whole pipe on the front, glue on some screw on end caps, and stow your fishing rods up there!

Looks like it is well made.

I have considered some of the consequences of the rack as far as noise, mileage, and heaven forbid lift. Most of this is speculation until it gets up there. It 7' which puts it a little aft of the windshield in hops uf ducking some of the flow. Hopefully the low pro will help in that regard as well.

Thanks for all the + ivity.

paint it, mount it and show more pictures.

Mark's Offroad in Burbank Ca bought a container full of ConFerr parts. He might have spare clamps. I bought 2 spare clamps from him awhile back.

Marks'off Road Enterprises
Marks Off Road Home Page

437 N Moss St
Burbank, CA 91502
(818) 953-9230

That being said, I believe Groucho makes clamps too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom