1KZ-T swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched and was surprised not to find a thread or a build up with the 1KZ-T. :confused: Am I missing something here?

Looking at the stats it compares very well with the 2H and 13BT, and comes in behind the 12HT and 1HZ by an acceptable amount to me.

13BT 120 @ 3400 210 @ 2000
2H 103 @ 3500 177 @ 2200
12HT 135 @ 3500 231 @ 2000
1HZ 135 @ 4000 187 @ 2200
1KZ-T 125 @ 3600 218 @ 2000
1KZ-TE 130 @ 3600 213 @ 2000

Is there something that makes this diesel 4 banger unsuitable for a Cruiser? Is it crap? I'm thinking in particular about the possibility of using the entier drive train from a HiLux in my 62.

Last edited:
Pretty good engine, they usually wind up un hilux/surf applications. Has a timing belt instead of gears.

I haven't found a torque/power curve for this engine yet. Any sense of how driveable it is? Expected fuel economy?

Are there any known gotchas or things to seriously think about before doing a swap? Right now the stats, price, and availability are making this engine a front runner as I continue to research my re-power.

My impression of the 13B-T/A440 in a stock FJ62 was very favorable. Made the vehicle a completely different truck. 0-55 was downright shocking and it would push you back in the seat. Not sure how it would hold up to 1000lbs extra in protection addons and gear, but very economical and plenty of power. The truck is currently being used as a city commuter and getting about 23-24mpg city. (and it is for sale in the classified section by the owner)

The 1KZ-T looks like a great little motor, putting out nearly the same numbers with nearly half a liter less displacement.

I've driven in the 1KZ-TE's in hiluxs and prados.
Smooth and with a very seamless feel to them (unlike some diesels that have a very narrow powerband).

Early versions had head issues, later models seem fine.

Thanks Dougal... i don't suppose you know from what year the head issues were resolved?

If this is a good powerplant, why isn't it being swapped into Cruisers? I'm not afraid of doing something unusual, but am wary that such an adventurous group of gear heads hasn't already done it.

Go check out ToyotaDiesel.com you'll find a lot more info on the KZ engines there. Everyone seems to like them, and I have never heard of any head issues (unlike the L series engines), and the KZT seems to be the unit of choice, w/o all the electronic injection garbage. Occasionally you might see one on fleabay for ~$4000, a fair bit cheaper than a 13BT drivetrain. I'm not sure how suitable they are for a 'cruiser.

the lated models ( at least here in Panamá ) solve the head issues but are all electronic controled at the IP ..

Nice engine, but I'm not totally convinced to use it in a Cruiser .. will be much stress with really little power without the help of the turbo ..

Thanks Dougal... i don't suppose you know from what year the head issues were resolved?

If this is a good powerplant, why isn't it being swapped into Cruisers? I'm not afraid of doing something unusual, but am wary that such an adventurous group of gear heads hasn't already done it.

Most cruiser owners go for the biggest replacement engine they can fit. When it's similar effort and not much cost difference you can understand why.

Regarding the head issues, I know owners of 96 and other late 90 vehicles that had trouble. The 2003 onwards vehicles I know of are fine (so far, but should stay good).
So somewhere in between those I'd imagine.

At least because it's a common problem, it's comparatively quick and cheap to fix.

So it sounds like maybe it was the 1KZ-T that had head problems, and the 1KZ-Te didn't? This is something I need to nail down before making the purchase.

I think all of these were equipped with a turbo. The 1KZ-Te is the one with the electronic IP. From a couple blurbs I've read yo can take the IP from the -T and put it on the -Te and go mechanical.

I understand the 'bigger is better' idea for most swaps. My needs are pretty simple: my 3FE has enough power for my ambitions. It's just getting tired and I'm hitting the wall of diminishing returns with repairs -- don't want to invest much more in this engine. I hear rebuilding my engine would be somewhere on the order of $2500. I could probably do a V8 conversion for less. My cheapest option is to find a lower mileage 3FE and drop it into place, but then I still have spent a bunch of money to have crappy fuel economy.

A 6.2l diesel is one power plant strongly in the running. They're easy to find, easy to replace/repair and would get me decent power and ~20mpg. Would just need to fab up an adapter to mate to my A440, which is still stout and strong.

I really like the idea of staying Toyota. For a brief moment I had a line on a 1HD with auto and t-case for $5400. I would have taken that deal and the extra power at that price. $7200 seems to be more the more common price and that's too rich for my blood. If the 13BT and A440 is a driveable set up for a 62, which it sounds like it is, then the 1KZ-T should be all the more dandy with more power and ltorque.

$4k for a nearly new diesel drive train, ~60k miles, seems reasonable if the head doesn't blow up on me. Of course, I have no idea what troubles the actual installation will entail.

Excuse my rambling as I ponder my options..... :banana:

btw: thanks for the link to ToyotaDiesel... It looks like mostly pickup and 4Runner stuff for the 1KZ, quelle suprise, but I expect there will be some usefull threads.

I have been looking at the 1HZ but again not going to be sourced tomorrow then I saw your thread. Got me thinking about this engine for a while. Long enough to notice that three of them are on ebay now right in your price range. There is a 1HD-T as well but that is a bit more pricey. No affiliation.
Good luck.
John

I've seen quite a few video clips of the 1KZ on YouTube. They sure sound like smooth idlers for 4 cyl diesels. (I'm pretty sure I have some hearing loss from my original Canadian spec BJ60 with no sound proofing.) Smooth power/torque curves sound perfect.

I saw those on Ebay too. Compared to the diesels listed at $OR, the 1KZ looks like a pretty sweet deal. Buying a 2H from SOR for ~$3k would undoubtedly make an easier swap but less power, most likely higher miles, and I still don't know if I can adjust the valve body on the A440 to match the shift points for the 2H or if I have to get a new valve body. Decisions decisions. :bang:

1KZ-T is quiter than 1HD-T even. And 1KZ-TE is even more smooth than 1KZ-T.

But I must warn you that to my experience; 1KZ-T only is good for 70,000KM.

1KZ-T is quiter than 1HD-T even. And 1KZ-TE is even more smooth than 1KZ-T.

But I must warn you that to my experience; 1KZ-T only is good for 70,000KM.

WHAT?????
I have owned several KZJ 70 and 90 series in Belgium,some of them with more then 300.000KM on them and if you replace the head with an aftermarket one,you never have to worry about it again!Mostly the head cracks somewhere between 60.000 and a 150.000 km ,the price of a new good quality head is around 750$.Right now i have a HILUX with the new D4D4 3.0 diesel and this is just amazing to drive.If you want a 1KZ engine then find one now in the UK, there are realy some bargains now,a lot of surfs and 90 series are being sold for silly prices(2000 to 5000$ for the complete car!!!!!!!)I have bought myself a 3B last year in Belgium and i am putting it in my BJ right now.But i am considering to buy me a surf in the UK for some future plans:hmm:(hey i even spotted a nice HDJ 80 VX for less then 3500$ with the 1HDT in it:clap:)

joekatana:

WOW! How come the prices are so low? Rescission?

As for the 1KZ-T... Head cracked just below 70,000km in my case. If I show you pics of the SUV you will be quit amazed how well it is kept... never has it been used off the highway and never over reved and never past 120km/h. In other words it was kept like a queen with below 3000km oil and original Toyota filter change (oil, fuel, and air filter!). Yes... original Toyota OEM expensive filters were used with high quality ZIC 5000 oil (rated for 5000km oil change).

So we swapped a 1KZ-TE (what a pain that was!) and it is ok so far but I never trust it compared to a 13B-T or 1HD-T. Simply 1KZ blocks are piece of **** (no offense to owners!). It is no better than a 2L. They are made as such ****ty since may be because they come in cheaper vehicles?
Put an aftermarket head on any worthless engine and it will be a dragster, no doubt.

joekatana:

WOW! How come the prices are so low? Rescission?

As for the 1KZ-T... Head cracked just below 70,000km in my case. If I show you pics of the SUV you will be quit amazed how well it is kept... never has it been used off the highway and never over reved and never past 120km/h. In other words it was kept like a queen with below 3000km oil and original Toyota filter change (oil, fuel, and air filter!). Yes... original Toyota OEM expensive filters were used with high quality ZIC 5000 oil (rated for 5000km oil change).

So we swapped a 1KZ-TE (what a pain that was!) and it is ok so far but I never trust it compared to a 13B-T or 1HD-T. Simply 1KZ blocks are piece of **** (no offense to owners!). It is no better than a 2L. They are made as such ****ty since may be because they come in cheaper vehicles?
Put an aftermarket head on any worthless engine and it will be a dragster, no doubt.

The prices are dropping in the UK because the governement raised the taxes on bigger cars:bang:

You say you overprotected your 1KZ and still had troubles with it?:hmm:OFCOURSE this was a problem every 1KZ had at a certain point of his life,i know TOYOTA BELGIUM still covered some off the costs to replace the head even if the car had high mileage or was out of the warranty periode(dealer maintained cars!!!!)Me and my friends used that kind off cars for wheeling and towing,and we had absolutely NO PROBLEMS WITH THE 1KZ (except the head:meh:)For whatever it's worth i recommend the 1KZ to put into a 40 series but for a 60 or 80 i would go for the 6cilinders 12HT/1HDT/1HZ IMHO.

The 1KZ in the picture (VX version with E-lockers)had 350000km when i sold it a few years ago and it is still running today.On the day that picture was taken whe drove from Belgium to France (500 km one way)to do a litlle bit of wheeling and drove straight back without any probs.The BJ46 in the picture used to be mine also it is a 1984 with original Power steering and a Five speed:clap:and the later owner put a Turbo on it:grinpimp:
P1010011.jpg

I'm in the mids of an 1KZ swap in an FJ40 right now. I can't tell you about drivability yet, since i'm waiting for histeer parts to arrive. I will update as soon as it's drivable.
The engine came out of a 55 in which it was swapped in i believe 1997. It's a pretty gutsy engine and when kept well it can do an easy 350K km.

We also have an 1998 KZJ90 with the same engine. It has an aftermarket intercooler, increased boost, maximized the fuel delivery and a 3 inch exhaust. It has 196K km on it now and all of those are hard km's. It towes a 7000 LBS trailer on practically daily basis and is revved high. It's still alive with nothing more than oil changes.
My neighbour used to have a KZJ 90 to. He was very easy on it and it cracked the head at around 130K km.
In my humble opinion the 1KZ engines are not bad. There are just a few lemons that can crack the heads. Definately not all and i predict i'm not having a lot of trouble in the FJ40.

Some specs of the FJ40.
38.5 Boggers
5.29 gears
Full cage
Front and rear winches

It's a heavy beast, but like i said, it will be fine.

Just my two cents worth.

Mark

So it sounds like maybe it was the 1KZ-T that had head problems, and the 1KZ-Te didn't? This is something I need to nail down before making the purchase.

TE's also crack heads. There are very few toyota diesels that don't.

simple rule to live by:
do not invest money you can not afford to loose

like i have been saying all along, the KZ and all the C / L series engines have head issues. budget for a new head and the labor (roughly $4000), if this still fits your budget then do the swap. if not then look at the Heavy Duty LC engines.

do it right the first time and you will be happy, do it on the cheap with problematic parts and you will be frustrated.

also take into account what you will be using the unit for. wheeling, DD, towing, also what terrain are you driving in, what is the average summer temp, what is your driving style.
if you drive like me then the smaller engines will die a painful death. if you drive like my dad then your engine will last 1 million k.

everything has to be taken into account when doing a diesel engine swap.

simple rule to live by:
do not invest money you can not afford to loose

like i have been saying all along, the KZ and all the C / L series engines have head issues. budget for a new head and the labor (roughly $4000), if this still fits your budget then do the swap. if not then look at the Heavy Duty LC engines.

do it right the first time and you will be happy, do it on the cheap with problematic parts and you will be frustrated.

also take into account what you will be using the unit for. wheeling, DD, towing, also what terrain are you driving in, what is the average summer temp, what is your driving style.
if you drive like me then the smaller engines will die a painful death. if you drive like my dad then your engine will last 1 million k.

everything has to be taken into account when doing a diesel engine swap.

How do you come up with 4000$ to fix the head!!!Here in Panama a good quality head costs around 750$,in Belgium and Holland i used to pay around 750 euro.Do not use original Toyota heads they will crack again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom