diagnosis needed:rear diff gear oil change out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I am finishing putting in an elocker rear axle out of a 96 4runner (129K miles) into my 97 4runner and just drained the rear diff gear oil from 96 elocker axle. The diff was leaking gear oil due to a loose drain plug so there was not much in there beyond about 3-4 ozs.
I noticed some very very fine gold/brass colored particles within the gear oil.
I have not driven the car with the new axle as of yet, so I am not sure if there is a problem yet.

My question to all, is this normal to see this?

thanks,

gold/brass particles? dont think thats normal. seeing small amounts silver/greyish metallic paste is normal, bigger separate chunks of metal is not normal. did you keep the stock gears on the elocker 3rd? how did they look?

They are extremely small, particles, sorta like fine dirt grit to describe if as best I can. The oil does not look contaminated, so I am not sure. This is my first time changing gear oil out, so I did not know what to expect.
To answer your questions, I kept the stock gears in the 3rd. 4.10 gear ratio. I did not take it apart to do anything to it as it was a complete axle swap out. SHould I open it up and check?

gold/brass particles? dont think thats normal. seeing small amounts silver/greyish metallic paste is normal, bigger separate chunks of metal is not normal. did you keep the stock gears on the elocker 3rd? how did they look?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom