Interest: Low Range T-Case Gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I and several engineering buddies are thinking about seeing if we can design and build low gear sets for the factory cruiser t-case. Our goal would be at least 4:1, minimal case modification, if any (all hand tools that anyone would have), and a cost under $600. (remember these are goals, not promises :) )

I'm curious what the interest is like. I'm not sure yet if it can be done, or if we could bring it to the market, depends on interest and actual price, but at the very least we're going to at least try to get two sets, mainly cause I want one.

My question for everyone is, are you interested, and what would you give for a set?

If you can get a 4:1 built and sell it for $600 you will sell a ton of them. You may not make any money, but you will sell a ton of them.

Hell, if you can get a 3.5:1 on the market for well under a grand you will probably do well. Many threads here on searches about people wanting lower case gears.

If you do it. Lower the Hi range gear so you can run bigger tires without haveing to change the R/P! This is prety standerd for the Suzuki guys. Heck for my old Samurai I had 6.5:1

They used to say that about the Samurai. That 4:1 was as deep as you could go without major modification. Now you can get 6.5:1 from Trail Gear that is just a swap out for $495. You can also get a 8:1 if you want to grind a bit. I think the reason that it has not been done for us is two fold:

1. A perceived lack of interest by the manufactures.

2. The people that make the gears have not wanted to change the High range from 1:1 That would take a lot more engineering/money! But what do I know!

GO FOR IT GUYS I'LL BUY THEM IN A HEART BEAT!:steer:

Last edited:
If it gets to 3.5:1 or higher Im in for under a grand, Im not that interested in a lower high gear, Id just as soon lower my r&p gears. 1:1 high seems to work just fine, plus I am sure it would just make the kit more expensive than a lower low range only.

How about finding out how to bolt a split case to the back of our automatics... Then you could run a ToyBox or just a lower gearset and have part-time. Just a thought!

Is a split case that much smaller that there would be room for the toy box???

It is going to be almost impossible to engineer, test, and produce gears (high or low, or both) for a "cheap price" (less than $1000 a set).

But, that being said, I think you would have a huge clientele if you were able to pull it off with a reasonably easy 80 series owner idiot proof technical documentation.

Good luck guys.

Do it! When you get it together, you can sell it as a gear kit for DIY or a complete bolt on kit (T-Case with the new gears) ;)

How about finding out how to bolt a split case to the back of our automatics... Then you could run a ToyBox or just a lower gearset and have part-time. Just a thought!

Yeah, I hear you I keep hoping that Klune would just make an adapter so it could be fitted!

well... i cant make any guarantees, except i'm going to try...

frankly the idea is stemming from the shear fact i want one, and i have access to enough resources that if it can be done, i'm sure we can do it.

right now i'm planning on keeping the high range the same, but seeing how there's interest and its all in the experimental stages, we can definately keep that option open for later...

i know that other people have looked at it, but i also know that just because someone else has considered it, but didnt do it, doesnt mean its not possible. at the very least, if its not possible, i'll at least be able to give a solid technical foundation for why its not and what it would take to make it possible. All i know is, I WANT ONE. :) and if it can be done, i'm going to find a way. and if its marketable, i'd love to be able to share it with fellow 4wheelers....

at the very least, if we can pull it off, i'll probably need some testers. Christo, with your experience, widsom, and good standing with the cruiser community, i'd love to have you be one, but i dont think you have an 80 right now, do you?

i plan on keeping this thread updated as the project progresses... i right now just need to find some time to tear apart my case and reverse engineer it. unfortunately i'm remodeling my house, so i've got to get that done. if anyone has some great pics or threads regarding the internals of the t-case, or any technical documentation, i'd love to see it.

I also want to let everyone know that quality is going to be one of our top priorities... theres nothing that i hate more than going wheelin and having to fix your junk because of cheap, improperly designed crap. however i also know that what works on paper, doesnt necesarily work in the field, so if we get to the point that we have prototypes, some hardcore testing will be in order.

i also want to thank all you that support it. like i said, i cant say for sure that its possible, but we're going to try our hardest. i've also considered a dual box, but with the space limitations, i've decided that a replacement lower geared set would most likely be the best choice.

at the very least, if we can pull it off, i'll probably need some testers. Christo, with your experience, widsom, and good standing with the cruiser community, i'd love to have you be one, but i dont think you have an 80 right now, do you?

I would love to see what you can come up with but do not have high hopes. We have spoken to Marks about that at length. There is no space in the case. Ask Dusty that just installed a set of 2:1 gears.

Also, the problem with a single low range is you loose a lot of what the 80 can do. However as the trucks evolve into more wheeling trucks, people might go for it. However ask the people that so want it, if they ever owned a vehicle with a single low range that is close to crawling. You will see that not a lot have. It stucks, I can tell you from experience, unless it is a dedicated crawler truck. Even then you need options.

I also want to let everyone know that quality is going to be one of our top priorities... theres nothing that i hate more than going wheelin and having to fix your junk because of cheap, improperly designed crap. however i also know that what works on paper, doesnt necesarily work in the field, so if we get to the point that we have prototypes, some hardcore testing will be in order.

$600 is a good selling price, but I doubt you will be able to pull that off based on the numbers that you would be making these in.

i also want to thank all you that support it. like i said, i cant say for sure that its possible, but we're going to try our hardest. i've also considered a dual box, but with the space limitations, i've decided that a replacement lower geared set would most likely be the best choice.

Don't let my cloud of pessimism stop you. It is just that we have spent a lot of time looking at the various options.

I'd definitely be interested in a set as well...3.5-4.0 would be about right

I run a single 4:1 case in my FJ40 with no complaints...it runs fine on the trail and with the automatic/overdrive, there isn't any issue with between-trail speeds.

I would be interested, if you could get a toybox/reduction setup I would be more interested...especially if you could lower the price point and up the reliability.

Just a newb here (who knows nothing about gearing); a higher high gear would seem to be a good thing for those of us who drive long highway distances daily; better MPG? I read on this site about the Fairey ?27% OD, but that apparently only worked on the older ?split cases?? My stock 80's highway rpms are something like 500 higher compared to my car.

Also, the problem with a single low range is you loose a lot of what the 80 can do. However as the trucks evolve into more wheeling trucks, people might go for it. However ask the people that so want it, if they ever owned a vehicle with a single low range that is close to crawling. You will see that not a lot have. It stucks, I can tell you from experience, unless it is a dedicated crawler truck. Even then you need options.

I had a Samurai that had 6.5:1 transfer case gears and I loved it It was my DD for two years until my second child was born. I had no problems. I drove it to the Rubicon 4x's (10hrs away) at 75mph plus NO problems, Need I say it again... No problems! I will tell this, those gears transformed that little truck. When people were spinning there tires. I would idle passed them... OK what does this have to do with gears for our trucks. Well when I firs built my Sami. 4:1 was it; you couldn't get any lower! There was no space, it was said time and time again! A few years later a company called Calmini came out with 5.89:1 then 6.0 then 6.5 with no mod to the t-case! Now you can get 8:1 however you do have to grind in inside of the case for those. Anyway, let Cory try.
Dave

$600 is a good selling price, but I doubt you will be able to pull that off based on the numbers that you would be making these in.

Don't let my cloud of pessimism stop you. It is just that we have spent a lot of time looking at the various options.

Really what is up with you lately? You used to always be a happy go lucky guy. DO you need to get l--- or what? :D:bounce:

Respectfully,

Dave

im still installing the 3:1 marks gears in my tcase now. the low gear (the big one) doesn't fit. the marks instructions show how to gring out the case to fit the low gear. it is impossible to run a lower gearset unless the gears you are designing also come with a modified case.

not to be a half empty naysayer and i wish you the best of luck but you should GIVE UP NOW and redirect your brain power.

i must also comment that the tcase gear install has not been an easy one thus far. im still looking for a small pin i may have lost. i may need to disect my second case to get another pin. The 80 tcase a precision intrument. this isn't the dana 20 you disected on the floor of your living room in an hour. such a beefy case. makes the dana 300 seem puny once you open the 80 case-gears are wide and the lubricating provisions are impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom