"Clunked" me a new drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up the cruiser on Saturday noticed the dreaded clunk. Never had it on my lc100 w/ 200k on the odo. Figured I would take in the 200 for 5000 mile service to local dealer, that selling dealer said had been perfomred, NOT.

Told local dealer about TSB on clunk, they said online tsb notices BS. Called toyota USA complaining of clunk, before dropping off at dealer, seems to have worked.

Certainly hope this resolves clunk. I have enjoyed driving my lc100 for the last 10 years, absolutely the best vehicle I have owned. Had reservations on new 200, price-mpg-durabilty, hoping it will live up to the old gal. Otherwise back to the drawing board.

Picked up the cruiser on Saturday noticed the dreaded clunk. Never had it on my lc100 w/ 200k on the odo. Figured I would take in the 200 for 5000 mile service to local dealer, that selling dealer said had been perfomred, NOT.

Told local dealer about TSB on clunk, they said online tsb notices BS. Called toyota USA complaining of clunk, before dropping off at dealer, seems to have worked.

Certainly hope this resolves clunk. I have enjoyed driving my lc100 for the last 10 years, absolutely the best vehicle I have owned. Had reservations on new 200, price-mpg-durabilty, hoping it will live up to the old gal. Otherwise back to the drawing board.

Huh??? I'm confused. So did you buy a 200? If it has the cluck there is a TSB on it. Just bring it in and have a new drive shaft installed.

There is already a thread on this, btw...

Bought dealer demo 200 over the weekend. Noticed it had the clunk. Which I had read about hear. Took it in to local dealer. Local dealer denied that TSB exsisted. Callled Toyota USA, confirmed TSB, but said it did not apply to my specific VIN. Local Dealer Called stating that they had to replace Drive shaft.

I had heard some people were having problems with dealers and the TSB. I thought I would post my experience, especially contacting Toyota USA directly before dropping off at dealer.

I'm not sure why a dealer not do the work, they get paid for the work , so that really doesn't make sense.

Agreed...

Thanks for the clarification ;)

I had my driveshaft replaced at about 3K miles. I'm at 6K now and it's back. Will need to take it in to the dealer again at some point.

I had my driveshaft replaced at about 3K miles. I'm at 6K now and it's back. Will need to take it in to the dealer again at some point.

They probably lied and didn't even replace it. Early on with the TSB (I believe) they only re-lubed parts (not sure which...). Take it back and make sure the new shaft is put in.

I had mine done at like 1K or something, and now at 7K it's still good. (Don't laugh DTT -- I don't drive very far!)

Me Too

Took mine to the dealer regarding the "clunk". They didn't hear any noise but greased up the shaft. I took the tech and service rep for a drive and explained it's not something your hear, rather something you "feel". That said, they acknowledged the sensation and ordered a new shaft.

I had a clunk with my Excursion diesel, which I miss terribly, but Ford just said it was "driving characteristic" of the vehicle. Wonder why they are having such poor sales...

They probably lied and didn't even replace it. Early on with the TSB (I believe) they only re-lubed parts (not sure which...). Take it back and make sure the new shaft is put in.

I had mine done at like 1K or something, and now at 7K it's still good. (Don't laugh DTT -- I don't drive very far!)

Well took it into the dealer and they confirmed the clunk. Since they already replaced the driveshaft they had a Toyota rep come out. Tech observed that the driveshaft was not properly greased (wasn't done at the 5K service) so instead of replacing they greased it and recommended that the driveshaft be greased at every regular service interval as part of scheduled maintenance. Greasing the driveshaft every 5K miles? Seems like overkill...:bounce2:

I'm not sure why a dealer not do the work, they get paid for the work , so that really doesn't make sense.

The dealer does not get paid as much as they would if the vehicle was not under warranty or the owners fault.

Just a quick update. New drive shaft is in and so far, all is well, no more hesitation or "clunk" at take off. I've already towed with her since the fix and still smooth.

Thanks to this forum,I was able to explain things a bit better the the service tech and point him to the tsb. :clap:

The dealer does not get paid as much as they would if the vehicle was not under warranty or the owners fault.

The difference is $10 bucks an hour, so there is still profit and they need all the work they can get. Normal rate runs about $113. labor rate per hr. Warranty pays $110 labor rate per hr. and the operative word is labor , if the book says bill 4 hours and the job takes 3, I think you get it.

Lou

The difference is $10 bucks an hour, so there is still profit and they need all the work they can get. Normal rate runs about $113. labor rate per hr. Warranty pays $110 labor rate per hr. and the operative word is labor , if the book says bill 4 hours and the job takes 3, I think you get it.

Lou

Yes, but in the same sense it can work the other way. The book may say that a certain job should take 2 hours, but something goes wrong and it takes 4, they still only get paid for the 2, correct?

Yes, but in the same sense it can work the other way. The book may say that a certain job should take 2 hours, but something goes wrong and it takes 4, they still only get paid for the 2, correct?

Yes, that is correct, but very rare in a warranty case because you are usually just replacing parts which in most cases is pretty straight forward.

Lou

Yes, that is correct, but very rare in a warranty case because you are usually just replacing parts which in most cases is pretty straight forward.

Lou

Hmm....thanks...good to know :)

Well took it into the dealer and they confirmed the clunk. Since they already replaced the driveshaft they had a Toyota rep come out. Tech observed that the driveshaft was not properly greased (wasn't done at the 5K service) so instead of replacing they greased it and recommended that the driveshaft be greased at every regular service interval as part of scheduled maintenance. Greasing the driveshaft every 5K miles? Seems like overkill...:bounce2:

Sorry to unburry the old thread. Just wanted to say that greasing the driveshafts is so easy that you can do it yourself. I have a 100 series cruiser and if I am not mistaken it is recommended in the manuals to grease the shafts every time you do water crossings. So...

Just to say thank you. I live in South Africa and discovered this site with all the useful information.

I found the site after searching for a clunk sound at the back of the Cruiser 200 series. My local dealer in SA said it is normal and all of the Cruiser 200 series does it. I couldn't believe it and started doing some research.

With the Service Bulletin I found on this site I was able to convince my dealer that there is a problem.

They were more worried about where I got the Service Bulletin than about the problem.

Today I received my Cruiser back with a new drive shaft fitted. No more clunk.

Thanks again for all the info posted.

reliving this old thread, I had my shaft replaced , or maybe the didn't, it was a beautiful l 3-5K miles without the clunk and now its back... I wil lube, because I had to do that to my 100, but will take back to the dealer and see what they say. This was done on a 2008 under TSB warranty regarding the clunk shaft at 89K miles. Its just so annoying, that Toyota hasn't figured out how to get this issue fixed once and for all.

Wonder what the newest 200 series that has suffered the clunk? Wonder if Toyota/Lexus has fixed this problem since no reports by owners of newer models?

I have a 2011 and I don't feel any clunk. Are you felling it after you stop, or when you come off the brake and begin acceleration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom